Rocker cover grommets - no need to replace entire RC

RobPhoboS

Did everyone get the alignment tool or was I the lucky/unlucky one? Had not planned to do this job until the engine was out =/

EDIT - UPDATE:

Don't worry we have the alignment tool in there, so all good :thumbs:

Also Adrian will be mailing out the rest of the kits tomorrow for us.

& this is the hole cutter I bought @ 51mm (2 inch was the US one used)

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item3a841398b1

Edited by RobPhoboS

All being well, I want to be doing my ones this weekend, and I'll post up some pics etc

I've been studying the Z33 Garage vid plenty :lol:

I also bought Sealey STW1012 Torque Wrench (low torque settings 2-24Nm), arrived this morning !

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sealey-STW1012-Torque-Wrench-Micrometer-3-8-Sq-Drive-2-24Nm-1-47-17-70lb-ft-New-/390896837485?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item5b0344636d

Strangely it was calibrated on my birthday --- oooh :scare:

Edited by RobPhoboS
  • Like 1

really am thinking to try this as an option, anyone know of a trusted/forum garage that would do this ?

Abbey Motorsport replaced the seals on both my rocker covers over a year ago. I assume the kit they use will be pretty similar to this one.

All clean and oil free ever since so if done properly it does work and massively cheaper than replacement RCs.

David

really am thinking to try this as an option, anyone know of a trusted/forum garage that would do this ?

Abbey Motorsport replaced the seals on both my rocker covers over a year ago. I assume the kit they use will be pretty similar to this one.

All clean and oil free ever since so if done properly it does work and massively cheaper than replacement RCs.

David

Thanks for the reply mate. Sounds good that it worked out. Can you remember how much it cost you to replace the seals on the rockers so I know what price labour etc to look out for? :)

If your down Kent direction kaiser motor(sly) has indicated he will fit the kit if you supply.

A rough guess but with correct tools and previous engine knowledge it's probably only a 4 hr job. However you need to allow 24hrs for the silicon gasket to set.

Yes mate received today (had to collect from PO). Need to get hold of that gasket stuff before I can give it a shot.

Did the 3d printed alignment tool come in the package or is it something you guys had made up? As the one on the video is metal. I'm going to recreate it in my 3d software tonight so I can print replacements if needed.

Edited by cs2000

David

Thanks for the reply mate. Sounds good that it worked out. Can you remember how much it cost you to replace the seals on the rockers so I know what price labour etc to look out for? :)

Was 3.5 hr labour (£227) plus about 25 for seals and RC gaskets. (exc VAT)

Nearly done!

I thought I'd stop at 1am last night, hah. I just wanted to get to the point of having the covers and rtv in place so they could set.

Give yourself plenty of time to do this, I did as I knew it would take me a lot longer as I've not done this before.

I'll get photos up later today.

Well done Rob, looking forward too it. Let us know the total job time length!

As promised (and Adrian, feel free to steal it) I have recreated the alignment tool in a 3d model so if anybody wants another for some reason, or theirs breaks, you can send the STL file to a 3d printing company, or use your own 3d printer and get one re-made.

http://cs2000.cronus.feralhosting.com/Alignment-tool.stl

Not tested printing personally, but should be fine as its a simple model & I took the sizes myself using some digital callipers.

Capture.png

Edited by cs2000
  • Like 4

Ah nice one!

Well I just finished putting everything back together.

Fired it up just to make sure I connected everything, no problem... But some oil is seeping out from the right bank (or left if you're looking at it from the front), just on the cover bolt 4.

I tightened it up a fraction more but I don't know what to do. Just having a break, was thinking to put some more rtv down in that spot. Arrrgh.

Probably just pinched the replacement gasket. Or don't have to put RVT there fo you?

Hope that's all it is anyway. Lots of people pinch the plenum gasket when installing a spacer so I guess it's an easy thing to do :)

Well I just finished putting everything back together.

Well done - brave man ;)

I'm debating whether to do mine myself (I'm far from an expert spanner-wrangler) or pay a mechanic friend to do it. Would love to see the photos when you get round to posting them up :thumbs:

Edited by thedon