Gambling Licenses

Grundy

So I was chatting to a friend last night about an idea I had for a website/business.

Just go with this before you finish reading :lol:

On facebook, there are a lot of people who try and want to raffle off their car. Why would they do this, you might think?

Well most people that do it, have a old shed or a beaten up hatch back that they are only going to get £100/£200 for.

So to make a little money and for someone to grab a bargain, they raffle the car off.

Car value = £200

Raffle Ticket = £5

100 Raffle Tickets = £500

Winner gets the car for £5, Seller gets £500.

Now on facebook, it's a little (probably an understatement) dodgey and not very safe method of doing it.

So my idea was to create a website and act as the middle man.

All transactions, all records etc held on the website.

Similar to eBay,

Seller lists said car on the website,

Then shares link around social media etc

Interested people buy a raffle ticket on the website

Once raffle ticket goal has reached, or a time limit has ran out (say 7 days to get x/100 tickets sold) then a program designed to randomly pick out numbers etc, or even just a live stream for 'numbers out of a hat' :lol: is shown on the website.

Then once the Seller and winner make contact and arrangements, money is exchanged from the website to the seller.

How to make money from this?

Similar to eBay, Listing fee/Commission on sales.

Now after chatting, I found out there are Gambling license fee's. Along with a few holes in this plan.

i.e. How can you guarentee the Sellers hands over car, or how to prove no one is getting conned or what if the seller doesn't get the x amount of tickets sold?

So yeah there's a few holes in this entire thing, and probably wont ever happen.

But wanted to ask before I just gave up on the idea as I'd hate to see in a years time some mug with my idea blossoming :lol:

What... like THIS:

https://www.botb.com/

Die.

:lol: :lol:

It's a bit risky for you anyway. As you're the one taking the money, so you'd be the one everyone sues when it goes wrong for either party :lol:

As I say, there are a few flaws in this :lol: But the concept is there.

Clearly, as other people are already making money from it :p:lol:

What... like THIS:

https://www.botb.com/

Die.

:lol: :lol:

It's a bit risky for you anyway. As you're the one taking the money, so you'd be the one everyone sues when it goes wrong for either party :lol:

As I say, there are a few flaws in this :lol: But the concept is there.

Clearly, as other people are already making money from it :p:lol:

But that's the sort I don't trust :lol: They're the ones supplying the cars etc. So they can swindle it what way they like.

They're regulated, so they shouldn't... Not saying they don't, but they shouldn't :lol:

Also you're competing against thousands, and thats not the market I wanted, I wanted to offer a service to people to raffle THEIR cars off, not raffle my stuff off.

Who would buy a £5 raffle ticket for a 100/1 chance of "winning" a £200 shed?

First time buyers. There is a market for it. For instance a Car with no MOT, you can't be bothered to do all the little things etc to tidy it up.

Someone who then buys it for £5 isn't going to mind putting a little more money into it to tidy it up, get it back on the road etc. And even if they don't, they can scrap it and still make some money on it.

First time buyers. There is a market for it. For instance a Car with no MOT, you can't be bothered to do all the little things etc to tidy it up.

Someone who then buys it for £5 isn't going to mind putting a little more money into it to tidy it up, get it back on the road etc. And even if they don't, they can scrap it and still make some money yon it.

grund honestly your in IT research and come up with a fantastic app

Well the lottery does OK at 1 in 14 million :scare:

As to this idea - don't even go there my mate tried something similar for charity and it was a nightmare - audits and paperwork as you need a gaming license it is classed as gambling. you also have to pay for both the license the renewal and I believe it has to be a chartered accountant doing the books - :wacko::yawn:

• Like 1

Someone who then buys it for £5 isn't going to mind putting a little more money into it to tidy it up, get it back on the road etc. And even if they don't, they can scrap it and still make some money yon it.

lol,

The only money in apps is the 'In app purchase bollox apps' and they are basically worse than Hitler!

Well the lottery does OK at 1 in 14 million :scare:

As to this idea - don't even go there my mate tried something similar for charity and it was a nightmare - audits and paperwork as you need a gaming license it is classed as gambling. you also have to pay for both the license the renewal and I believe it has to be a chartered accountant doing the books - :wacko::yawn:

Yeah this idea was all good up until I found out I had to have a gambling license :lol: And then realised I had to read lots into that license, so I gave up :lol:

lol,

The only money in apps is the 'In app purchase bollox apps' and they are basically worse than Hitler!

there is a 12 year old with 3 ferraris cause of an app

lol,

If it's candy crush, he's going to hell.

I have no idea but could you not do it under a "charity", they do raffles and believe they are allowed too (could be wrong though)?

Obviously you would need to register a charity but guess that would be cheaper than gaming licenses :)

Think the problem is, when you know you're trying to register you company to get around a license, there is definitely going to be issues :lol:

lol,

I think I know the wee guy you're talking about. I saw in a few years back, he was part of the Ferrari owners club and was sitting giving reviews on the different ones he owned. Then I read somewhere that it was a pile of crap.. which made me happy :)

• Like 1