Phones & Broadband, 1950's?

Flex

Moved into new build, probaby about 3k new houses, so wouldn't you think broadband would be quite fast?

Doesn't matter how new your house is, it's how modern the exchange is and how far away. Copper - slow, Fibre - fast.

They don't have broadband in the village where I live, so had to go with fibre. Bummer :lol:

BT are excellent. I've only ever had great customer service from them when I've dealt with them, including new lines, interwebs and house moves.

So ner :p

+1

I'll have been with them for 20 years in a few months through dial-up, ISDN, ADSL and Infinity and not once had an issue. ISDN was a rip off price wise, but my stupid choice to invest for a few kbits/s more.

Moved into new build, probaby about 3k new houses, so wouldn't you think broadband would be quite fast?

Doesn't matter how new your house is, it's how modern the exchange is and how far away. Copper - slow, Fibre - fast.

They don't have broadband in the village where I live, so had to go with fibre. Bummer :lol:

Yes, I'm 7kms away from the exchange so it's pretty slow down the copper wires. Mind you when broadband first came to our exchange in 2003 the engineer who came to assess my suitability for broadband said "no chance". They relented in 2005 and I got half a meg which after some 12 years of dialup seemed like paradise. Later on in 2006 I got upgraded to 1 meg and after BT replaced the old aluminium cables with copper in 2010 I was left with 2.5 meg. According to Sam knows, BT are assessing the situation (have been since 2012) but there seems a very small chance that they will lay fibre cable for 4kms from the nearest Infinity cabinet to our local cabinet to serve a handful of houses. Even if they did It would only increase my speed to 4-6megs as the last 1km would be copper wire. My only real hope is that the council who have their transport HQ right next to our local cabinet can tap into money set aside by the Welsh Assembly for remote households like mine, I'm not holding my breath though.

As far as new houses go then the more houses on a new site the more commercially viable laying fibre will be, it's just a matter of being patient.

Pete

As far as new houses go then the more houses on a new site the more commercially viable laying fibre will be, it's just a matter of being patient.

Would that not be down to the developer though? Surely they pay BT/Openreach for the install of the cables, and it's unlikely that fibre will be cheaper than copper, so they'll just default to the cheapest solution if they're building generic homes for regular folks. The only time they'd go fibre would be if they were expensive homes that they want to sell at the top end to People That Know Their Stuff, who won't pay a premium without fibre. Then they'd get the expensive stuff chucked in as they could make a profit from it.

As it stands, the vast majority of people in this country are happy with regular ADSL and don't really understand or need to use the benefits of a proper fat pipe.

Yes, I'm 7kms away from the exchange so it's pretty slow down the copper wires. Mind you when broadband first came to our exchange in 2003 the engineer who came to assess my suitability for broadband said "no chance". They relented in 2005 and I got half a meg which after some 12 years of dialup seemed like paradise. Later on in 2006 I got upgraded to 1 meg and after BT replaced the old aluminium cables with copper in 2010 I was left with 2.5 meg. According to Sam knows, BT are assessing the situation (have been since 2012) but there seems a very small chance that they will lay fibre cable for 4kms from the nearest Infinity cabinet to our local cabinet to serve a handful of houses. Even if they did It would only increase my speed to 4-6megs as the last 1km would be copper wire. My only real hope is that the council who have their transport HQ right next to our local cabinet can tap into money set aside by the Welsh Assembly for remote households like mine, I'm not holding my breath though.

Pete

You could get a petition going. If you can show BT that most people in your area would be up for fibre, it'll help tilt the decision in your favour.

We did the same a few years ago in a village we lived in. Everyone signed it. A year later we had fibre installed.

Pete

You could get a petition going. If you can show BT that most people in your area would be up for fibre, it'll help tilt the decision in your favour.

We did the same a few years ago in a village we lived in. Everyone signed it. A year later we had fibre installed.

It would be a pretty small petition :lol: . I know for sure that there are 3 private properties connected to our cabinet, There's a block of terraced cottages that might also be connected, 5 in all so that would make just 8 properties. Also,I do not know any of the property owners :blush:, one of them, a remote farm, I've never even walked past and I've lived here for 50+years.

However there are several business's, Deeside Trucks, Premier Nursing Homes (no residents just suppliers) Hunters Shot Blasting. Closer to the cabinet there's a quarry, soon to be a landfill, Flintshire County Council's Transport Dept, a couple of small Engineering companies, Fire Doors U.K, a landscape gardening company, a couple of plant hire companies and finally a company that doesn't advertise what it does, so that's 20 possible customers. The cost of laying a cable would be in the region of 40-100k according to a BT engineer and it would have to cross underneath a busy trunk road. BT cannot lay cables without consent from the property owner so they'd most likely have to bring it down a very busy lane causing probable chaos for several weeks. I believe that the copper cables to a point close to our house from the closest cabinet were buried three or four years ago together with the power cables, so, there's no poles to be seen anywhere now.

Pete

This surprises me as we recently moved to a new build. The infrastructure was all put in place for broadband before the houses went up. We are limited with only one company that we use ( seethelight), as they have a 5 year exclusivity on site, but for £24.99 per month for 50mb broadband and phone, I'm not complaining.

• Like 1

This surprises me as we recently moved to a new build. The infrastructure was all put in place for broadband before the houses went up. We are limited with only one company that we use ( seethelight), as they have a 5 year exclusivity on site, but for £24.99 per month for 50mb broadband and phone, I'm not complaining.

Git!

Hope you're well Steve!!

• 2 weeks later...

like ioneabee, I have got infinity installed to my home. However recently I have noticed that at certain times I get 2.9 MB, consistently at certain points throughout the day then at others it goes straight up to the normal speed of 38MB. It's not due to excess demand on the exchange and a fight for bandwidth as the speed is extremely accurate, day in day out like clock work.

So, I made the mistake of thinking I could get someone in a BT call centre to fix my problem. After 30 minutes on the phone to Chennai I got nowhere, they insisted that it was a known fault on the line and it will be fixed on Thursday, this was last Thursday and the problem still persists.

I despise BT with a passion. RANT OVER :rant:

oh dear ............. I was with BT for a total time of 30 days ....... during which they cut me off for 23 .................. and then wanted to charge me for cancelling the contract (so far I've had a refund and compensation of just under £200)

the above is TalkTalk Business

oh dear ............. I was with BT for a total time of 30 days ....... during which they cut me off for 23 .................. and then wanted to charge me for cancelling the contract (so far I've had a refund and compensation of just under £200)

the above is TalkTalk Business

If I could get away from them I would - there is nothing I can do as they are the only fiber provider in my area