Reversing camera and soundproofing boot

Kev T

Fitted the reversing camera kit and decided to soundproof boot with 4mm silent coat ( cheaper than Dynamat ) at the same time, it has taken about 5/6 hours in total but i have been very reaxed about the job doing it over 3-4 days and i am going to put silent coat sound absorber foam absorber35_close_grande.jpeg?v=1420714078 inside the plastics before i refit them to maximise the effect.

DSC_2764_edited-1_zpswyr9umsm.jpg

DSC_2766_edited-1_zpsopzylvmn.jpg

DSC_2767_edited-1_zpswnztdjfa.jpg

DSC_2768_edited-1_zpsfsuuakxy.jpg

• Like 1

As a vibration damper, only 25% coverage is necessary...

Still, can't knock a thorough job!

Not sure how much effect that foam will have either tbh, it only really absorbs high frequency noise (not that much of which is in most cars), and it's main job is to act as an insulation layer between the vibration damper and a mass loaded barrier.

Will be interested to hear the feedback though

We went for a drive for the first time tonight and both Gill and i agree the soundproofing has definitely helped queten the road noise etc. from the boot area, so all in all a worhtwhile job imho.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

I did this last month with the same stuff, as the boot was already stopped when I bought the car. Road noise and exhaust vibration was terrible at 2000rpm , about 40% coverage made a massive difference. No boot vibration, I might apply some to the doors as suggested. Might post some pics tomorrow if anyone's interested.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

post-23006-145687848041_thumb.jpgpost-23006-145687855038_thumb.jpgpost-23006-145687857227_thumb.jpg

Before and after, no more vibrations. Bought and refitted the standard interior after this. So much wasted space with the Bose sub and foam. I'll do Flyboys boot mod, with underlay and heat mould a carpet in place. A few other more important jobs to do first.

I've got a lot of underlay in my boot and it helped a bit but not a massive amount.

Now looking to add some mass loaded vinyl underneath the carpet in the boot.

I want to also deaden the doors but couldn't get to the outer door panel. Felt like i was gonna break three doe mechanism :s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...

Just bought myself 45 sheets of Silent Coat (for boot and doors), along with the rubber isolator (to go on top of the deadening sheets in the door) and memory foam sheets (to go inside tweeter housing and inner side of of plastic door trim).

Feel pretty confident with the doors, however never taken the boot apart before so that will be all new to me.

is there a guide somewhere for stripping the 350z boot apart?

Edited by DarmoZ

• 1 year later...
On 5/12/2015 at 7:03 PM, Kev T said:

Fitted the reversing camera kit and decided to soundproof boot with 4mm silent coat ( cheaper than Dynamat ) at the same time, it has taken about 5/6 hours in total but i have been very reaxed about the job doing it over 3-4 days and i am going to put silent coat sound absorber foam absorber35_close_grande.jpeg?v=142071407 inside the plastics before i refit them to maximise the effect.

DSC_2764_edited-1_zpswyr9umsm.jpg

DSC_2766_edited-1_zpsopzylvmn.jpg

DSC_2767_edited-1_zpswnztdjfa.jpg

DSC_2768_edited-1_zpsfsuuakxy.jpg

can you sort out your links buddy , none showing anymore