Washed and Waxed - Not good enough!!

Mikevv

Hi guys, I got my car this weekend, and decided to wash it today.

After a good thorough wash, I got all their crappy products off the car which they claimed was " valeted "

Well, if that was a valet, I'd demand my money back. Car didn't shine, interior was gross still, and smells awful of those £1 Halfrauds air fresheners.

All I did today was wash it with some car shampoo ( the brand escapes me ) and then this Simoniz wash on wax, which you use while the car is still wet. Made a difference, but I'm looking for a deeper shine if I'm honest.

After the wash and wax I found some scratches that I didn't see before, and they are not small! Run along the side of the boot glass all the way to my tail lights :doh::stretcher:

I'm hoping that a good solid polish will help get rid of them, as I do have some swirl marks I want to get rid of as well.

I guess the good news is that I can't feel any of them with my nail, and about 2 or 3 feet away you can barely see them unless you get the right light.

There are some weird stains, like a leak from the rear wiper down to the light, almost like a puddle. I tried washing and rubbing gently with a damn microfibre towel, but it didn't come off :S

Any tips or suggestions as to how I can remove them? ( I will post some pics close up tomorrow morning when I finish work, bit hard to do on nightshifts )

I've attached some pics so you can see what I mean, the car is clean, but doesn't have that deep shine - Maybe it just needs a good machine polish? Although with the paint about as thick as the skin on my teeth, I'm anxious to give that a go :wacko:

Thanks for the read guys n gals

IMG-20150721-WA0005_zpsz1bqout3.jpg

IMG-20150721-WA0004_zpsdqzotmfa.jpg

IMG-20150721-WA0002_zpsnzs985dq.jpg

IMG-20150721-WA0001_zpsxi3ciupg.jpg

IMG-20150721-WA0000_zpspf5ljuk5.jpg

This is of the bonnet/hood, it shines, but not clearly.

IMG-20150721-WA0003_zpspb9ugaup.jpg

The car doesnt look like that much of mess to me.

If you are looking for some quick fixes though id suggest giving the car a good clay then a once over with the likes of poorboy blackhole as ive heard nothing but good reviews about it.

That should hide some of those swirls and the car a nice gloss. Afterwards use a good wax on it such as chemical guys black which is directed at black cars.

When i got my car it was the exact same though...absolutely disgusting but after a good day or so giving it a detail inside and out it came out shiney :)

I will check out the products you mentioned :) I keep hearing about this poorboy blackhole stuff, thought it was some kind of joke lol.

I'm such a noob when it comes to car detailing :S Going to invest in a couple of clay bars and PoorBoys blackhole tonight.

Ive never personally used the poorboys black hole but one of the old forum members did and his black zed looked amazing.

If your gonna buy a clay bar tonight dont go for anything expensive really as its all gonna do the same thing.

Maybe even try a clay towel...i bought one a while ago as everyone on the forum was talking about it.

Ive yet to give my one a bash but sounded like a good idea.

Im not sure where your going to buy your stuff but if you give clean your car a go then use dw05 as a discount code for 5% off or if u goto chemical guys uk you will get 10% off with the code dw1

Hope its some help to you.

Edited by ZeppoJeff

I bought some Poorboys, a clay bar, and a Meguiars lambs wool wash mitt, with 3 new microfiber Meguiars towels for good measure.

The clay bar was £10 for 200g which seemed about the going rate and this one can be used with just plain water, and I even Googled which to get and they gave a top 5 review pahaha who knew they were so different. Just went with the top rated one which was this

http://www.bilthamber.com/clay-bars/auto-clay-regular

The poorboys was £14 and I figured as my dad has a black car too, might prove useful for both of us so why not :)

The mitt and towels were like £12 each, so not major if they suck.

All of which came from Amazon

I just wanted my own stuff, tired of using dads towels and them being dirty on a day when I want to wash my car.

Now all I need is 2 buckets which I'll pick up next time I'm near a B&Q or something. Going to give the old "double bucket and mitt" method a go, hopefully make less swirls than a damned sponge!

Wait until you start properly looking into it.

I was looking for some new microfibre cloths and drying towel for the car as mine were getting old and there's so many different grades of towel 🙈

Try snow foaming also...that will reduce the swirls also as its take off most of the dirt before even have to touch the car.

See if you can maybe get some foam applicators also for the black hole rather than microfibres.

Good luck with the detailing

You'll be investing in a machine polisher next :lol:

Good on you for trying to bring out the best from your Zed, your heart is in the right place......just wait until Zeditis takes hold :D

I've got a machine polisher but not confident on the thin paint :/ maybe try i on my dads company car ;)

I was looking for some new microfibre cloths and drying towel for the car as mine were getting old and there's so many different grades of towel 🙈

Try snow foaming also...that will reduce the swirls also as its take off most of the dirt before even have to touch the car.

See if you can maybe get some foam applicators also for the black hole rather than microfibres.

Yeah like sandpaper right? Different grades etc

Forgive my ignorance, do you mean sort of like a sponge for foam?

This was how Audi delivered a 50k SQ5 to my customer with 4000 miles.

