Jump to content
V1H

Project: WeaponiZed

Recommended Posts

On 23/03/2018 at 20:18, V1H said:

Unfortunately an oil line for the external front-mounted oil cooler burst a large leak, 2 days ago. I rolled the car back into the garage to jack it up and remove the bumper/undertray to locate the fault. The car will be immobile for the time being :surrender:

It's a mysterious thing that such steel-braided line with extra protective sleeving would fail some 15cm away from the connector, at a seeminlgy random spot...

Because it is way too expensive to haul the car to H-Dev (£300-400) I will have to try repair the leak myself; it's a crazy tight maze of hoses and pipes under there. Most difficult part will be sourcing a replacement pipe. Bought it in 2014 from Z1 Motorsports, USA. I've had troubling experiences with them in the past...

Leak_1.JPG

Leak_2.JPG

 

Ahh damm bro ;(

 

Sorry to hear this, hope it all works out well and is fixed for you.

 

I too would like to know how this has occurred.

I just went to my shop today to check up on my build and they are very close to complete now. They rekon, 1-2 weeks and it will be ready to start her up.

 

And alot of the discussion with them today was actually on all the lines like this. The oil, lines, fuel lines, vaccuum, AC etc are all in very tight and hot places that they are trying to modify for better and more safe position.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 06/04/2018 at 10:58, shadow85 said:

Ahh damm bro ;(

 

Sorry to hear this, hope it all works out well and is fixed for you.

 

I too would like to know how this has occurred.

I just went to my shop today to check up on my build and they are very close to complete now. They rekon, 1-2 weeks and it will be ready to start her up.

 

And alot of the discussion with them today was actually on all the lines like this. The oil, lines, fuel lines, vaccuum, AC etc are all in very tight and hot places that they are trying to modify for better and more safe position.

All the best for your build.

I have now replaced the broken oil line with a new one, made up identically by H-Dev and free of charge. Thx Jez!

But I don't really know why the leak occured, seems very odd. No rubbing, heat or other obvious stresses.

 

While my car is jacked up I am also taking opportunity to relocate my intake filter out of the engine bay for a cooler charge. It takes me making up some custom tubing. On top of this, the relocation frees up precious space for me to finally install my dual Radium OCCs :teeth:

But I need to remove/modify the windshield washer fluid reservoir to make space for the driver side intake filter. Will post pictures soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, V1H said:

All the best for your build.

I have now replaced the broken oil line with a new one, made up identically by H-Dev and free of charge. Thx Jez!

But I don't really know why the leak occured, seems very odd. No rubbing, heat or other obvious stresses.

 

While my car is jacked up I am also taking opportunity to relocate my intake filter out of the engine bay for a cooler charge. It takes me making up some custom tubing. On top of this, the relocation frees up precious space for me to finally install my dual Radium OCCs :teeth:

But I need to remove/modify the windshield washer fluid reservoir to make space for the driver side intake filter. Will post pictures soon.

Do you know what temps you are getting with the filters in the current location ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13/04/2018 at 10:12, nissanman312 said:

Do you know what temps you are getting with the filters in the current location ? 

No, I don't. Jez@H-Dev suggested a filter relocation as a future job but it was an O.K. solution at the time of install and for the time being.

With the first summer coming along, my relocation gives me peace of mind and perhaps marginally better performance when the ambient temps will rise.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After I fixed the oil line leak I successfully relocated the intake filters , which required me to reduce the windscreen washer reservoir to about half its size. I hacksawed it into pieces and plastic welded back together, using a low wattage soldering iron. With a glue gun I touched up the one or other tiny leak hole in the weld seam.

BEFORE vs AFTER :

Washer%20reservoir%20before.JPG Washer%20reservoir%20after.jpg

 

The relocation freed up some space in the engine bay where I could mount my dual OCCs (white arrows). At the same time, I converted the stock PCV system to VTA (vent to atmosphere) - the practically best solution for F.I.

OCC_3.jpg

 

Just in time ready for the JapFest. See you this Sunday! :thumbs:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have had a great time at the JapFest :thumbs:

 

JapFest18.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congrats on getting her up and going again!

 

Wow, did you say you have also just relocated the intakes??

 

I was going to get my workshop to do this also but they wanted an extra $2K for it, so I have left it in the stock location for the time being. And after 5 bloody months they have finally finished my build!!

