New vented wings inspection/review - now fitted with pics

zebedy

So, Ive just received a pair of vented wings off ebay. You know the ones....about 4 different sellers selling off the same picture. Decided to get the ones from Ireland but to be honest I think they all come from the same place in Poland. here they are....

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item280738e16e

Anyway, packaging for these were pretty good with no damage at all. BUT....

upon inspection I could see that the Gel coat was very thin. So thin that I could actually see through it in some areas when held up to the light.

Also they have only used 1 layer of matt, possibly two, but well bellow 350g/m2. This makes them quite flimsy but from experience do stiffen up when mounted onto the car.

They need some work in preping as the gelcoat has a few dings, puls on corners, shabby trimming etc etc.

I've worked in a GRP company for 6 years in the past in the drawing office so none of the above scares me and have seen it all before and that's the nature of poor production methods.

I'll be adding two layers of mat behind to beef the panels up a bit then using UPOL-Fantastic Polyester filler on the outside to make sure alls well on the gel coat.

I just did not expect this amount of work would be needed having paid £200 inc delivery for them compared to my Amuse bumper I've fitted from RT which amounted to no work, just went straight on after drilling the mounting holes. POLES APPART IN QUALITY

Anyway heres the item if anyones interested. Pics will follow of my work needed on these before fitting.

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item280738e16e

Keep you all posted with my roadster project over the winter.

Edited by ZZZebady

I much prefer the eBay ones, look pretty slick, curious to see how they look on standard skirts. Good find, Sir!

you would.....i am surprised you not selling them too.

Bob, you should know by now that body kit parts are not my thing, there will always be problems with fitting or quality, specially on replica and cheap stuff. TORQEN is about performance :)

Edited by octet@TORQEN

I much prefer the eBay ones, look pretty slick, curious to see how they look on standard skirts. Good find, Sir!

you would.....i am surprised you not selling them too.

Bob, you should know by now that body kit parts are not my thing, there will always be problems with fitting or quality, specially on replica and cheap stuff. TORQEN is about performance :)

And Stillen front Bumpers I might add ;)

OK. So these are it. What Im planning to do also is to cut my real bumper and make a matching vent similar to the charge speed one but with one slot to match these vented wings

DSC_1183_zpsxskvwryc.jpg

DSC_1182_zps9bf6ddi1.jpg

DSC_1181_zpsqnswqipi.jpg

DSC_1179_zpssfszllvz.jpg

DSC_1180_zpsbgdzeph2.jpg

DSC_1178_zpsld8ybxxa.jpg

DSC_1184_zpsihkxaguv.jpg

Ill be running with RT's diffuser and the modded bumper (matching vent) or use what Ive got already which is Keysers rear bumper style and still add the vents or fit a good quality Amuse rear bumper like Amy's got as Ive already dry fitted my front Amuse one. Ill play around and get some feed back from ya all

To the zedshed crew. I like what youve done and was seriously considering doing something similar.

What do you guys think of this........My neighbour has a Ford C-MAX and this has a vented wing that is curved and sits around the wheel arch. He kindly let me take a rubbing of his vent so that I could offer it up to my OEM wing. Guess what...its **** on in size, radius and length. Just would mean cutting the wing and sit this vent onto with a bit of sikaflex - job done.

But and this is the big but....scrappys wont sell the vent alone, they sell with the complete wing, which then becomes costly.

Can someone photoshop this vent onto the Zeds front wing for me please.

smaxvent_zpstxaa9no3.jpg

smaxvent_zpstxaa9no3.jpg

smax2_zpsgglzjhb3.jpg

smaxvent_zpstxaa9no3.jpg

smax2_zpsgglzjhb3.jpg

smax1_zpsfmegorli.jpg

then....when my new GRP wings are on the car, I will cut my old OEM wings and fit these SMAX one in to see what the outcome will look like. Then if needed, Ill post a how to on a seperate thread.

Any feed back and the Photoshop request highly appriciated please.

• Like 1

Nice looking wings, I've fitted a lot of body kits to customers cars and the quality of grp products can vary massively! Do you have any pics of the wings in the flesh? Don't forget to tap around the edges to find any air pockets haha

With any GRP panels you must bake the panels whilst dry fitted onto the car for about 40 mins in a booth to get all the air out of the GRP Gel Coat then prep the panels as usual. A good GRP kit supplier would have done this before selling it to you.

I was in the GRP industry for 7 odd years so know exactly what to look for so not phased at all. I'm going to lay 2 layers of 350g csm and flowcoat the inside so will be well stiff as well as beefing up the mounting points, you ofcourse dont have to do this as they will get stiffer as they are once bolted up to the car. The gel coat is just body filler and sanding back for the dings, re-prime then I'm going to try wrapping. My brother is a painter by trade and can spray my car for free, but just wanna try the wrapping game just to see if I can do it. If I fail, Ill be painting it Audi Riviera Blue with Carbon parts. :-)

Edited by ZZZebady

• 2 weeks later...

OK. So last few nights was spent dry fitting these bad boys. Firstly the old bumper had to be removed. Very easy and straight forward. Next was to remove the cill cover so that I could get access to the wings. These were straight forward to remove with just 2 x 10mm bolts inside the door jambs near the hinges, 2 at the bottom of the cill section and one 10mm neat the head light.

TBH i thought the new wings were going to be a complete pain to fit because of the initial quality of the GRP, but much to my amusement, they fitted spot on more or less. Each mounting point (tabs and brackets) were all inline with the OEM bolting points within 2mm which is great for GRP.

So these are them dry fitted, just needing a small amount of tweeking. So far, so good. Any questions regards these wings, just ask. Oh yes, Ive also filled in the recess that were there for the Z badge and indicator as Im thicking these would distruped the lines on the vents but also as Ill be adding some gloss black shaddow lines to extentuate the scoop as very similar to the GTR, I wound not be needing the badges here.

The AMUSE front bumper fitted like a glove and should do comming from RT's. Very pleased.

DSC_1194_zpslouawko7.jpg

DSC_1195_zpsvqsy1crg.jpg

Intersection between new bumper and new wing. Good lines with just a nudge to tweek.

DSC_1196_zpsbnhqg05t.jpg

DSC_1197_zpsrqrrjyu1.jpg

DSC_1198_zps5aablw09.jpg

So for those who remembered what my objective was, this is it. A few changes....obviously the wings, the colour will now be Audi / Porsche Riviera Blue

which I will wrap my self. I will also be moulding in a set of DRL's into the Amuse bumper in due course.

350z%20project%20amuse_zps7m8sjjvw.jpg

Vented cills next and either new seats or re-leather the OEM which I like......keep watching.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

At work so I can't view the pictures but I'll be checking this thread out when I get home tonight!

I've looked at getting these wings myself due to rust starting to bubble the paint on my passenger wing, I too was worried about the quality and fitment of these e-bay wings and considered just getting my current ones sanded and re-sprayed. It seems for what this will cost replacing the whole thing sounds like a better option. I'll be following this thread with interest.