How do I clean/ blacken my soft top

Quinster

I'm going to clean my car today and wondered what products to use on the roof.

A guy in work with a BMW soft top advised using Back to Black to restored the colour of the roof.

Thought I'd ask on here as well.

Also, is there a preferred cleaner to use on roofs?

I've never had a soft top before so this is all new to me.

Thanks.

Robert.

I use Fabsil. It waterproofs, returns the roof back to black, and protects against UV. I recommend at least two coats as winter is coming.

I've heard Autoglym is very good too, but that price always put me off...maybe I'm just a tight arse lol

Fabsil - £10 1 litre

AGlym - £20 500 ml

:blush:

The OEM roof isn't actually fabric, it's some weird Japanese vinyl so although these kits work I went a different route. Mine was full of mould, that horrible green stuff so I gave it a couple of warm washes with Hibiscrub, the stuff they 'scrub-up' with before they operate, I repeat this every spring and that has totally cured the mould problem. For reproofing I have used Scotchguard-like products in the past but recently found http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0035FAYKS?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00 this stuff which works a treat, although there's a product called 303 which also works well. I have also found that for my regular cleaning this stuff http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001RE3FLO/ref=pd_sim_200_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=1JQ4PYHN6ZTH0WXV0XZW&dpID=51q79x4B1aL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR132%2C160_ which also does what it says on the tin/plastic bottle! :)

As for blackening, the Scotchguard gives it a kind of lighter shine which I think looks OK on my Gunmetal car, while the 303 Aerospace stuff makes it black and shiny. :teeth:

• Like 2

Thanks for the replies.

You've gave me plenty options.

I'll get on it this week.

A service is top of the list.

Needs a new auxiliary belt too.

Seem to be losing coolant somewhere but there's no visible leak?

I topped up the expansion tank yesterday and it's at low again.

Also needed oil too.

I'm getting there slowly.

Thanks again.

The OEM roof isn't actually fabric, it's some weird Japanese vinyl so although these kits work I went a different route. Mine was full of mould, that horrible green stuff so I gave it a couple of warm washes with Hibiscrub, the stuff they 'scrub-up' with before they operate, I repeat this every spring and that has totally cured the mould problem. For reproofing I have used Scotchguard-like products in the past but recently found http://www.amazon.co...ailpage_o02_s00 this stuff which works a treat, although there's a product called 303 which also works well. I have also found that for my regular cleaning this stuff http://www.amazon.co...132,160_��which also does what it says on the tin/plastic bottle! :)

As for blackening, the Scotchguard gives it a kind of lighter shine which I think looks OK on my Gunmetal car, while the 303 Aerospace stuff makes it black and shiny. :teeth:

Nikwax is brilliant stuff, can't believe I didn't think of it at the time. I've even got a bottle of Polar Wash for my hiking gear.

Must buy some of that.

Blown head gasket?

Hope not.

There's no smoke and it's running perfectly.

I topped it up when the engine was off.

Do you think that may be it?

Maybe just not topped it up enough.

(I hope).

Blown head gasket?

Hope not.

There's no smoke and it's running perfectly.

I topped it up when the engine was off.

Do you think that may be it?

Maybe just not topped it up enough.

(I hope).

Maybe not then. I had a similar problem on a different car. Losing coolant, no visible leak.

It was the water pump leaking slowly, and the heat of the engine vapourising the drips before they had a chance to hit the floor.

• Like 1

Some do burn oil, at varying rates, there's no real rule of thumb! Mine burns more trawling around than on an errr spirited blast (ragging it!). The water thingy, mine seems to just kind of lose it if i fill the expansion tank up to where it's supposed to be - only done it twice, my own fault for not putting the cap back on and losing a bit! :blush: and the week after when I rechecked. Been perfectly ok since though. :teeth:

• Like 1

For.cleaning/colour restoration of your roadster roof, you may wish to consider Renovo products,

Whilst I use the Autoglym product on my roadster roof, it is excellent and cleaning and waterproofing, but not colour restoration.

My neighbour has just used Renovo on a fairly old BMW Z3 roof and it has come up like new.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1