Bushes bushes bushes...vid in post ! (ok bushings)

RobPhoboS

Interesting to watch. I've got SuperPro bushes on my Zed so good to know they where worth the money. :D;)

Did you go full kit all over? Did you change them becuase the others were worn, or just because you hoped they'd feel better?

Interesting to watch. I've got SuperPro bushes on my Zed so good to know they where worth the money. :D;)

Did you go full kit all over? Did you change them becuase the others were worn, or just because you hoped they'd feel better?

No I didn't go full kit Stu, ...just replaced the front banana arm bushes as they where worn.

Did feel better afterwards but then probably somewhat because the old ones where worn but still a worthwhile upgrade as the price difference between them & the OEM bushes was very small. :thumbs:

No I didn't go full kit Stu, ...just replaced the front banana arm bushes as they where worn.

Did feel better afterwards but then probably somewhat because the old ones where worn but still a worthwhile upgrade as the price difference between them & the OEM bushes was very small. :thumbs:

I've gone from SuperPro on the banana arm back to stock, as the garage didn't want to press out the new one and replace it (ffs :wacko:).

The difference is HUGE, the steering feels extremely dull without it.

Thus I've bought a front end kit, plus steering rack bushes, and will sling the SP bush (well, Sly will :lol:) as I want nice steering again :)

Nice vid RobboðŸ‘.

@ Stu; the front bushes are the ones that commonly fail but all OEM rubber bushes fail to various degrees over time. Shrinking, perishing/cracking, tearing and full blown separation are all degrees of bushing failure. Therefore depending on the degree of failure you may get minimal symptoms or knocking to outright diabolical handling!

If you consider that most zeds are over 10yrs old there are a lot out there that would benefit with bushing changes.

There is nothing wrong with the OEM bushes except they are to soft and allow excessive mov't which dulls handing and eventually they will fail again bring made of rubber. Secondly the compression arm design was poor which leads to premature compresion bush failure. This issues was addressed by Nissan on the HR and 370z I think.

Urethane is better but as the vid shows you need to get well designed ones. I have used Superpro, whiteline and energy suspension. Superpro are up there, whiteline a close second and energy suspension third because some of their bushes are poorly designed. However if you swap those bushes for superpro or whiteline equivalent as I have done for the 2 chaps here you end up with a competent package and some significant savings.

Monoball/spherical/rose jointed bushes are the ultimate because there is no bind or stiction and there supension geometry is always maintained optimally as there is no unwanted mov't. However they don't last forever as they are prone to salt corrosion and they are impractical for daily driving.

I have been lucky to have been able to swap to full urethane bushes in the past and again to solid monoball bushes which are currently on the car. I have also done the full urethane swap for 2 members here. So I can attest to the fact that every single bush showed significant wear.

One thing is for certain the handling is night and day and if you have other suspension mods like ARB, coilovers and adjustable arms it further enhances them.

I will be offering a drive in bushing replacement and general suspension service soon and there will be various packages to suit all budgets and usage but in anycase priced very competitively.

• Like 1

Great info there mate :thumbs:

I do wish I had seen that video prior to my purchase but luckily, so far they seem to be designed properly, just need to be fitted (early Feb). I'll be making a thread in due course on the ones I've chosen and why, plus what I honestly think of them in my particular experience.

Bennett, IF you had the time, it could well be worth popping some videos up as well ?

Nice vid Robbo👍.

@ Stu; the front bushes are the ones that commonly fail but all OEM rubber bushes fail to various degrees over time. Shrinking, perishing/cracking, tearing and full blown separation are all degrees of bushing failure. Therefore depending on the degree of failure you may get minimal symptoms or knocking to outright diabolical handling!

If you consider that most zeds are over 10yrs old there are a lot out there that would benefit with bushing changes.

There is nothing wrong with the OEM bushes except they are to soft and allow excessive mov't which dulls handing and eventually they will fail again bring made of rubber. Secondly the compression arm design was poor which leads to premature compresion bush failure. This issues was addressed by Nissan on the HR and 370z I think.

