WHEEL NUTS VERY TIGHT

nissanjuke

Just ordered a set of new wheel nuts,so I decided to try and loosen nuts on one of my wheels,f-----! they are on tight!

any tips on how to loosen them off,hope I,m turning them the right way -anti-clockwise?

any suggestions help! :surrender::blush:

• Like 1

Yep, every good workshop needs a 3 foot scaffold pole to go on a breaker bar for those sorts of occasions.

Brought mine 225 miles down to Cornwall with me when we moved as you never know when you might need it. :thumbs:

• Like 1

cheers,use a bar and brute force ??

As others have said you just need a good breaker bar.

I have a Halfords 24" professional breaker bar and I haven't come across anything this thing can't undo. B);)

Link: http://www.halfords.com/motoring/garage-equipment/car-tools-hand-tools/halfords-advanced-professional-breaker-bar-24-1-2-drive

The nuts are probably so tight as a lot of tyre fitting garages/centres don't follow the recommended manufacturer torque settings for car wheel nuts but instead just use air impact guns till the nuts won't go any tighter. :nono::rtfm:

Also make sure you put copper grease on the threads before refitting :)

Kev

Manufacturers state not to do this.

If you torque your bolts correctly there should be no problem removing them. That's why the wheel wrench supplied with most spares only needs to be as long as it is and not a four foot scaffold pole.

However, smearing some coppaslip on the contact face of the hub (disc) and wheel will stop corrosion making wheel removal difficult (actually recommended by Land Rover at service, not just for mud pluggers.) especially if you don't remove your wheels on a regular basis. A light even coating, not great gobs of the stuff that will flick all over your brakes.