350z running costs?

iNezzy

Hi,

Apologies if this is the wrong section!

For a long long time i have wanted either a Old style Skyline R34.. or a new GTR...

After finally admitting that a decent Skyline or GT-R is not going to happen mainly due to initial cost, i have been looking at other cars.. The top of that list is a 350z, what are they like for daily running ? I go approx. 10k miles per year... Looking at like fuel/tyres/brakes mainly. Insurance/Tax are not really an issue. Also, how would a Zed likely be as a compromise to a GT-R? Is it still likely to leave a cheesey grin?

Thanks!

I'm still grinning 7 years on !

As for fuel 24 mpg average

Now on my third set of tyres having done 35k on the last two sets.

Second set of pads and new discs at 50k

However all of these depend on your driving style. I guess I'm easy going.

Edited by SHEZZA

It all depends on your budget, style of driving, and types of driving ( as in motorway or town sorta thing )

I occasionally do motorway journeys, as in an hour, and averaged 33 mpg just cruising above the speed limit.

On my commute to work which is an 8 mile journey with a mix of 30,40 and 60 mph sections, I generally average 25-27 mpg depending on traffic and how excited I get with the throttle

These figures actually match what I was getting in my E46 318i - So I'm very happy with it :D

I haven't owned her long enough for maintenance, but spares are reasonably priced considering performance parts. Brakes are £70 a corner for discs more or less depending on where you look, but many will tell you to speak to some traders on here and get up-rated discs for literally £5 more - Sometimes there are specials running that give you great upgrades, £400 for all 4 corners - Discs and pads!!! Not bloody bad if I do say so myself.

Tyres really depend on what you do, I've seen people go through a set in as little as 8k on the rears, yet others who are more gentle and as stated above, last well above 20k. Just please don't skimp on the only thing keeping you on the road. People swear by Michelin Pilot Super Sports on here, for good reason. Not much more than your middle grade tyre and feedback is nothing short of fantastic.

Tax varies between models, pre facelift/06 models being £285 a year for tax, and 06 onwards being £500 - In my opinion it's not worth sacrificing a great car to save essentially 3 fuel tanks worth of V juice ( yeah that sounds dirty, and I like it ) The facelift brings a nice, well, facelift to the car. Have a look on google for the subtle exterior tweaks, and the interior not so subtle ones.

The satnav is actually so bad it adds literally no value to a car, very outdated system and a pain in the arse to use, yet easily replaced so don't worry about that.

Have a browse of the common issues with the 350's and you'll be thankful for it. Find any 350z with an issue on the list, and you have a rough idea of cost to fix it, and also help diagnose what is wrong. Never be afraid to walk away, they aren't that rare of a car to find, but I waited nearly 8 months to find one I was truly happy with, and it still has its quirks I need to iron out.

That peddle on the right, the one that makes it go vroom ties directly to cheesy grins... mash it hard and your face hurts. Weird. Something else I noticed, if you keep your foot down on it, and then take it off to change gears, then put it back down, repeating this process, smiles stay on the face!

On a serious note, it's a hugely capable car, fast, looks great, superbly comfortable cruiser or loud brute. It does it all. Even has a lot of storage space if you get creative with it :D

You won't regret getting one, and Zeditis will set in, and you'll be hooked on the next big part you want for it. I know I am.

• Like 3

Day to day costs are nothing out of the ordinary however the biggest reason for costs I have experienced so far are:

- Replacing the window motor (common issue)

- Replacing the banana arms (common issue)

- Major service + sparks

If you can find one that has had the above done you shouldn't have to worry about it for a couple of years :lol:

Edited by Sargara

Running costs will be less than an R34 and considerably less than an R35.

MPG - Assume low 20's unless you're crawling on the motorway all day

Service - £100-300 depending on what you're having done

Decent Tyres - £600-700

Decent Discs and Pads - £600-700

Just make sure you check the oil regularly and only use Super Unleaded - Or they become considerably more expensive when you need a new engine! :thumbs:

• Like 3

Strangely my zed has an uprev tune from abbey and it does around 32 mpg.

