'Lower Tax version' - a false economy?

Rook

Hi all,

I hope this is in the right place, I've introduced myself but assumed based on previous forums that this would be the place to actually pose my question, so here goes.

I've recently entered the market for a reliable car, and since I've settled into a career and have always been something of a would-be car person, I've steadily come to the conclusion that a 350z is the perfect car for me.

Now I'm still on something of a budget, I was going to spend £10k on an 'economical car' but given that most of the ones I'd looked at - BMW, Seat, Volkswagen - are all very capable of going very wrong and costing a load of money when they do, I decided to go less economical for less money and essentially offset the cost of the fuel against the money I'm saving. Or some similar wonky rationale.

One of the things that appealed to me about the Z's that fit my budget was the £285 tax instead of £500 for the power and type of car, but lately I've seen a few newer cars with low mileage and lots of kit on that has me questioning how much that matters.

With a budget of about, let's say, £7k (though the less I can spend the better haha) I've found a couple of 06/07 cars with the 300 engine, sat Nav, Rays... The whole 9 yards. I've heard these cars are more efficient (80 mile a day round trip) and would expect will hold their value better.

So do you think if I were to keep the car three years, that extra £660 I'd spend on tax would be offset by the better resale and (lol) marginally-better-but-still-bad, shouldn't-matter-but-does economy?

Or am I better off buying a £5k 100k plus mile 03/04 plate and dropping £500 on service and risk having to change a clutch, struts or similar?

Thanks for having me!

Thanks for the replies.

Economical's gone out of the window if I'm honest, just trying to budget this is a clearly as I can. I'm not so much worrying about being to afford it as I am just taking the step confidently and really being able to budget for my next car (lol) accurately.

If I'm honest, I feel like I can get a more reliable, better resale car if I go newer, and that probably outweighs the money I'd save on something older - that's my gut - but I can't tell if that's fair or I'm just rationalising because I want a faster car!

And FWIW I don't want the sat Nav for sat nav's sake, it just looks better :p

If I'm putting 15k miles a year on it, would anyone care to estimate what it's likely to cost in non-fuel running assuming I don't buy a lemon?

The car I'm looking at right now has 46k on the clock, 06 plate.

If I'm putting 15k miles a year on it, would anyone care to estimate what it's likely to cost in non-fuel running assuming I don't buy a lemon?

Anything between zero pounds and eleventy billion. As a conservative estimate.

Realistically, you could be looking at nothing more than a couple of services. But then there's dozens of consumables which may or may not need addressing at any given point.

Yeah I realise I could end up putting a new clutch and new struts and in some horrendous misfortune both in the same year, but you could have said 'there's a magic piece of bad engineering that needs checking/changing every 5k miles and £150 a go' which may have been worth considering...

On that note, anybody any experience of J Tech in Basingstoke? Their service costs seem very reasonable.

Edited by Rook

2004/5 is the DE engine, will characteristically burn less oil and IMHO sounds marginally better and is also hugely cheaper to modify if you plan on going down that route.

As for 'newer = better resale', a 9 year old car vs an 11 year old car are so far down their depreciation curves it just won't matter- just buy the best example that you can find- seems to vary hugely with z's.

Overall, they are a car which hold their prices superbly well relative to most others so you're on the right track to start with anyway ;)

Thanks for that. I've actually just this evening sold my last car so have really given it some serious consideration.

I have to say, despite the temptation to spend more and more and more, looking at a few cars around the 5.5-6k mark I think I'm gunna go DE, I'm gunna get something well looked after with some mileage on it, and save some of the change toward driving it less frugally on the commute.

Coming from a focus diesel, I can't see I'm going to be crying over 20BHP...

A well looked after older car would be my choice but then it's a risk everytime... Mine never used a drop of oil between services on over 100k miles. The difference performance wise DE - HR would hardly be noticeable day to day driving, there are cosmetic differences but I would personally get an older cheaper Zed and keep a bit of cash in my pocket for a nice exhaust or subtle mods

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Horses for courses.

I like to change cars a lot but decided with the Z I'm keeping for a bit longer, 2-3 years. So I went for an 05 with great history and lowish miles.

Theory was,

It's a cheaper car to purchase

Cheaper to tax (i'llsave ~£700 in ownership)

It's nearer its bottom value so I won't lose as much when I sell.

To me it was a no brainer. But to somebody wanting to keep the car longer, they may want newer for longevity, and at the same time, somebody wanting to swap in a year may want newer as losses would be minimal.

I would say you just need to make your mind up what you want from the car, do you change cars often, & can you deal with being in a 10 year old car. What would the neighbours say lol I know this is a deal breaker for a lot

I'm gunna get something well looked after with some mileage on it, and save some of the change toward driving it less frugally on the commute.

After driving the car, you'll contract a disease called Zeditis. Some forms are mild, others virulant.

Symptoms may vary, from a desire to keeping the car clean, to full blown modifications.

Just keep a million quid to one side for when it hits you.....because without doubt, it will! ;)

Having owned both an early and late 350z, I have to say go for a later one. The extra in tax falls into insignificance over a year. If you are worrying about the extra in car tax by going for the a later model, this isn't really the type of car you should be looking at.

All the best with your search :thumbs:

• Like 1

Worried isn't the wrong word, just trying to be prepared :)

I have to say, I'm falling on the side of older with some change left to fiddle around with it a bit, no reason I can't sell it later on and buy what will then be a cheaper HR.

I've kinda come to feel like £20 a month extra in tax isn't the end of the world at all, but still don't want to spend a huge amount on the car really.

Which leads me to my next question... The orange cars. I have to say, I love the colour, but are they a nightmare to sell?! haha!

Worried isn't the wrong word, just trying to be prepared :)

I have to say, I'm falling on the side of older with some change left to fiddle around with it a bit, no reason I can't sell it later on and buy what will then be a cheaper HR.

I've kinda come to feel like £20 a month extra in tax isn't the end of the world at all, but still don't want to spend a huge amount on the car really.

Which leads me to my next question... The orange cars. I have to say, I love the colour, but are they a nightmare to sell?! haha!

This is the mentality I had to take when thinking about buying my car. It's a shock to see the cost and I don't see why it should be so much higher than another version, but it is what it is. It's an expensive car in every way and if you're into your motors you'll justify it by cutting back on other stuff and diverting that little extra each month to the car.

Agree with the consumables, I purchased a car that required tyres, breaks and exhaust costing me £1500 on a 50,000 mile car, 10k you could get a HR like I did whilst the car can handle 100k I always think of it a the next 50k will be its last or you will be looking at expensive problems to do with the gear box or something. I would be interested to know how long a well looked after car will last.

I've seen a couple of owners take their 350z's well into the 150k and beyond, the quality of the engine seems to be impeccable!

Shameless plug for my zed which is currently for sale and might be of interest to you! Check out the link in my sig :thumbs:

That's very much the sort of thing I'm after, but I'll probably get something with a little more mileage for less money, and one that has the window fixed (I have the windows down constantly, it's a big thing for me!). I appreciate you posting though.