Shared pedestrian and cycle lanes

A while back, a road on my daily commute underwent major roadworks.

They made the pavement 4x wider to create a shared pedestrian cycle lane sign posted with a blue circle with a cycle and people on it.

The roads were obviously narrowed to accommodate this and the speed limit reduced from 40 to 30 to reflect this.

Problem is, 99% of cyclists don't use this and drive on the narrow road which is no longer wide enough for cars to overtake if there is traffic on the other side.

Either very bad planning or someone has taken a backhander in the planning/contracting.

Anyone else seen similar shared paths which cyclists actually use?

Never seen this locally to me but I like the idea of the cyclists being off the roads as they are a big hazard imo and a law unto themselves.

Sucks though if the cyclists aren't even using what's been provided for them but it doesn't surprise me as I said; they are a law unto themselves. :thumbdown:

I cycle to keep fit, but will always use cycle paths where they are available. It baffles me when I see the number of cyclists still using the road - it's more dangerous for them and car drivers, and the cycle paths are normally in far better condition than the edge of the road!

• Like 1

I'll be very honest, if I was a cyclist I wouldn't use these shared paths as the pedestrians would slow me down.

Then when the path ends I'd have to slow down to join the normal road as if there was an extra junction.

So in this case I'm not really having a dig at cyclists but more the numpties that think spending thousands on such a project is a worthwhile.

• Like 2

I saw something similar yesterday on a dual carriageway. There has been a cycle lane marked out off the road on the pavement but this cyclist decided he'd stay on the road, there is quite a sharp bend on the road so it's certainly a road I wouldn't choose to be on as a cyclist.

Edited by Gudzy

This is going to be a bit controversial on a motoring enthusiasts forum, but if like me you ride your bike for either commuting or remotely serious then pretty much all cycle paths/lanes are pointless. They start and end all of a sudden with no-where to go at the end but get back on the road, which in my mind is more dangerous than just staying on the road.

• Like 1

Cyclists do my head in. If they're using the road then they should be required to have registration plates, might just stop them running red lights whenever they feel like it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And if a sh1t driver gets flashed going through a red light they get points and a fine. Cyclists get away with murder!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep I'm not a fan of cyclists either, ...I understand there are some good ones about but unfortunately 99% of them seem to be idiots. :shrug:

Jump red lights, no lights on their bikes at night, ride on pavements when it suits them, cut you up then flip you off (well drivers do that one too :lol: ), ride on the wrong side of the road etc etc. :dry:

On the road i live in there is a bollard which has its own little raised pavement (island). The whole thing acts as a width restriction. Anyhow what is odd is that there is a gap between the said island and pavement in which there are the markings of a pushbike which to me suggests its a cycle lane but its only 8 feet long ???? 😕😕And there are no more to be seen on this road 😕😕