So, it was about time to set sail and get on with the audio upgrade.
In the pipeline for stage one is the basics, dynamat and audio and get rid of that awful BOSE which on comparison is the biggest pile of shite I've heard since moving forward. We take for granted their system is great, but it's far from that. I could get better sound from an iPod docking station.
Anyway, here's the info.
All bits purchased from Octet when he stripped his 350z. The entire install took 2 full days, which to be fair could have been shorter, but the feeding of wires from the doors was a complete nightmare. Although we got round it nicely.
So first stop was to make sure I could get the car in the garage, especially as we were expecting intermittent rain. Can we get the doors open, including all my other junk that I've been storing:
We sure can!!
So we (mate) set about stripping the car of it's plastics, seats, and dropping plastics which would be needed for the location of wiring etc. We had to drop the section under the steering column so that we could remove my engine start button which is near my gear surround, so that was a bit of a ball ache.
[
[
We then set about installing the speaker spacer rings for the front, screwed and bonded to make sure that we have a nice airtight seal.
Then we applied the dynamat around the speaker and 30% of the door, including the inside of the door to increase sound deadening.
Test fit of the speaker and ring for the other side.
Wiring complete for the front with some dynamat holding back the wires to keep things tidy.
We then set about taking everything out the back (oem BOSE crap) ready for dynamat and speakers, crossovers and amp.
Luckily from when I used to run NOS I've got a great new super sized cubby for my use.
Rear speakers receiving a heavy dose of dynamat around and inside the speaker enclosure.
Onto the bespoke shelf that will sit in my cubby behind the passenger seat, which will in the meantime house the amp and crossovers. The plan is to go a lot further with this once I go full digital with taking out the crossovers, installing the Audison Bit One and ditching this single 4 channel amp which isn't supposed to run 5 channels and go for a full on Audison 5.1k 5 channel amp - with full Digital capabilities. But that's stage two.
Now onto the final stages, which includes a full layering of Dynamat to the boot and rear shelf area.
And tadah - we are done!!!!
Well, we weren't completely done, because whilst testing the system we found that one of the Morel Elate front's was shot to pieces and the voice coil was rattling like a an old man with dentures.
So a quick flick on the internet and I've found just one Morel Elate for sale on the web as a single unit, delivered price including the speaker was £69!!! and considering these as a component set cost around £8-900 I was over the moon for a result of £69.
I was well chuffed considering!!
So that's stage one finished. Next stage is to modify the dash to install the iPad mini.
Parts already sourced:
Audion Bit One
Pure i20
12v to 7v Stepdown converter
90 Degree lightning to 30pin converter
I'm seriously considering the Audison 5.1k just so that I can relieve this 4 channel amp running 5 speakers. Don't get me wrong this amp packs a fine punch and the quality is great, but to fully compliment the digital route the Audison amp is going to be needed.
Enjoy……