Plenum Painting

SiriusProjects

Just been reading a few posts about painting the plenum and have to admit, it scares the hell out of me.

I'm pretty confident when it comes to spraying up pieces of interior trim and things like that, but for me the engine is a big no-no.

Exactly how easy is it to remove and replace the plenum? Is it just a case of undoing a few bolts and it simply lifting off? What about when it goes back on? Do you have to ensure that it's bolted to the same tightness all round, using a torque wrench or something?

Forgive all the questions, but there is no way I could ever attempt it without knowing everything I need to know. I'd rather leave it to a professional if I am honest, even if it does cost me more.

Hi mate,

Don't worry about taking the plenum off - it will be a a bit nerve-racking the first time but you'll be fine. To be on the safe side, have a replacement gasket ready for when you put it back on. You will need to ensure the bolts go back in, in a specific order and to the correct torque. There should be a post in the guides section about installing a plenum spacer - everything you need to know will be in there.

There is already a plenum spacer installed on the car as the previous owner had it done.

(not sure if I'm reading what you mean't correctly)

Yes but that manual tells you how to remove it and put it back on PROPERLY and torqued properly (need to do it right imho), download it.

I'm using VHT black wrinkle spray paint Pritchard :thumbs:

The thing is when it comes to engines, I've never in my life attempted anything like this. I mean I've never used a torque wrench for christ sake.

Find someone to help out from the club, where do you live ? :thumbs:

Or take a trip to the Zed Shed. Nice drive, nice guys, good banter, take doughnuts, job done!!
  • Like 2

Torque wrenches are easy to use mate, they're basically like using a socket set that doesn't let you 'Over tighten' the bolt. Instead you hear a 'click' when it's tightened to the right torque. Find out what this is first...

As for the plenum, I removed mine the other week. Piece of cake. Don't rush it, if in doubt lay all the bolts out in the order you've removed them in. Try getting a magnetic tray instead of putting them in the scuttle panel like I did.

If your cars got a plenum spacer in, there will be spacers underneath the strut bar, be careful when taking the bolts out for this because the spacers could slip down inside the engine bay, and if they're alloy like mine were, a magnet won't help.

Also. Remember to plug the MAF sensor back in afterwards...

• 2 weeks later...