Trains - Tickets and Robbing barstewards

ioneabee

My son bought his ticket from York to Home a couple of weeks ago - cost = £40

he arrived in plenty of time on the platform that his ticket said (although didn't check the overhead announcements) and yep - you guessed it, missed his train

went to the ticket office to get the next train and would not honour his current one and charged him £88 for a new ticket

is there anything we can do to reclaim at least some of it ?

So how did he miss his train? Platform change?

Sorry bud, but I don't see this being anyone's fault but your son's. I may be biased working at an airport, but why people don't think to check the signs that are everywhere regarding changes to their itinerary is beyond me. You can ask them nicely, but they'll just point out that plenty of other people managed to make the time on time on the right platform.

• Like 1

So how did he miss his train? Platform change?

Sorry bud, but I don't see this being anyone's fault but your son's. I may be biased working at an airport, but why people don't think to check the signs that are everywhere regarding changes to their itinerary is beyond me. You can ask them nicely, but they'll just point out that plenty of other people managed to make the time on time on the right platform.

indeed - there's no doubt it's his fault - just sort of hoping we could claim something back as the total cost is now over £120 and just seems "reasonable" that they could have taken his old ticket as part payment

would use more than £40 in fuel going from york to pembroke

dont think you can claim it back

Just a life lesson arrive in good time

he was on the station 45minutes early, so no issue with his timekeeping - just stupidity in respect of not looking at the obvious signs

done this trip a couple of times in the zed now - on average it costs 3/4 of a tank of fuel

did you get your ticket from national rail online of something like the trainline

as i think if so you bought from two diffrent companies

would be like going to nissan and moaning renault let you down

Edited by StevoD

agreed - but where rail is concerned you can buy your ticket on-line 5 minutes before at a much lower cost than on the train or station - admittedly not as low as the 2 weeks before option

agreed - but where rail is concerned you can buy your ticket on-line 5 minutes before at a much lower cost than on the train or station - admittedly not as low as the 2 weeks before option

as above you buying from diffrent companys im guessing

an online company that send you an email will be cheaper than a station that has to pay staff insurance maintenance energy/water bills etc

Edited by StevoD

did you get your ticket from network rail online of something like the trainline

Network Rail don't issue or sell tickets, they maintain and operate the track.

I know we're pretty much on a hiding to nothing, but wondered if anyone knew what the procedure was to "try" and reclaim something

I'm not talking about going in all guns guns blazing as clearly my son is the guilty party here

he bought his 2nd ticket over the desk at the station

the 1st one was probably trainline.com- but not sure as he did it not me

Edited by ioneabee

did you get your ticket from network rail online of something like the trainline

i know you might noticed i corrected it easy mistake network and national

Ask for a complaint form from the Train Operating Company (TOC), put it in writing, they will respond, but if it's a case of just not being switched on then not a hope but they will give you a £5 voucher anyway. If it's a case where a train was replatformed and no announcement was made, you should get reimbursed.

They will investigate, as all this stuff is recorded, and if that's the case a full refund will be given ;)

Who's National Rail?

Who's National Rail?

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

Who's National Rail?

Easy to call someone out for getting a name slightly wrong

kinda ironic when you then dont know who the actual operating organisation is

no its not a ticket agency

In Great Britain, National Rail is the trading name licensed for use by the Association of Train Operating Companies (ATOC), an unincorporated association whose membership consists of the passenger train operating companies (TOCs) of Great Britain that run the passenger services previously provided by the British Railways Board, from 1965 using the brand name British Rail). National Rail generally does not include services that do not have a BR history; this distinction is important because National Rail services share a ticketing structure and inter-availability that do not necessarily extend to other services. The name and the accompanying double arrow symbol are the intellectual property of the Secretary of State for Transport.[1]