Anyone Bought a new build house?

Ash007

Hey All,

just need some advice regarding a new build. Has anyone else bought one and had many troubles with your developer in fixing your snags?? if so how long have they taken in fixing it and has had anyone had to take any legal action (if there is any).

I cant believe how you can have more rights with a toaster than property...

thanks

Ash

My folks bought a new build. The snagging list was long after 12 months but the site office was next to the property so the manager came round at our snagging time and fixed stuff that wasn't even on the list!

No idea about problems as they never had any!

Ash - I only have experience of purchasing and dealing with snagging on a new build once.

It is highly likely that the builder will not be overly interested in solving your snagging list, afterall they have the money now (I presume), so why bother?

The house I have experience of was on a development where the builders were still on site completing other developments, if this is the same for yourself then there are probably two ways forward before instigating legal action.

The first is to make yourself a nuisance at the site/sales office until someone takes note - proceed with your complaints progressively further up the ladder until someone gets a rollocking.

This is the path I chose, eventually having the regional manager for the housebuilder rollock the local site manager. Which resulted in a painter, plasterer, plumber and electrician turning up bright and breezy at 9am the next morning. This was after complaining for about 4 weeks though.

The second option would be to get chatting to the local builders on site, and see if they fancy earning a few beer tokens during their lunch or after work by taking care of the slight snags in your house on the quiet.

Thats the limit of my experience on the matter, as the snags I needed sorting were all taken care of using one or both of the above methods.

Hope that helps :thumbs:

You do usually get a period prior to completion where your snagging list should be drawn up between yourself and the developer. Most of the snags are then done before completion.

However, if it is a lengthy list then this could well continue. In my experience it very much depends on who the developer is - the bigger they are usually they tend to act a bit quicker.

I'll give you an example - I know of a builder (a huge national one) that currently have to rebuild most of an apartment block due to a lot of the building not being built correctly. The architects have gone back in and basically realised that the builders haven't done the job to their spec. The cost currently stands at £2m!!! All being done because somebody reported excessive noise on snags. They are just sorting it - simple.

On the flip side my parents bought a new build around 4yrs ago, they got to around 300 snagging items (some very major) and they are still trying to get them all sorted. Teh developer are trying to wash their hands, the NHBC are blaming the developer, local council & MP is involved etc etc etc its a nightmare and it's not a great deal closer to being sorted. The long & the short of it is that the house hasn't been built correctly, the developer apparently has a habit of settling cases like this on the court steps. I don't mind naming and shaming either cos they're a disgrace - Bett Homes (I think they are now owned by Persimmon).

It very much depends on who you are dealing with I'm afraid.

Do you mind telling who the developer is? (pm me if you prefer).

Hey All,

just need some advice regarding a new build. Has anyone else bought one and had many troubles with your developer in fixing your snags?? if so how long have they taken in fixing it and has had anyone had to take any legal action (if there is any).

I cant believe how you can have more rights with a toaster than property...

thanks

Ash

I'm on my third new build just now and there have been snags with all of them. Persistence pays off, everything gets sorted eventually AND your pretty much guaranteed to make money on a new build if you keep it for 2 or 3 years. Property developing without the headaches :thumbs:

i myself am a joiner and although i now work for myself i use to work for a building company, and the quickest way to get things sorted is to be a right pain in the arse and keep at them , it wont be long before they send someone round to fix the problems.

what are the main probs if you dont mind me asking ?

Paul

Guest prescience

Why is it not done right first time - answer, it's a British thing :angry: It doesn't happen in Germany for example

Why spend 10 minutes doing it wrong when in 10 mnutes, you can do it right and not cause the follow-on poor s*d 3 hours of grief putting it right. WHY DO WE PUT UP WITH THIS CR*P IN THIS COUNTRY.