Granny shifting and not double clutching like you're supposed to? Where and how do you drive to get 32 mpg? Mine is just about 20, but then I commute every day and like the sound of my exhaust! :)

Edited by Paddy78

Depends which model you get. When I had my zed it was costing me about £1300 a month all in.

Super Unleaded, at about 20->25mpg on a typical "gentle" daily 90 mile commute for me which consisted of about 6 miles of 30mph then the rest cruising at between 50 and 80. At the time I was spending about £450 a month on petrol.

Tax - £550 a year for me as mine was an HR

Insurance - £900 for me as a 40 year old with 22 years NCB living in a quiet area, but your mileage may vary.

Tyres lasted about 20k for me, cost £650 for a set of Falkens. Quite reasonable as the tyres on my BMW 1 series cost me £900 a set.

MOT is same as any car, servicing was cheaper than my wifes Peugeot 307. You can do it yourself, its really easy. Oil + Filter + Air Filter/s (2 if its an HR). All easy and simple to do. Nissan use the same £4 oil filter on the zed as they do on a Nissan Micra. Other items you may want to check if it needs are new spark plugs - they are every 5 or 6 years or X many miles. Brake fluid should be changed every so often and Aux belts.

I needed new brake pads at about 35k miles, I went for DS2500. £250 a set. Again, easy to fit if you have the brembos.

Other than that, for me, depreciation was the biggest factor. My zed lost about £4000 a year in the time I had it. However, the prices seem to have stabilized a lot now so if you get the right car, you will only loose a minimal amount.

I liked having the zed as a daily runner, but the biggest problem I found was that as I was driving it every day, the fun special exciting feeling you get when you only drive a car at the weekend soon went. Weekend would come and id really not fancy using it as id been using it to poodle to work & back in. Whereas, if I kept it to only drive at weekends, every time I got in the car I knew it would be for a fun thrash out and id seem to really enjoy the car a lot more. I found the same when I used to use my Ducati as a daily. Weekend came and id just not fancy a ride out on it.

I've just bought a cheap primera 1.8 to use over winter and the zed is considerably better on fuel.

Same here - I can get 32 on a hour plus run - 24 if I play - Uprev @ Abbey. Mark did say consumption is improved at the time.

Running costs are the same as my former Fiesta ST, which is nice.

Parts are a lot more expensive compared to Ford I've found. For example

Mintex vented rear discs with pads.

ST - £31

350Z - £109

Edited by Juggalo

Lucky he did not blow the welds on the intake :)

Granny shifting and not double clutching like you're supposed to? Where and how do you drive to get 32 mpg? Mine is just about 20, but then I commute every day and like the sound of my exhaust! :)

• Like 1

I did write a long answer to this but want really adding much value.

Most people have it covered, look at the service kits on the traders pages for all that, tyres will depends on the wheels of course.. The MPG reported above are in line with mine and high octane is a must.

Have a price up of

Annual services of oils, filters and fluids

Tyres (good ones) at 9000 miles per set

Brake pads prob about the same as tyres, I have not changed mine yet so not sure.

Insurance is anyone's guess

Tax can vary in model 55 and up I think is the higher bracket mines £265 I think for a 04' plate

Then add 10%.

Consider the other service items as per the service schedule on this site depending on what mileage car you get and it's history.

Edit: I though this was the short answer anyway

Edited by Oggieteepo

same as

25mpg

fronts tyres (bridestone) 20k+

rear tyres 10k+

set edc discs £200 new, £60 reskim

set edc redstuff pads £70

1lt oil topup every 1k miles with nissan oem 5w30 - £4

1ltr of oil every 1k miles? Have you forgot to put your sump plug in...

Checked my oil for the first time last night (I've only had it 3 weeks) and my is it fiddly!

• Like 1

same as

25mpg

fronts tyres (bridestone) 20k+

rear tyres 10k+

set edc discs £200 new, £60 reskim

set edc redstuff pads £70

1lt oil topup every 1k miles with nissan oem 5w30 - £4

1ltr of oil every 1k miles? Have you forgot to put your sump plug in...

Checked my oil for the first time last night (I've only had it 3 weeks) and my is it fiddly!

within limits apparently - each Z differs