Insurance Trouble :(

TheRabbiJones

Could be your occupation. My son has 2x NCB at 24. His insurance on a Z is about £2800ish as a serving soldier.

Change his occupation to Computer Engineer and it drops to £800ish

Insurance logic:

Computer Engineer will use his car daily, park it publicly, and even park it in dodgy areas from time to time - Low risk

Soldier parks his car on a Military Base, guarded by men with guns, high fences and razor wire. Rarely use the car. Park it up for months on end - High risk.

Dicks.

Edited by Juggalo
  • Like 2

Could be your occupation. My son has 2x NCB at 24. His insurance on a Z is about £2800ish as a serving soldier.

Insurance logic:

Computer Engineer will use his car daily, park it publicly, and even park it in dodgy areas from time to time - Low risk

Soldier parks his car on a Military Base, guarded by men with guns, high fences and razor wire. Rarely use the car. Park it up for months on end - High risk.

Dicks.

shhh, don't tell them that or my insurance might go up!

ooof!!! That's a beast of a quote, yeah as people said occupation, points, any accidents, claims in the last few years, they can all push it up. I've just been quoted (and accepted haha) £489.50 for mine this year...5years NCB, no incidents (as there all past the time limits insurances ask for) ...mind you I am 29 lol

Keep trying, you'll find something. Some insures still won't insure me due to the exhaust and rear tints... ridiculous haha

Edited by AMT

Insurance logic:

Dicks.

shhh, don't tell them that or my insurance might go up!

He played the semantics game and put himself down as a surveyor in Security. He's in Reconnaissance, so he surveys the enemy and the battlefield. And he works in National Security. Ha!

Insurance logic:

Dicks.

I thought soldiers had to drive themselves to the middle east? Maybe insurance companies are also confused about the logistical side of the army.

• Like 1

You can always keep your car at another address legitimately, mine is not kept at my home address and the insurance company has been notified, it made no difference as the postcode carried the same loading. If it gets stolen from your home address you probably wont get paid out however.

Just an idea, would fitting a tracker make any difference?

Possibly, but then you have to weigh up the additional cost of having the tracker fitted plus the annual sub. I hated the one on my old car, it was a right faff and gave so many false warnings it was unreal.

You can always keep your car at another address legitimately, mine is not kept at my home address and the insurance company has been notified, it made no difference as the postcode carried the same loading. If it gets stolen from your home address you probably wont get paid out however.

Depends, if the car is there for just a couple of nights then that would be fine (no different to going on holiday really), but obviously if it lived there then there would be cause for an issue. Unlikely you wouldn't get paid out though, it's more probable they'd just take the extra premium from your payout before giving you the balance.

You don't actually believe that, do you?! :lol:

If I drive to a friends' house and stay the night, and the car gets nicked, do you think they won't pay out then? What about if I park in town, have a few beers then go to collect the next day, only to discover the car isn't there?

As long as you're honest with the insurer, there won't be a problem. You did exactly the right thing the way you handled it, if only everyone was that sensible :thumbs:

i have been looking at buying a Z for the past few months, and when i finally have the money to buy one the insurance is coming out at £2600 For the year using comparison websites. I have just got off the phone with sky insurance and they are saying they can't insure me even though i'm 24 with 2 years NCD :dry::angry::wacko: all a bit ridiculous if you ask me i also live in London any one have any advice?

Try aviva, I'm 21 and £800 for a Zed with 3 years ncd, i have a motoring conviction as well!!

You don't actually believe that, do you?! :lol:

If I drive to a friends' house and stay the night, and the car gets nicked, do you think they won't pay out then? What about if I park in town, have a few beers then go to collect the next day, only to discover the car isn't there?

As long as you're honest with the insurer, there won't be a problem. You did exactly the right thing the way you handled it, if only everyone was that sensible :thumbs:

If you have given the insurance company an address where the car is kept and its stolen from your home address i.e where the policy is registered but not kept, i bet they would they would be very interested in why the car wasnt at the postcode its registered as being kept. Otherwise, whats the point of it, if it was stolen from where you keep it, you could just say, i was staying at a mates like you say.

:lol: Tin foil hat with that, sir? :lol:

They might ask a couple of neighbours to see if the car is actually kept at the address, but otherwise it's not even an issue as long as you're telling the truth. So do you actually, honestly think that they won't pay out if the car is stolen from any other address other than the registered one?! I mean, you don't and you're only trolling me, right?

• Like 1

There was a guy on the E30 forums, back in the day, that had his car stolen from outside his house. His insurance ended up not paying out as he had it down as being garaged when it wasn't on the evening it was stolen (it usually was).

I've no idea what relevance this has to the thread, I just wanted to tell the story after all these years. Be careful with insurance I guess? I don't know.

• Like 1

:lol: Tin foil hat with that, sir? :lol:

They might ask a couple of neighbours to see if the car is actually kept at the address, but otherwise it's not even an issue as long as you're telling the truth. So do you actually, honestly think that they won't pay out if the car is stolen from any other address other than the registered one?! I mean, you don't and you're only trolling me, right?

You seem to be missing the point:

As above, why do insurance companies ask where the car is kept, garaged, driveway etc If it doesnt matter, whats the point in asking?

Of course they will pay out its nicked from outside a mates not the registered kept address, but that is a completely different thing from if its nicked from your home address and you have said its NOT kept there and as you say they ask the neighbours and all confirm the car is always kept there, you will definitely have some explaining to do. As you say in ever other insurance related thread, dont give them any excuses not to pay.

I had an MX5 stolen from outside of my parents house 2 years ago, the address the car was kept on my policy was 15 miles away. They still paid out. It's just where the car is kept the majority of the time, insurance companies can't expect the car to be at the same address for 365 days a year. What happens if you're staying at a hotel and it's stolen from their car park?

Edited by ryanhavana

Shocking how few people seem to understand how insurance works, theres no hard and fast anything, youre either high risk or youre not depending on age, vehicle, location, profession and all sorts. You might be 18 with 1 month experience and be able to get a quote of £300 on a Zed but it doesnt mean a 24 year old living somewhere else with the same car would.

Like Stew said, the value of the car doesnt make a difference either, Ive had 3PFT quote come out higher than FC on the same vehicle, work that out.

A broker friend of mine says its down to the comparison sites, they just use averages for everything so while the 45 year old Mondeo owner living in Northampton gets a good deal they cannot handle anomalies, you need to find a broker :)

• Like 1

^ this

I know it's different situation but my nephew is learning to drive. We did a quote for him

18 years old

Licence less than a year (but assuming he'd passed)

£250 15 year old 1 litre micra

Postcode right slap bang in the middle of Manchester

£1000 excess

Only 4 companies would quote from MS.com

£7500

£10500

£13500

£15000

Thst simply has to be his postcode. It can't be anything else otherwise no one would drive a car

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Edited by Ricey@revolveautomotive

You seem to be missing the point:

As above, why do insurance companies ask where the car is kept, garaged, driveway etc If it doesnt matter, whats the point in asking?

Of course they will pay out its nicked from outside a mates not the registered kept address, but that is a completely different thing from if its nicked from your home address and you have said its NOT kept there and as you say they ask the neighbours and all confirm the car is always kept there, you will definitely have some explaining to do.

No, that was my exact point all along. I'd even said it twice already in this thread! :bang: