Blue Smoke, DE Engine

Massingham

Hi, I hope I'm posting this in the right place.

I'll try to be as clear and precise as I can, I'm just looking for a bit of help or advice.

2005 DE engine

83k approx

5w30 Mobil

Always run on V-Power in my ownership

Basically, since owning this car I've had no issues with any smoke coming out of the exhaust. Recently, in the past two to three weeks I have fitted a Motordyne Plenum spacer, K&N Panel filter, Velocity Stack and some resonated decat pipes with lambda spacers. The car has done 100-200 miles with the decats on

The issue I am now having is visible blue smoke occasionally appearing on start up, more so if revved slightly (I obviously don't rev it purposely on cold start, but since noticing the smoke, I was aware it was smoking more when the throttle is pressed). Even more worrying to me is that when the engine gets to temperature and has been sat idling for a minute or two (fan kicks in etc), if I then drive off or press the throttle then there is a large amount of blue smoke puffing out of the exhaust which continues for a short while. The blue smoke doesn't seem extremely evident when the car is driven at WOT as far as I'm aware.

I have changed the PCV valve today and tomorrow I will be removing the plenum and checking underneath the plate to see if any oil has pooled there.

The performance of the engine doesn't seem to have decreased to me and it doesn't appear to be running rough.

I will also be moving to Fuchs Pro S 5w40 oil instead of 5w30 with a K&N oil filter.

My oil pressure sits at just under 60psi when doing 70mph in 6th gear.

I'm mainly concerned that it's possibly the valve steam seals of worst case scenario, the rings!

Any input would help, or has anybody else had a similar experience.

Motordyne Plenum spacer, K&N Panel filter, Velocity Stack and some resonated decat pipes with lambda spacers.

That would be my guess - Cats are great for hiding a bit of smoke and for "cleaning" the exhaust gases (to be fair it is what they are designed to do)

Your nice new de-Cats are just a straight through pipe nothing to filter the gases so you get to see them IMO nothing has drastically gone wrong with the engine you just get to see it a bit now.

Wouldn't be overly worried at this point if it's just a puff on start up and from idle away, if you start looking like a smoke machine then get worried :)

It's more like a smoke machine, especially after it's been sat there.

Well when I say that, it's not smoking crazy all the time. Doesn't seem to be puffing out smoke when I'm driving, at least not that I can notice. Seems to be more when I'm stationary.

But it's like as if it's happened all of a sudden. I was thinking it would be a bit more progressive than that if it was valve seals or rings.

Edited by Massingham

I'd say after the last full tank of fuel where I did 360 miles it probably needed about 100ml.

I've just changed the PCV to eliminate that, it didn't look very new by any means but the valve didn't appear to be sticking (I could hear it when I shook it)

Opie oils recommended a 5w40 so I ended up purchasing the Fuchs Pro S from them a few days ago. That will be getting changed next week.

100ml doesn't sound much but that could be getting on for 500ml per 1000 miles at that level you are getting into being worried territory - valve seals, maybe rings.

Have a search on here few people have tried various things - oil catch can cleaning cam cover vents or thicker oil but if your burning oil you are burning oil and that is a sign of a worn engine (unless you just stuck a supercharger on it in which case they do burn a bit :) )

Good luck :thumbs:

I just can't see how the original cats could have masked the smoke that seems to be bellowing out at times.

I'm getting hold of a compression tester next week but realistically I want a leak down test done. I called my local Nissan garage but apparently they don't have the equipment

I've had my 2004 zed for 4 weeks now and I have similar issue, it only smokes on startup and usually seems to disappear, i can occasionally smell burning oil as well.

When I got the car home I changed oil and filter and noticed the oil was low. I checked it last week and it has dropped a bit but doesn't seem too bad.

I seem to have similar symptoms to you, I am interested to see what you find because it has worried me a bit but I think most of the time i'm being paranoid.

Mine has also been fit with decat pipes too.

I just can't see how the original cats could have masked the smoke that seems to be bellowing out at times.

Because of the design and the extreme high temperatures of the oem cats, the oil that is passing through your exhaust is burnt as soon as it hits the cat just after the exhaust manifold.

Without the oem cats to burn the oil it will exit at your exhaust tail pipe in the form of blue smoke.

However your oil consumption will remain the same whether you have oem cats, sport cats or decats / test pipes.

Do you get it now ?

Video of smoking, a poor one at that!

http://s144.photobucket.com/user/louismassingham/media/2015-08/1040A955-7DA4-4A1E-B85A-CC83A16D500C.mp4.html

As can be seen below, the plenum wasn't exactly oil soaked and the PCV valve seemed to be free still

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r177/louismassingham/2015-08/2E9951CF-AC93-4398-A2AB-6D7FB4010C89.jpg

Well on this subject ... my son purchased his Fairlady last September with a slight oil burning smell through the interior vents, also the smoke issue through the pipes on occasions, also we found an issue with having to replace the oil level much more than necessary. We put it down to the Valve stem seals. Unfortunately for him has let this issue slide and now has developed the bottom end bearing knocking. :scare: Engine replacement rebuild imminent. :blush:

I suppose a major engine rebuild will consist of:

New big ends/shells

Polished crank/new crank

Piston rings

Pistons and con-rods

Re-furbed head

New oil pump

New water pump

New clutch and fly-wheel

New timing chain

New belts/tensioners, and a partridge in a pear tree!