Still, the weather was nice today ;):lol:

i know what you mean, i guess it comes down to money, most contractors are on a set price to complete work and the quicker its done the more money can be made,

i mainly fit kitchens at the moment and would much rather leave the job finished than have to travel back for the sake of my own lazyness but i guess not everyone thinks like that

gone are the days when you just got a wage and you could spend a little time perfecting everything :thumbs:

As Chesterfield and PI5ULT have said you often have to make a real nuisance of yourself - typical of this country you get charged the earth for things and there is little or no interest in 'customer care'. :angry:

A relative of mine used to do the snagging reports for what the company described as the 'difficult' customers - he said some were clearly on the make but often the claims were perfectly genuine and he organized the work. But he was brought in when the boffins got fed up with the nagging so it does seem that might be the only way to get things done. :thumbs:

My biggest problem this time was my double detached garage was built with a single skin, so when it rained we got puddles inside ( brick is pourous, so the water simply soaked through the bricks to the inside of the garage ). The builders insisted it was built to specifications and a garage was not meant to be water tight. I wrote several letters, pointing out that if it wasn't meant to be water tight why was the garage of substantial construction with brick walls and a tiled roof. They attempted to fix it with a silicone treatment, which the water was meant to run off, but it didn't work. Eventually they agreed to build an inner skin and leave a cavity, which is how it should have been built in the first place.

You just have to pester them sometimes :thumbs:

It was funny watching them trying to wriggle out of putting it right, however, once they had built the cavity wall I was a bit cheesed off.

At the time I had a 1975 Rolls Royce Silver Shadow which was a real beauty, only 54,000 miles, you know the sort of thing.

Anyway, before the cavity was built the car would fit, but after the cavity it would not, it was too long, so I had to keep it at work instead :headhurt:

I've attempted to attach a pic of the car, in front of the garage...

I bought a new build with my first longterm girlfriend many, many years ago. It was right at the time of the housing boom when interest rates were at their highest. We managed to get our snagging list sorted by refusing to exchange, and threatening to pull out if they weren't taken care of. The builders soon got it rectified.

It was after we moved in the problems really started. Both of us had left our parent's homes to buy this place so didn't know what to look out for 'til it was too late, call it naivete if you like, but we were quite young. Within months the cracks started to appear, only small ones at first but soon getting much bigger, we put it down to the settling down thing, I guess. But after only nine months the whole thing collapsed!!! I wasn't expecting that, I can tell you.

Anyway, certainly opened my eyes up to what I should look out for in future. She's married the guy she ran off with, got a couple of kiddies too, I believe. I guess I'm over the hurt now, and have moved on.

:cry:

The house was fine, still standing after almost 20 years, they really build 'em to last, innit.

So as someone buying a new build and looking to exchange before the end of this year - i hope - what do i need to look out for?

Just pay attention to the details, take your time walking around the place, I mean really take your time and look closely at everything. You may well find the finish close up is quite rough and ready.

Biggest problem is likely to be rainwater ingress, especially if you have bay windows. They seem incapable of building bay windows these days, I have two and they both leaked in for several weeks. I also have a balcony and that was a bit unsteady when filled with bulky buffoons armed with Stella Artois so I had to get them back to strengthen it !

There is no way you will spot everything and you will no doubt be finding problems for weeks to come, but as long as you are firm but fair they usually sort things without any fuss.

I certainly wouldn't let it put me off buying a new build, especially with the large potential profit you stand to make :thumbs:

COol, thanks for all the replies, i forgot about my thread..!! lol

been busy trying to catch the site manager, all he says is, "ok will get someone to look at it" week later still nothing, not even the light bulb they are supposed to be put in the hallway, which is something of different style fitment than i have seen..

anyway seems like persistence and more complaining is going to be the way then. see i dont want to complain to much incase, they get arsey with me and do c0ck up job which will mean more for me to deal with later... arrrrgghh builders.. :rant:

anyway will chat with headoffice this week.

forgot to mention, they are still developing the other houses, so they should be here till early next year.. barratts, dont you just love em!.

Yeah thats a good thing because all the people they need will still be on site. You have plenty of car washing to look forward to then :D