North, south, which is best?

twobears

I will take a look at Richmond (southern variety), ha ha. The northern one isn't too bad either from what I can remember.

I think my decision might be made easier if I felt 'southern' or 'northern' myself. Mr Twobears is Yorkshire through and through but I have lived in the south, north and midlands so feel a bit 'rootless' really :blush:

You'll need deep pockets for Richmond. This whole area (SW London) is a really nice place to live but it's painfully expensive. Teddington is a nice place, as is Twickenham, both slightly cheaper than Richmond, but still silly money. Example - a bog standard three bed Victorian terraced house down our road (small gardens, no off street parking) would set you back about £700k. One went on sealed bids for £900k recently - bonkers. I'm not rich by the way, we are currently renting.

I moved briefly to Warlingham about ten years ago. It's a nice enough place but I felt completely not at home there and quickly moved back to this area. That experience made me realise that you need to live somewhere that feels right to you. Difficult to define what 'right' is but I think you know it when you feel it. :)

Thanks sipar :) I do know Richmond a little and, yes, it is far too expensive for me but I wouldn't actually want to live in such an urban area I'd rather be nearby but not right in the thick of things. I have to find somewhere that has open countryside but access to a decent village/town/city. I actually like Weybridge very much but the roads that I would want to live on would involve me spending several million rather than a few hundred thousand and I still wouldn't get much in the way of land :surrender: We have discussed coming back to Surrey to retire but, at the moment, I want to stick with finding a largeish house with land. I love St George's Hill and spend most of my time there (amazingly they let oiks like me in :lol: ) but the prices are crazy and I have never seen a horse up there!!

I really like Sussex. I think if we move out of this area at some point that will be the destination. My other half wants somewhere with a paddock, so she can have a horse. :)

Good luck with your search.

Edited by sipar69
  • Like 1

Is the answer here not just to buy two homes? One main residence, then one smaller getaway place? Or two identical but very different properties?

Or just sod off for a whole year on a round the world cruise, and then worry about it when you get back? That's what I'd do.

• Like 1

Thanks sipar :) We both thought that Sussex did have a nice feel. We have been twice but not stayed overnight there yet. Oooh, your other half should definitely get herself a horse :teeth:

Some really really nice pubs in Sussex - drive out their most weekends for lunch.

• Like 1

Is the answer here not just to buy two homes? One main residence, then one smaller getaway place? Or two identical but very different properties?

Or just sod off for a whole year on a round the world cruise, and then worry about it when you get back? That's what I'd do.

We have thought of buying a house in the UK and a flat in Madrid but I want to put all our money into the UK property, unless we win the lottery.

Can't really go on a cruise because Mr Twobears needs to earn money for a while longer, as much as he'd love to retire in his 40s :p

Annie, how about taking a look at Northampton / Northamptonshire or around Peterborough / Cambridgeshire (Stilton, Stamford, Melton Mowberry). About an hour / hour and a half to Heathrow. Two hours to East Yorkshire?

Both Northamptonshire and Cambridgeshire have some lovely towns / villages and they are good for Mr Twobears to get to Heathrow + you're not that far from friends and family in E Yorkshire

• Like 1

Thanks :) I have to admit that Northamptonshire has never even been on my radar. I don't know the place at all but might as well take a look because I've been almost everywhere else by now, ha ha. I do know Stilton and Melton and they are both nice, along with Wymeswold and Oakham etc, but I'm not sure I want to be too close to my family in Leicestershire, as bad as that sounds. I tend to get on best with my mother from a distance :blush:

• Like 1

We might move soon, but intend to stay in Surrey - its just so useful for work (20 minute train into Waterloo) and our parents live in West Susex and Essex so easy to get to (they like seeing their grandchild!) - we spent a night in a B&B in Godalming recently, very nice quaint place, but just a stones throw from Guildford with all its shops and facilities.

• Like 1