Absolute disgrace

0ca6d7e967d463e4b077f59a8b87395d_zpsxeizpplm.jpg

acbd8587a722f5e0deef06519f2e96db_zps2parxgxr.jpg

After

2c14a58956bc920851d962d431094f77_zpsy0tdxlpk.jpg

fd5fac02b921e947b2577e3cab40cbe6_zpsuyfsknzb.jpg

That's bloody brilliant!

Can I ask for a pointer?

I'm going to wash the car and clay it, do I wax it before or after the wax? Sorry newbie here.

Also, is soapy water enough lubricant for clay bars? Larry at AMMO uses that, and it works for him.

I'm either going to use soapy water, or Meguiars quik detailer, but don't want to waste money if I don't have to!

Wax before or after the wax has confused me a bit bud?

Quick detailer will cost you an arm and a leg and isn't really necessary. Soapy water is fine but i think Bilt works with just plain old water.

I just can't make my mind up about these clay cloths. I sort of like it but I really want to slat my clay away after I've used it so they goes against that.

Sent from my HTC One mini using Tapatalk

Wax before or after the wax has confused me a bit bud?

Quick detailer will cost you an arm and a leg and isn't really necessary. Soapy water is fine but i think Bilt works with just plain old water.

I just can't make my mind up about these clay cloths. I sort of like it but I really want to slat my clay away after I've used it so they goes against that.

Sent from my HTC One mini using Tapatalk

Sorry mate, I meant do I wax my car before or after I clay it. Logic tells me wax after clay, to "seal" and protect it?

Thanks for the tip on Quick detailer.

Personally I don't like the idea of cloths either, the point of clay was to literally use it then bin it :)

I'm certain Ricey will give you all sorts of excellent advice, but I've read this thread now so I'm going to add my 2p worth anyway. :lol:

To get some proper depth to the shine, you'll most likely need to do a full decon - tar remover, fallout remover and clay (Bilt Hamber clay only needs plain water as a lube but there's no harm in adding a small amount of shampoo for extra lubrication - there's no need to use a QD at all and that will just add to your costs).

After that, ideally you'll want it machine polished for the best shine and to correct the swirls/RDS, although you could polish it by hand to a fair result. Failing that the other option is a glaze (like Black Hole) to fill rather than correct the swirls.

Once you've got a suitable finish, slap on some wax on it (use a decent wax please, for me if nothing else - immediately bin anything with the word "Simoniz" on. Poorboys products are good and reasonably priced, the Natty's wax in particular is excellent).

Finally repeat the glaze (if appropriate) & wax steps every few weeks to maintain.

OR; what Ricey tells you to do. :p

• Like 1

The machine polishing is the way to go for a really great finish, be aware though just picking up a machine and laying it on the car can damage the paint (as you mentioned I think) a few people on here have marred the paint work/removed lacquer etc. I got Wasso to do mine a few years ago and the black zed can really come out amazing:

Day2Side.jpg

My tuppence worth in terms of your everyday guy regime:

Every 6-8 weeks I use a Detox Shampoo to get rid of any patches of wax that might still be on my car, then if required apply the claying/tar removal, then I use a decent polish (have tried various things from SRP to Poorboys), then coat in a hard wax. The hard wax I am using at the moment is Victorias Concours Wax and have to say its pretty outstanding for the price (£35 for 150g) surpassing the Dodo Supernatural I was using before.

I just then wash the car weekly (or sometimes more often!) to keep it as free of contaminants as possible.

I think a fair amount of people forget to use the detox shampoo, it strips all the old wax off whereas a normal shampoo wont and it will leave you with a patchy surface (which is invisible to the naked eye).

• Like 1

I think a fair amount of people forget to use the detox shampoo, it strips all the old wax off whereas a normal shampoo wont and it will leave you with a patchy surface (which is invisible to the naked eye).

There's little need to do this if you're going to clay/decon to be honest as the clay/tar remover/fallout remover will strip any old wax anyway (hence why there's not many about aimed at removing wax - more now for reviving coatings though I'll grant you). The same goes with polishing, that'll remove old wax too.

Aye fair enough, although not many people clay either. I was referring to your everyday detailer who will not be machine polishing and be hand polishing with probably a limited time allowance, and probably not spending more than 10 minutes on each panel. If you leave old wax on, you are just layering more polish and wax on top of it. The simple and 100% surefire way to ensure you are not doing this is to simply use a detox shampoo not the normal one when you prep the car. There is a really good video on detailing world on this (which conveniently I cant find right now!) showing a guy doing half the car with a normal shampoo start then hand polishing/waxing vs the detox shampoo and the difference is visible to the naked eye. Just seems like a no brainer really.

Yeah like sandpaper right? Different grades etc

Forgive my ignorance, do you mean sort of like a sponge for foam?

Yeah kind of like the sandpaper. You get ur general purpose ones then plusher ones for removing waxes and polishes then an even plusher one for drying. Microfibres with silk edges and one with no edges.

The list seriously goes on.

This is the foam applicators I'm talking about. You get better ones that are three layered that give you even pressure when applying but these work just as well.

http://www.amdetails.co.uk/foam-applicator-pad?search=Applicator&description=true