Urethane is better but as the vid shows you need to get well designed ones. I have used Superpro, whiteline and energy suspension. Superpro are up there, whiteline a close second and energy suspension third because some of their bushes are poorly designed. However if you swap those bushes for superpro or whiteline equivalent as I have done for the 2 chaps here you end up with a competent package and some significant savings.

Monoball/spherical/rose jointed bushes are the ultimate because there is no bind or stiction and there supension geometry is always maintained optimally as there is no unwanted mov't. However they don't last forever as they are prone to salt corrosion and they are impractical for daily driving.

I have been lucky to have been able to swap to full urethane bushes in the past and again to solid monoball bushes which are currently on the car. I have also done the full urethane swap for 2 members here. So I can attest to the fact that every single bush showed significant wear.

One thing is for certain the handling is night and day and if you have other suspension mods like ARB, coilovers and adjustable arms it further enhances them.

I will be offering a drive in bushing replacement and general suspension service soon and there will be various packages to suit all budgets and usage but in anycase priced very competitively.

Sounds promising, no doubt you'll be miles away :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Nice vid Robboí ½í±.

What is the rough cost of replacing all the bushes? I already have Powerflex banana arm bushes fitted. Just curious as to what sort of money you were looking at charging for a full replacement.

Nice vid RobboðŸ‘.

What is the rough cost of replacing all the bushes? I already have Powerflex banana arm bushes fitted. Just curious as to what sort of money you were looking at charging for a full replacement.

I'd be interested in knowing how much for a full kit, can any traders help?

• 2 weeks later...

Admittedly not a full replacement, but I got this set from Tarmac a few weeks ago and had it fitted by Fast Eddy locally in Norwich: http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/85095-whitelines-awesome-nissan-350z-bushing-essentials-kit-220/

Consensus seemed to be about 6-9 hours work to fit everything minus the rear diff bushings (depending on the corrosion etc). I had the rear shock bushings done too, which added a few hours to the job but definitely needed doing.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

So a simple brake line and fluid change at H-Dev turned into rear discs and pads, plus front super pro bushes as well! I was gonna say no, but I'm so glad I said yes, I didn't know what I was missing, the steering feels like that of a brand new modern car, corners better too, if I could describe it in a single word, the whole car just feels more Solid.

Jez's mechanic was showing me The super pro for the 350z has its hole offset within the bush, this fixed the geometry and does something to the camber (I think, can't remember what he said) and makes it better than when they left the factory.

I find I don't have to turn the wheel as much as before to achieve the same amount of turn. It's also more responsive to the steering wheel.

My car is a 2004 around 78k miles, and they were completely worn on the front he said, so I imagine all of the older zeds will benefit.

Edited by DarmoZ
  • Like 1

So a simple brake line and fluid change at H-Dev turned into rear discs and pads, plus front super pro bushes as well! I was gonna say no, but I'm so glad I said yes, I didn't know what I was missing, the steering feels like that of a brand new modern car, corners better too, if I could describe it in a single word, the whole car just feels more Solid.

Jez's mechanic was showing me The super pro for the 350z has its hole offset within the bush, this fixed the geometry and does something to the camber (I think, can't remember what he said) and makes it better than when they left the factory.

I find I don't have to turn the wheel as much as before to achieve the same amount of turn. It's also more responsive to the steering wheel.

My car is a 2004 around 78k miles, and they were completely worn on the front he said, so I imagine all of the older zeds will benefit.

Glad to hear you are happy with it Darmo

Nice vid Robboí ½í±.

Morning mate, seems yo have a lot of knowledge regarding the front suspension set up and bush failure. I've got a bit of an issue on my HR now approaching 91k.

I've switch both banana arms over the last two years and to be honest cost me a chunk diagnosing those issues. Is there an order in which bushes tend to perish?

I've got a creak when i sit in and mild knocking over bumps straight after lowering (Tein springs 17mm)

If you could can shed any light on my issue that'd be much appreciated. I did read that the control arms are prone and seen as though i have a creak as soon as i get in i figured it could be the damper mount bush or something? I'm just chucking ideas at it though and it's based on minimal knowledge to be fair.