Importing from Japan

ashyk36

Hi, I am not sure if this is the right section or not but I just wanted to ask if anyone has had the experience of importing their own car from Japan.

In the last few weeks I have been reading up on importing from Japan. Sure there are UK importers which will get the car here but then the price that I would have to pay is more than what I would have thought. I see that many Japanese car owners will sell their cars in an auction and traders which have a license can bid on the cars.

I have been looking around and I see mixed reviews about importing your own car from Japan. Some people are under the impression that its a great thing to do but others are not too convinced. I have also read that you can check out the legitimacy of a company by looking at a Japanese government website.

My question is has anyone used a Japanese import company to buy their own car and is it worth it? Secondly is there a company you recommend? Does anyone have any tips for me? Any other information would be welcome.

Thank you in advance

I've imported from Japan twice.

The second time my car got stolen at the docks, luckily it was insured and I got my money back.

Use a reputable company - I'd recommend jurgen at jm imports any time.

The hardest part is waiting for the boat to arrive

Torque GT and JM Imports have good reputations to import. I almost imported a 300zx this year, I saw one on JM site and emailed Jurgen at 10pm, he responded straight away, the guy never sleeps.

In terms of the money you pay them, it is well worth it in terms of avoiding hassles. They will get the car looked over in Japan, handle all the paperwork, get the car converted and prepped on arrival and pay all taxes etc - you just hand over the cash, get a rust free car, and drive it away.

What do you want to import? Its a good point Grunders made. You wouldnt import a 350z really as there are loads here available you can look over yourself.

My 350Z arrives from Japan this week. It's a rust free Zed with 11,000 miles on the clock, You might find it difficult to get an low mileage example like that in the UK.

I bought the 2004 Nissan Fairlady 350Z Auto, 11,000 Miles via Paul Bowden at JapAutoagent in the UK. He has been very helpful in trying to get me what I wanted.

http://japautoagent.com/

Tel 01625 560505 and ask for Paul. You can mention me if you like.

You can see a video of the car at:

Edited by GrahameJ

What do you want to import? Its a good point Grunders made. You wouldnt import a 350z really as there are loads here available you can look over yourself.

My 350Z arrives from Japan this week. It's a rust free Zed with 11,000 miles on the clock, You might find it difficult to get an low mileage example like that in the UK.

I bought the 2004 Nissan Fairlady 350Z Auto, 11,000 Miles via Paul Bowden at JapAutoagent in the UK. He has been very helpful in trying to get me what I wanted.

nice wheels Volk Gt-7

I presume you are going to lock this away in a museum then - have you imported purely because you wanted a low miler?

• Like 1

I presume you are going to lock this away in a museum then - have you imported purely because you wanted a low miler?

Nice car, but I hope you got that at a bargain price....moment it lands over here, you're looking at 6k resale. That's why I think importing is only suitable for certain more sort after cars - Supra's, 70-90's skylines, mk1 celica's etc.

• 2 weeks later...

The yen isnt too bad at the moment, 188, when we had the import auctions at the docks it was around that + or - 10.

I still am in contact with the guys who ran it and they still import (based in Ireland), if you want their details let me know.

Grundy is right though, unless you want something very specific, you might as well buy over here imho.

Edited by Jetpilot