Irritating rattle, don't think it's the usual

luka761

Hello all,

Had a rather spirited drive from Edinburgh to York this weekend. When I get to York, and every time I get in the car subsequently I get an irritating rattling noise when the car is warming up (goes away quickly) or when coasting in low gears at low speed (doesn't go away). I don't think its the usual clutch rattle because it happens even when the clutch is pressed/depressed. Its also much more audible inside the car rather than outside it. Is there anything that usually comes loose or rattles? When I do a google search I just get millions of articles about the clutch issue.

Many thanks

Luka

Could be a loose heat shield around the Cats or rear back box possibly. :shrug:

http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/86988-rattle-under-car-heat-cover-or-something-maybe/

http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/46606-corroded-cat-heat-shields/

If you can get under the car to have a look or better yet start tapping them with a small hammer you may be able to trace the rattle. Fyi the heat shields are not essential so if they are corroded & loose you could just remove them. ;)

Hey gang, thanks for the speedy reply.

The noise is coming from the middle of the car possibly more on the passenger side. I have an akrapovic full exhaust with Berks HFCs and already have the hiss that is common with such a setup, this is different because the noise is only audible inside the car which makes me think it must be something knocking against something. My nearest friendly garage is Dynatune or Infinity in Glasgow so I might have to have a random in Edinburgh lift it up for me, probably means paying a fortune for nothing 😕

Had 2 similar issues

1. Loose baffle in the exhaust box - unlikely in this case bit worth a check

2. Handbrake cable was catching the heat shield - cured by popping a cable tie on. More likely

Don't you just love cable ties ?

Hey all,

It was a large rock wedged in between the exhaust and the cross member. Took us nearly 40 minutes to find it, was bloody difficult to see unless you were at just the right angle. Only cost me £20! Much happier now, feel like I've got a thorn out of my paw!

• Like 3

Hey all,

It was a large rock wedged in between the exhaust and the cross member. Took us nearly 40 minutes to find it, was bloody difficult to see unless you were at just the right angle. Only cost me £20! Much happier now, feel like I've got a thorn out of my paw!

Had the same problem on my 350z, it would rattle when cold then as it warmed up and expanded it went quiet, still have the rock as a memento :blush: