knocking experts

lance350

Sorry for another one of these posts!

My car has developed a knocking from the front when I drive on rough road services. At first I thought it my be the drop links so I changed these but it made no difference. I then took the car to my mechanic to put on the ramps and see if he could find anything which he couldn't everything looked tight and there was no movment.

I have seen quite a few posted on here were people have suffered similar problems. Some seem to suggest changing the wishbones/banana arms whatever you want to call them. While others have said to change other components. Is there a way I can check the bananas myself before I take the plunge and buy replacments? Or even better is there anyone local To Bournemouth that might be able to help in exchange for beer and rollys? Thanks

I would say it could be a bush but the mechanic would have seen that when he done an inspection. It's the banana arm, try going over rough surfaces and then brake. The knocking will no doubt stop. I done the same as you, changed the drop links with no difference.

It'll be the B A N A N A B A R

try changing one at a time if you're trying to keep the costs down (LHS first)

As Hench said, drive over a rough surface then apply the brakes with the left foot whilst still keeping the revs up to keep the car moving - if the knocking goes then that's a definite B A N A N A B A R

don't put cheap ones on though

Thanks Guys. i will probably end up changing both at the same time. Then fingers crossed i wont have to pick up a ratchet for at least another 6 months lol. Has anyone changed them themselves? any tricks or stubborn bolts to look out for?

Compression arm/Banana bar.

It'll only happen at lower speeds, not much beyond 35mph iirc.

I had my car down at Abbey when that sound appeared, and they couldn't visibly detect it but on the driveway down we could hear it easily.

Do a search for either of the above names if you want to read up a bit more.