370z Private Seller - First time viewing

Diab2005

Hi Guys

I need your advice on a first time private viewing I have coming up..

Just a couple of concerns:

The car was advertised as perfect showroom condition on Autotrader and eBay (Only on Autotrader now) however when I asked about curbing he said it does have some on one wheel...I asked for pictures but he said they were too dirty to see the curbing (Why not go clean them then?). He has sent me the pics today and the curbing isn't the best goes round about a quarter of the wheel.

The guy also said that as he works for army and is at the barracks in the week (Fair enough no prob with this) I would be viewing with his brother, I said I would rather wait till he was present so that if I liked it I could take it away then and there..the guy said that he has signed the registration document already so there would be no issues (This is when I started getting a bit concerned). My theory is though as long as I get a check done on the car then this shouldnt be an issue really. - Also he has just said that it will be fine to do the viewing this Saturday with him present, however it has taken a lot of stubbornness from myself to achieve this.

The service history wasn't mentioned on the advert so I asked about it....it has FNSH up to last October but he missed this due to being in Africa...the car is 2010 reg so personally I don't think the 4 month gap is to major a problem (I will have to get this done myself after buying it).

Basically this is the most money I have ever spent in my life so buying private in this price range is quite a high concern as i'm screwed if this goes wrong and just wanted to know what others thought...am I being paranoid? If the guy had put the curbing in the post rather than PERFECT SHOWROOM CONDITION I wouldnt have minded to much but it just begs the question....what else could be wrong??

Any thoughts/advice people would be appreciated

Everyone says their car is perfect, you have to ask the questions to get the truth out of them sadly. Some people just don't class the wheels as part of the car.

Any car you buy is going to need the wheels doing, but I'd be looking to use that and the service history as a bartering point.

What car check are you planning on doing, and what do you think it will protect against?

• Like 2

I'm sure a member would take you around in there's so you know how a good one should be/drive

But like the guys say follow your gut if your not happy walk away plenty for sale

If your anywhere near me I'll have a look with you

Edited by nissanman312
  • Like 2

It's in Leicester mate i'm going to be travelling down from Leicester. The guy has already knocked 750 of the asking price so it's not really that I don't agree with the pricing due to the damage..more that I am just concerned there could be more serious underlying mechanical issues.

I am thinking of going with an insured check rather than a cheapo one due to the cost of the car maybe AA or someone. I used mycarcheck on the 350z but I dont think your insured if something is wrong on the report with them?

I'm sure a member would take you around in there's so you know how a good one should be/drive

But like the guys say follow your gut if your not happy walk away plenty for sale

If your anywhere near me I'll have a look with you

Let me know if your willing to do this mate i'd be more than happy to get you a couple of pints in for the help :D . If its too far not to worry still appreciate the offer

Get him to meet you at cougar store and get mitz and Andy to check it out they know them inside out and you can trust them good lads do all my services etc there on Queens rd

Defo agree with above .. I would offer but not working in leicester till end of next week.

Is Cougar store in Leicester?? I was going to buy and get them to fit my Cobra anyway, maybe I could get them to do it on that day (If it turns out ok and they aren't too busy :blush: ). Wioll be Saturday I think mate...he says he may have a buyer on Friday first. Obviously dont change your plans for me ill let you know as soon as I know and if you are free and up for it that would be amazing.

Also thanks Brayster

Ahh bumer I'm on a course Saturday :(

Yep that's the guys

mitz and Andy did my cobra aswell they will tell you straight if it's a good one budy you can trust them.

Sorry I Couldn't be a help in the end I hope it's a good one for you if it's in the area they may well know the car

Edited by nissanman312

I bought my car with the current wheels heavily curbed, the condition of the rest of the car more than made up for this. The fella was tiny so dont think he could see over the steering wheel! First thing I did was send them off to be powder coated and have been perfect ever since.

• Like 1

If you are going to use a independent inspection don't use RAC. The dealer I just bought my car from uses RAC to inspection on all there cars prior to sale and thus come with a 3 month warranty. RAC missed a clunking noise at bite point from the rear of the car. Which turned out to be lose bolts on the drive shafts. The dealer paid for the fix instead of RAC as, RAC said it must have been like that when then inspected it. And thus would not pay for any issues, the dealer was worried when Nissan said it might be the diff at £3k! My reply was why did the RAC you not say anything then!!! They probably hardly look at your car and only pick general issues not common to a 370.

I was worried to, expensive sports car with potential big bills if something is wrong. I have seemed to got away with a good car apart from @*!# tyres and kurbed alloys. If I was in you position I would agree if you buy it to get it inspected at cougar sport, they will know all the issues if any as they will see more cars than Nissan.

Tom