Violent shudder

blunderus

evening all.

The last few weeks I've had vibration issue and unable to find why. Is a 2011 with 42k on the clock and owned since new so know the car well.

6-8 weeks ago noticed some vibration through the car especially through gearstick and steering wheel. Not horrendous but worse than the usual 370z trans vibs. Car had just been serviced and MOT'd. Didn't think too much off it although I kept noticing the issue until I did a motorway journey a couple of weeks later. Cruising along at 70 and then half hour into journey the car starts to shake and it very quickly becomes a very violent shudder, bit like a level 5 earthquake. (Not exaggeration) I end up doing 40 on motorway with car shaking and limping off at next junction.

Since then I have had all 4 discs and pads changed at nissan as they were 90% worn and asked the to check the car, they said all is well (that's a main dealer for you) but the small vibrations still continue every now and then and today I did a relatively short motorway hop (Birmingham to coventry) and had the same horrendous shudders leaving the motorway at 40mph with car still shuddering. Stop for ten minutes both times and carry on with no problems!

Anyone ever have anything similar?

I am thinking maybe handbrake not realising properly and as shoes and discs heating up they are starting to bind? Does that sound plausible? Any other suggestion greatly received.

Only had the serious shudder twice, both times when cruising at 70 starting as vibration and then getting worse until it feels dangerous to continue. And even when I reduce speed to 40 ish it continues until I stop totally. The small amounts of vibration I'm feeling Are during town driving on the way to work so stop start traffic. Seems to be worse (I think) off the gas.

Problem is it's not always present and there doesn't seem a direct correlation to speed so I doubt it's wheels and tyres related. The day to day vibration is fairly subtle but having done 40k+ miles in the car I find it easy to tell the difference over the normal 370z vibs.

Doesn't sound like any classic balancing issues if it kicks off occasionally and continues right through to stopping.

Balancing tends to rear it's head at a specific speed and back off as you slow down or speed up.

Drive shafts might be a good place to check but not sure why it would be so intermittent.

I had a similar issue, sudden vibration building up and up until I had to pull over, also on a high speed run, after about 30 miles.

Then it simply went away but came back form time to time. I did notice the brakes felt hard.

After some inspections by my local mechanics it turned out to be a front pad jamming in the caliper due to dirt and general crap build-up.

Took off the callipers, took out the pads, severe wire brushing and scraping where the pads sit and slide back and forth and problem solved.

I guess it doesn't have to be dirt, it could be a small stone or similar?

It's a guess but it sounds like it could be an ABS fault :shrug:

Try turning TC off see if that makes any difference as well?

Kind of where I was going. Wonder if they've clipped the wheels speed sensor when doing the brakes.

• Like 1

Hey all thanks for the input.

Took the car into nissan today. Without going into a story of how useless most main dealers are the story is as follows so far.

Mechanic took car for a drive and replicated the fault but had no clue what would cause the problem. Head technician/mechanic then also took the car out and replicated the fault and said "I have never felt anything like it before!". So they have kept the car for another day to do "more extensive tests"

I'll keep you posted with the out come tomorrow.

Speed sensor is part of the ABS it would most likely affect one wheel but this would also mean that the brakes (or the ABS part of the brakes) are getting an activate signal.

ABS is antilock braking if you have ever slammed the brakes on in a car with ABS you can feel it working it's like a vibration or judder as the ABS senses a wheel has stopped turning but the others are still turning it releases pressure on that one wheel then re-applies pressure until it locks and repeats - it does this for all 4 wheels independent of the rest but all the way through the braking process until all 4 wheels stop turning or the activation signal (usually a pressure sensor in the brake circuit) turns off.

Your ABS MAY be trying to slow the car down by applying the brakes for you this would mean a fault in the ABS controller or maybe it's sensors.

I think Ricey is pointing out that if work was carried out on the car the speed sensor is the most likely thing to sustain damage.

Personally (although I see his point) I would be looking at the ABS unit its self or it's controller as the culprit, this is also supported by the vibration being intermittent and not going away until the car is brought to a stop this does not sound like a wheel balance or broken bush to me it sounds like the ABS doing something or possibly the traction control kicking in and out the speed sensor is also used by TC - that's why I said try turning TC off.

After TC off if the problem is still there my next test would be to pull the fuse or otherwise disable the ABS and test drive again if the problem goes away you at least know where to start looking for the fix, if the problem continues then further testing will be required.

I again wish you luck - faults like this are a pig, I feel your pain!

K

Edited by Keyser

^ this is the absolute easiest and quickest way to eradicate any chance of it being the ABS or traction pal.

Is the speed sensor running off a toothed ring on the hub Keyser or is it one of those metal rings round the bearing?

^ this is the absolute easiest and quickest way to eradicate any chance of it being the ABS or traction pal.

Is the speed sensor running off a toothed ring on the hub Keyser or is it one of those metal rings round the bearing?

Put me on the spot mate :lol:

If I'm honest I haven't taken a 370 hub apart to be 100% sure the 350z runs of a metal ring around the bearing IIRC and the rears are a toothed ring round the rear drive shafts - I would assume the 370 is the same setup - the rear diff is the same at very least.

The fault would have been present with the TC/ESP switched off as that's the first thing I do every time I get in and drive. ESP/TC is way way way too intrusive for my liking on the Z. If I get it in the future I'll pull the fuse and try that.