A different way to look at cars :)

gangzoom

cringe. he needs to get over himself. there are some good points, but some are entirely redundant. any decent modern saloon will be whisper quiet, and automatics are perfectly capable of changing gear if the driver wants to feel no mechanical connection to the car at all. and engine still running when you get out the car? heaven forbid the driver twists a key a quarter turn, or just buy a car with stop start?

im sorry I can see the appeal if you don't like driving and you do a short commute every day perhaps through stop start city traffic, but for any kind of sustained high speed cruising i'll stick with internal combustion.

• Like 1

so, no-one else was getting the irony :blush: and sarcasm B):surrender:

I thought it was funny :D

I get how he was trying to be funny, and that the post was aimed 100% at electric car owners, but it was a little too OTT for my humour taste.

Well written, though.

Ha its quite a fun read actually - clearly exacerbating the issues we know petrol has vs electric - how about someone write a similarly tongue in cheek one the other way around :)

"So I went to my car dealer with my savings clutched in hand, only to be told that it wasnt enough! How much I said! Thats before I even pay my levvies on top - they dont even let you keep the batteries...

...I got in my electric car and the range counter said 5 miles, no problem I thought I would just pop to my local charging point and fill up. What do you mean the closest place is 38 miles away and it takes 15 hours to fill up, this is 2015, my phone charges in 15 minutes!

I finally filled up with what I thought was my free and clean electricity, but then someone kindly let me know that 40% of Swedens electricity is nuclear! I am killing the planet filling my car up, its meant to be clean!

I started driving and went to change gear, but there isnt one! I just found myself sat in this quiet box turning the steering wheel, at least they let you keep that...for now!

Etc!"

:lol:

• Like 1

I think ICE cars will always be around, much in the same way as horses are still around and people love to ride/race them....When I get my double garage I'll be buying a DC2 ITR to keep/do-up, and use for weekend, but for every day stuff of getting from A to B, I'll have no interest in ICE cars.

Great video...but a Tesla model S I can afford to buy, run every single day, and get the approval of the wife....A Dodge Hellcat, I may be to buy one (and get a divorce at the same time), but it's running costs will put big dent into my monthly out goings :)

Edited by gangzoom

Ha its quite a fun read actually - clearly exacerbating the issues we know petrol has vs electric - how about someone write a similarly tongue in cheek one the other way around :)

"So I went to my car dealer with my savings clutched in hand, only to be told that it wasnt enough! How much I said! Thats before I even pay my levvies on top - they dont even let you keep the batteries...

...I got in my electric car and the range counter said 5 miles, no problem I thought I would just pop to my local charging point and fill up. What do you mean the closest place is 38 miles away and it takes 15 hours to fill up, this is 2015, my phone charges in 15 minutes!

I finally filled up with what I thought was my free and clean electricity, but then someone kindly let me know that 40% of Swedens electricity is nuclear! I am killing the planet filling my car up, its meant to be clean!

I started driving and went to change gear, but there isnt one! I just found myself sat in this quiet box turning the steering wheel, at least they let you keep that...for now!

Etc!"

:lol:

don't forget the constant stress of driving with people walking out in front of you all the time cos they haven't heard you coming, or the inability to use heated seats, radio, lights, wipers for fear of the battery running down...

and also, I personally don't like the idea of having to plug it in to charge every single night... can imagine that would be annoying if its freezing cold or peeing with rain. yes it may cost me more to fill up, but I only do it once a month with a petrol car!

On the issue if charging. A rapid charger will charge my Leaf from 30% to 70% in about 10 minutes. A Tesla supercharger apparently can deliver 170 miles of charge per 30 minutes.

Not been able to use the heater/lights....I think your thinking about the GWizz :p. The Leaf has more gadgets than my old BMW, and the tech in the Tesla is on a different league from anything else on the road.

So unless your driving to the maximum range of the car everyday you don't actually need to plug these thing every night. I've done 800 miles in 4 weeks of the owning the Leaf, I've plugged it in overnight, twice.

