Had to leave my car in Germany

fergie1471

So I was doing a euro trip and just before I got to the ring my clutch stopped engaging. After getting it recovered etc I needed to get back to the UK so had to get a flight home and leave my car. My car has been taken to a Nissan dealer there and they have just called and said its the master cylinder that has gone and they want 1800 euros to fix it! I don't feel like I have many other options as I cant get the time off work to go over and sort it myself. Am I getting robbed here because they know I cant do anything about it or is that the cost of a new master cylinder? feels a bit heavy to me but as its there and I am here I don't think there is much I can do but pay them to do it. Over here I would never use a dealer for this reason so if anyone knows of any cheap garages in Koblenz that would be reasonable let know

Ouch, that's not cheap at all is it?

Can you not find a German Zed forum, ask for the details of a local garage in Koblenz, then arrange for the car to be taken there to be fixed for less? Or (and I like this idea), find out the cost of a master cylinder change at Nissan dealer in the UK, then tell the Germans you're happy for them to fix it but will only pay the price that you've been quoted in the UK? Can copy Nissan GB and Nissan Germany into the email chain too, just for lols.

The trouble is, how much ballache do you want to go through and then how much more are you going to save by faffing around? Oh, and get the slave cylinder done at the same time, labour is the same so you should only pay for the part really.

The trouble is, how much ballache do you want to go through and then how much more are you going to save by faffing around? Oh, and get the slave cylinder done at the same time, labour is the same so you should only pay for the part really.

Parts are about £250-ish for both master and slave cylinders, few more quid for the SS clutch line, ok, say £300. Labour maximum 4 hrs? I'd say maximum £500 fitted / all in with Motul RBF660 fluid as well.

I could be wrong, but isn't the labour time on that more than 4 hours? Book time, anyway. I'd have said closer to 6 hours, if memory serves. No idea what Nissan main dealer rates are these days, £70? That's £420, plus parts & fluid call it another £400 with Nissan tax, so £800-ish in the UK? Call that 1100EU for fairness.

Seriously, get a price from your local Nissan dealer then go back to them with that.

Send Mark a PM

http://www.350z-uk.com/user/10884-bulletmagnet/

He's now living in Germany and could possibly help out with a solution.

I've also messaged a mate who's also in Germany but not sure if he's available (dog handler for the forces based in Germany)

Okay the other guy (Bobby) in Germany has also responded, send him a PM!

http://www.350z-uk.com/user/22840-bobby-d/

Im getting the garage to all me back and give me a breakdown of the cost because Iv rang a UK Nissan dealer and they said even if I got everything done they would charge a 3rd of what they are so it cant be right or they are just ripping me off. Thanks for the contacts aswell guys. Love how helpful this forum is

• Like 1

Is this the Nissan garage at adenau? They are pricey with labour but very thorough. They may have also overestimated for any other eventualities because the failure could also be due to another component failure.

I have a local contact in the Ring who can drive down to establish exactly what the issue is and worse case recover it for storage or take it somewhere else.

BTW why did you recover it to the UK? Can you still do this with your breakdown cover and repair the car here if you have doubts?

Pm me if you need any help.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...