Thats awful but not a real shock. I think their main problem is they should be phoning the owner to update them but its always the owner having to phone them.
On a personal note, I would consider having to work for Nissan Customer Services as one of the worst jobs in the world. They have to deal with the useless dealers every day. Having said that Nissan should sort them out and improve standards.
When my dealer screwed up my 300z Nissan had it taken to a dealer who knew what they were doing and had the experience to fix it. This was about 18 years ago and it went from a quote of £86 for a new cam belt to a full rewire by an independent for over £700. The dealer didnt tell me until I went to collect the car and it still wasnt right hence the need to get someone who knew what they were doing to repair it.