Corroded Cat Heat Shields

alibongo

I have just got the car back from Nissan after a diagnostic to find the cause of a rattle at low revs. They say that the cat heat shields are starting to corrode and this is the cause of the rattle. Apparently these can't be supplied seperately and two new full cat units are £1800 fitted. Has anyone else had or heard of this problem? Any advice is welcome please. Car is a GT4 and has done 68k.

First thing I wondered was do you definitely need the heat shields?

I know they're not 100% necessary on other cars but I'm new to 350Z ownership so hopefully someone can fill in the blanks.

Anyone with any insight into the necessity of the heat shields? :shrug:

Hmm, just been away for a couple of days to the cotswolds in the 350 (great roads, well surfaced and pretty straight), knowing that something is astray with one of the cats (gettit?) and noticed how feckin hot the floor gets in the cabin if you're pressing on a bit in warm weather. Honestly you could keep your lunch red hot all day if you put it between the floor carpet and the mat! Of course having a cat unti under each occupants floor doesnt help this :)

Anyone else found this??

I think I have the same issue as you...I have a loud rattling sound between 1k and 1,500 revs which disappears below and beyond that point. When I'm next to a wall, I can hear it clearly. In the morning when the car is idling at that point, it sounds really bad!

Do you think it's the same issue as what you're describing?

Many Thanks,

Hassan

I think I have the same issue as you...I have a loud rattling sound between 1k and 1,500 revs which disappears below and beyond that point. When I'm next to a wall, I can hear it clearly. In the morning when the car is idling at that point, it sounds really bad!

Do you think it's the same issue as what you're describing?

Many Thanks,

Hassan

Do you possibly have a lightened flywheel. This seems to happen when these are installed. It sounds like a chattering noise i'm led to believe