Any experience with Nissan’s official “Return to Invoice� Insurance?

Dynamic Turtle

Just had a call from Nissan Finance re the my new Nismo, trying to sell me some sort of additional insurance policy to cover the risk of having a CatD write off. I have no idea what this kind of policy covers, or whether it’s necessary on top of the general car insurance. They quoted me £430 for three years of cover (basically the life of the PCP deal).

What the hell is this stuff and why do I need it? Has anyone here ever used it? Is it worthwhile? Can it be found cheaper elsewhere?

Thanks,

DT

Put it this way, if you're getting the car on finance and it costs £30K, then as you drive out the door you owe £35K. Two months later having driven 2000 miles you write the car off. Settlement figure is £25K, you still owe £33K on the car. Can you afford the £8K difference?

If you can, then you don't need GAP. If you can't, then you do. I had it with the Zed and the 911, but I certainly didn't with the 645. Depends on the exact figures involved: Larger deposits can negate the need for GAP.

• Like 1

Depends on the type of product you buy. Some are return to invoice, some cover the whole lot. I believe the Nissan one covers everything, as that's what I went for!

£450 is expensive though: You should be able to pay half that with a third party for equal cover. Whether you'd be prepared with the ballache that goes with it is up to you: Personally, I usually just pay the extra and go with the OEM-preferred choice.

OK thanks for the explanation guys, much appreciated as always. I didn't realise this was relatively similar to gap insurance and yes I guess it does make sense given the high probability that I will have a serious accident at some point in the next three years. I'm also guessing any shortfall is relatively limited in the first few months but then accelerates as time goes on (currently £26.3k vs £29k invoice)?

£450 appears to be more than double most of the other provviders out there but I appreciate that there will be certain administrative efficiencies choosing the nissan deal.

Honestly, having been in the situation, I REALLY wish I'd taken it out.

If your car gets written off, the finance company want their money the same day as the insurance company give them their portion. I was lucky that my dad could pay the extra and I could pay him back over time.