Merge in Turn - who was in the right?

wmr1980

Merge in turn  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Who was in the wrong?

• Mercedes driver for trying to get to the front of the queue?
    • Renault Driver for stopping the Mercedes being cheeky?
    • Both were idiots

jeez, i'd be livid if some self-righteous prick pulled out in front of me like that. its clearly a two lane road at that point, they were still a long way away from the merge point. quite why everyone is queuing already I don't know, guess the general british public just love joining a queue.

but yes the signs at these things are rubbish - firstly, nobody needs to know about a merge 800 yards before the actual merge - at 60mph that's still 30 seconds away. in city centres a road can go from two lanes to one lane and back again several times in 800yds, often with no warning. But a nice big sign saying USE BOTH LANES UNTIL MERGE POINT would be a good idea.

also, its this kind of thing why I think we should be able to overtake in any lane - the amount of middle lane numpties you can quite happily sail by in the empty inside lane is astounding - if there is clear road ahead of me in a lane, it should be used rather than pull into the middle lane to join a queue that's overtaking a lorry half a mile up the road.

• Like 2

MergeinTurn.gif

This is stupid though...Why wait until the last minute to merge in? It's fine if there is a gap as it keeps the flow moving.

But if there is enough slow moving traffic, you're going to cause the MAIN row of traffic to come to a halt to let someone in thus stopping the flow, creating more traffic.

In theory the picture above is ideal, as there is gaps for the cars to merge...but that's before all the traffic...

If you have a 100 cars, all going to one exit, which allows one car through at a time, how does creating two lanes make it faster? It doesn't, you're creating more problems.

Just by looking at how it works, if people leave enough of a gap and let people in it does speed it up, it's physics.

In fact here you go :)

http://www.smartmoto...affic-jams.html

Half way down.

From that link,

The right hand gif would be heaven! A real perfect word, It's the left hand gif that you get every traffic jam in the uk!

• Like 1

If the truck driver was reasonable and didn't sit up the arse of the Renault the caravan man would have squeezed in.... The truck driver would have lost about 5 seconds off his journey yet now he's probably lost over an hour. Poor judgement from the caravan driver too. Both dicks, both should have their licence revoked.

Thing is, if one of them was responsible for their actions and was considerate to the rest of the road users that whole fiasco would have been avoided. None of the hundreds of people behind them would have been held up and everyone would have been able to get on with their day. Both utter utter plonkers.

Caravan driver shouldn't have pulled over, end of. There was no gap, so he had no right to do so.

The lorry driver should've let him in really, but realistically no-one in their right mind would argue with a 30 ton artic!

I agree on all fronts, it's just bad driving all around. I don't think there is one innocent person in that accident. You can see just after the caravan comes into shot (which means the truck driver *should* have seen him) the truck driver increase his speed when there is a clear hazard. The caravan man shouldn't have thought his time is worth more than others and just carried on to the next exit and enjoyed his punishment for his poor organisation. Instead, morons collide and cost everyone behind them a lot time, money and other things.

Truth is that we've all been the caravan driver at some point (usually in central London) where you stick your nose in and hope the other person lets you in. The difference is that we've all backed out when that gap didn't appear, and waited for the next person.

Truth is that we've all been the caravan driver at some point (usually in central London) where you stick your nose in and hope the other person lets you in. The difference is that we've all backed out when that gap didn't appear, and waited for the next person.

This, when I used to drive to work, I'd try and nip in at the last moment...a couple of occasions have meant I'd have to drive to the next junction :lol:

I refuse to be that dick that cuts in, or stops in the lane to wait for a gap.

• Like 1

The caravan driver should have been in the lane before the shortened white lines - the **** simply left if too late and seemed to be aiming for the larger gap in front of the Renault that was in front of the lorry, but then decided not and tried pulled into a space that wasn't there for a car+ caravan. Can't believe he would risk his life and that of the young girl as that could easily have resulted in his car and the caravan being serverely crushed.

The only factor against the lorry driver was not remembering shed tuggers are a law unto themselves on the road....in my experience of them. How many times do you see them be courteous and pull over when there a traffic jam behind them.....

This, when I used to drive to work, I'd try and nip in at the last moment...a couple of occasions have meant I'd have to drive to the next junction :lol:

Sounds like you're a caravan away from being that dick.

Sounds like you're a caravan away from being that dick.

It was a 2 lane junction, and most people didn't use the 2nd lane as they'd be taking the 1st exit at the roundabout.

So usually it was fine, but then there are days where it is just generally busy, so I just have to drive on :lol:

• Like 1

I've driven down the empty outside lane approaching a roundabout before when I wanted to turn left, passing all the queuing traffic then going right round the roundabout and taking the exit I wanted.

Not entirely cricket, that.

• Like 2

I've driven down the empty outside lane approaching a roundabout before when I wanted to turn left, passing all the queuing traffic then going right round the roundabout and taking the exit I wanted.

Not entirely cricket, that.

I do that on the way home from the weekly shop :lol:

• Like 1

Okay....So Black line, is lane 1, this is where everyone uses to get off, which is correctly so,

However at peak time, this get back logged about a mile down the motorway.

As you can see there are 2 lanes at the junction.

90% of the time, it's only the 1st lane at the junction that is causing the traffic jam, as most commuters want to take the 1st exit at the roundabout. Where as I'd always want the 2nd lane as I take 3rd exit.

So on the diagram, where the red line is located, is where Lane 1 becomes empty, because of so much traffic, there is no one using Lane 1 by the junction as everyone is turning off.

So I usually take the Blue line, using Lane 2 on the motorway, to over take the traffic, and pull into lane 2 of the junction. It's mostly free, however when it is standstill, it's best to just queue in lane one.

But as I said, a few times I've had to proceed to the next junction as lane 2 on the junction is full :lol:

3Oyfw9e.png

No idea why I explained this, bored I guess.