Fuel gauge reading - - - -

nowhereboy

Oh dear! I've set off for work this morning in a bit of a hurry and left my cash in the house. It's about a 7 mile drive and pretty congested with traffic. The fuel guage started showing - - - - about two mile into my journey this morning. Got in to work ok but I really don't fancy breaking down on the A1 in rush hour traffic on my way home. I really need to work on my organization skills haha....

Soooo who thinks I'll make it then? :surrender:

bit of maths is what you need, when you fill up this evening, make a note of how many miles you did and how much you've put in, to work out your actual mpg. then you'll know how far an 80litre tank will take you, and fill up based on mileage.

I gave up using the fuel gauge years ago, I know if i'm averaging at least 25mpg, I can do 400 miles on a tank. frequently driving with the fuel gauge saying '----', but have never actually run out of fuel, even when I think i'm pushing it a bit I can still only get 66 litres in = 14 litres still left in the tank!

• Like 1

also with my gauge at least, if theres less than a quarter of a tank, in the first 5 miles after starting the engine the DTE will drop like a stone, but then after 10 or so miles it realises there is actually still plenty of petrol in the tank, and the DTE reading goes up again! :wacko:

Mine has around 25 litres remaining and 60 miles+ when I get the --------.

As above, I count the miles since the last top-up. Can be entertaining when I don't brim it and have to guess how much is in there plus the amount I've just added. I'm not as brave as brillomaster because I reckon on 360 miles per tank.. only run dry once and luckily that was on my drive at home (which slopes backward). :D

I done the above, cleaned mine first, it worked fine for about a month, now if i stick a full tank in, after about 50 miles, the gauge drops to half a tank, then within another 10-15 miles it shows under quarter, then it just sits on red and tells me i have 7mls UTE to which i have driven about 50 miles like that lol. then sometimes goes back up to a quarter.. then drops again!?

20 minute job easy,

did you change the O rings when you did yours?

If so, where did you get 'em? Nissan?

Got mine from Zmanalex. Mind you wasn't worth the effort really, it was fine for a few weeks and then reverted to pants so I bought a Scanguage II, it's bang on every time.
  • Like 1

How does the Scangauge II measure the fuel level if it's the sender that's faulty?

It doesn't.

I presume you enter some data in, like tank size and so on.

Check out some videos on youtube.

Correct, you enter the tank size and then the amount of fuel you add at each fill up. Scanguage plugs into the OBD port and then gives you fuel remaining and avg mpg etc.
  • Like 1