 

Now my next issue is finidng a reliable tuner. My originally planned tuner recieved my car after the build was completed and tested, and he thinks there is alot of work involved for the speed density tuning. In other words, I don't think he knows how to do it and he doesn't want to admit it. So I am now going to source a remote tune from maybe Sebastian @ SpecialtyZ or one of the other top Master Z tuners.

 

V1H you are lucky, Ecutek was created in UK correct? So you probably have plenty of support for tuning up there lol my state in Australia, has only one official Ecutek tuner and he will only tune WRX and EVO, he won't touch the Z platform lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, shadow85 said:

Congrats on getting her up and going again!

 

Wow, did you say you have also just relocated the intakes??

 

I was going to get my workshop to do this also but they wanted an extra $2K for it, so I have left it in the stock location for the time being. And after 5 bloody months they have finally finished my build!!

 

Now my next issue is finidng a reliable tuner. My originally planned tuner recieved my car after the build was completed and tested, and he thinks there is alot of work involved for the speed density tuning. In other words, I don't think he knows how to do it and he doesn't want to admit it. So I am now going to source a remote tune from maybe Sebastian @ SpecialtyZ or one of the other top Master Z tuners.

 

V1H you are lucky, Ecutek was created in UK correct? So you probably have plenty of support for tuning up there lol my state in Australia, has only one official Ecutek tuner and he will only tune WRX and EVO, he won't touch the Z platform lol.

Contact Ian litchfeild litchfeild motors

 http://www.litchfieldmotors.com/

Or abbey or Horsham for remote tuning using ecutek they can help you I'm sure 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, shadow85 said:

Congrats on getting her up and going again!

 

Wow, did you say you have also just relocated the intakes??

 

I was going to get my workshop to do this also but they wanted an extra $2K for it, so I have left it in the stock location for the time being. And after 5 bloody months they have finally finished my build!!

 

Now my next issue is finidng a reliable tuner. My originally planned tuner recieved my car after the build was completed and tested, and he thinks there is alot of work involved for the speed density tuning. In other words, I don't think he knows how to do it and he doesn't want to admit it. So I am now going to source a remote tune from maybe Sebastian @ SpecialtyZ or one of the other top Master Z tuners.

 

V1H you are lucky, Ecutek was created in UK correct? So you probably have plenty of support for tuning up there lol my state in Australia, has only one official Ecutek tuner and he will only tune WRX and EVO, he won't touch the Z platform lol.

Thanks and yes,nissanman312 has a good point there. Email Jez Horsham <jez@h-dev.co.uk>, my tuner. Maybe he can send you my tune as a base map for you?

Edited by V1H

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmm I suppose I could, but tuners don't usually like to give out their work. And also it would need to first be adjusted by them to match my injector size and ECU Cal ID, which means they would have to do atleast a little bit of work, which I can't expect them to do for free.

 

And since I prefer to have a Speed Density tune, they would have to make alot of adjustments so I am sure I would have to pay a fee for it. But if I am going to pay any tuner for a remote tune, I should probably just go with Sebastian from Specialty-Z yeah?

 

I don't know man, there a few options but I really want to make sure I get the best tune lol

 

But atm my car is at a tuning workshop down here for over a week and I think it has just been sitting there waiting for me to get them a remote tune. I have to make a decision by Monday, and I think I will get a remote tune from Sebastian, or a remote dyno tune from Hal @ Dynosty.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had to google what a speed density tune was, I'd never heard that term before! It's tuning via MAP rather than MAF, in case any one else is old school like me and would've said MAP rather than speed density :blush:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 02/06/2018 at 06:38, Ekona said:

I had to google what a speed density tune was, I'd never heard that term before! It's tuning via MAP rather than MAF, in case any one else is old school like me and would've said MAP rather than speed density :blush:

:thumbs: Interesting, I also only know the term 'MAP tuning' 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have now replaced the pair of K&N filters, that came with the AAM TT kit, with a pair of larger ones. See photo for comparison. According to K&N's filter size recommendation, I calculated the supplied filters would be a little undersized for 500+ bhp, while my new filters would have just enough air flow. They are a bit of a tight fit behind the driver side front bumper, though. Will post another photo when job done.

 

#RD-0720 (left) vs. #RU-1840 (right)

KN_filters.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×