21 year old son

Quinster

Im 21 and only have 1 years ncb, been driving for 2 years and had my license for nearly 4. Was a named driver on my first car and long story short they wouldn't take it as a year ncb cause I wasnr the main driver, despite them telling me I would. Any ways.

With 1 years NCB I pay about £150 a month to insure my Z which is £12 more than my first car cost me.

But as a 2nd driver I can't get insured on someones Z without paying double that :/

He may have to have his own separate policy

• Like 1

Always a way round it. Either he insures himself on a separate policy, or he takes a policy out with the co-op (who I'm guessing you're with?).

That said, why can't you just put him on your policy as a named driver?

He may have to have his own separate policy

Is that possible? I always thought that a car can only be insured once and by the owner. Anyway, 25 seems to be the dividing line for being added to a policy as a named driver on a Zed and probably on lots of other cars too. When I first got my Zed that was one of the conditions. I guess insurance companies think that young people who actually own the car are a safer bet than someone driving dad's or mum's car.

Pete

You can insure a car regardless of owner and by as many people on as many policies as possible. You can only claim on one policy though, and some insurers get a bit funny insuring you on cars you don't own.

Many are absolutely fine with it though. :)

do you mean companies are flat out refusing to insure him as a named driver, or were you thinking of using the 'can also drive other vehicles with the owners permission' part? if its the latter that normally starts from age 25...

Yeah, that'll be it.

ive recently insured my zed through Aviva at 1200 a year I.e. 110 a month with a 800 pound excess as im under 25.....after speaking to a lad at santa pod on sunday, he has less NCD than me and is a year younger but pays 700 a year with elephant! I think ill be ringing round again! I must add that im 22 with 5 years NCD, no points, no claims and live in a very good post code which is basically anywhere that isn't the north or London ;)

Ah, sussed It. Insurance companies don't seem to like soldiers...that leave their car locked in a heavily guarded military base and rarely get driven.

Insurance has no logic.

I'm in the military, have 2 years ncb and pay about 750 a year for my Zed and a run around corsa.