I charge the car when its parked up whilst am doing my shopping, in town at meetings etc, the biggest headache I've had was the 200 miles round trip down to London, plenty of rapid charges en-route, but because they are 'free' 50% just weren't working, due to poor maintenance.....A Tesla with a 200 miles+ range and access to the Tesla supercharger network would have solved that issue. Unfortunately there is no way for me to terminate my Leaf contract early without giving Nissan £4k.....But at least now over the next 23 months I have half a chance to save up enough for a P85D....It costs a disgusting amount of money to buy, but I'm not sure if I can resist!!

Speaking of fuelling up, have go and fuel up the Lexus this afternoon....Hope I can still remember how things work at the petrol staton...Must also remember to pay, and not just drive off :D

Edited by gangzoom

this whole free charging thing is getting on my wick a bit - theres no such thing as free energy, just that the person using it isn't the one paying for it.

If everyone drove electric cars, charging points would no longer be free. So as an electric car owner, you're in a catch 22 - you want people to adopt electric cars so that the network of charging points is expanded, but if everyone had an electric car, the charging points would no longer be free as there would be no petrol buyers to subsidise it.

personally, if I was onto a sweet free energy deal, i'd keep it quiet, lest everyone else hops on the bandwagon and it stops being free.

I'd happily pay £4K never to have to drive a Leaf :p

To be honest give me the chance to terminate the contract on the Leaf without penalty for a £60K Tesla I would bite your hand off :)

But at the same time having now got use to driving an EV I wouldn't want anything else, certainly not any of my old cars. I can guarantee 100% keeping my 335i would have cost me another £4 per year in just fuel/insurance/repair costs before you even take account of deprecation.

I'm treating the Leaf as my EV experiment, I honestly had no idea how I would get of with it, my reasoning was spending £4k over 2 years on something horrid was nothing compared to dropping £60k on a Tesla and than realising its a piece of rubbish.

The Leaf is nothing more than 'normal ' boring family hatch back, but boy is it a good one....Worst thing about it, is the attention it attracts!! Virtually every time I stop to charge it up somewhere, randoms come up and ask me questions about it. This weekend whilst been stuck in a traffic jam on the A406, some random white van man even honked up me and we had 5 minute conversation about the Leaf whilst creeping in traffic :D

Charging isn't expensive even if you pay, this about £1.5 overnight, but why pay when it's totally free :) Tesla supercharges are paid for, they are included in the price of the car, and currently free for the life-time of the car, that may change when the cheaper Model 3 comes out around 2017.

Edited by gangzoom

Personally I don't agree with the government giving Tesla £5k for every car it sells (or how ever it works). i

Infact if you can afford it, you can stick big enough solar panels on your roof,buy the soon to be released Tesla 'home battery pack' which will let you store your solar energy generated at day time and use it at night. So you can now run your £60K super saloon for £0 off Tesla Superchargers for the next 5-10 years (whilst claiming every green grant/traiff going), and also generate/store your own electricity. In effect your totally insulated from fluctuations in energy costs, whilst everyone else has to pay the going rate.

Given the majority of Tesla S on UK roads have very expensive private plates on, the wealth elite has no doubt caught on to this, when you add in tax incentives, I'm sure there's more than a few London Tesla owners driving in their £80k cars (majority of Tesla's sold are the top spec/battery versions) around for not much more what I'm paying for the Leaf.....But that's a whole different debate, we all know the rich keep on getting richer, but with these rapid changes in technology, they are going to be getting richer even quicker!!

Edited by gangzoom

Isn't that home battery pack going to be about $17k!

Probably closer to £15K in the UK when you factor installing costs…and £20K when you factor in solar panels….

The current government feed-in-traiff for solar panels is quite interesting already, though to make the numbers work your talking about 15-20 years, which means it only makes sense if your likely to be in the same house for decades.

But your right at the moment the incentives aren’t good enough to consider a home battery storage system, but I think it’s more likely than not in the next few years we’ll see more ‘carrots’ in the form of EV grants/tariffs for people to move away from fossil fuels and increasing ‘stick’ / taxes for ICE cars.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-32512152

However the biggest benefit of the Tesla batteries is if the utility companies take up the potential to ‘store’ energy generate from unpredictable resources like solar/wind/tidal, and than release that stored energy to meet peaks in energy demand without having increase out-put from traditional generators. Which in turn may help to lower electricity costs for every one :)

On another note…

Electric%20Vehicle%20Demo%20Day_zpsula7skqa.jpg