MPSS vs Primacy 3

MDMetal

So new tyre time, Falkens atm and looking at something nicer. Everyone raves about MPSS but looking at the rankings Primacy3's have the same grip but better fuel economy, so what's the story? anyone run both? Also pondering P zero's or Eagle F1's

totally different tyre - they may both displace water equally well according to an EU test, but the MPSS is one of the best road tyres Michelin makes for high performance cars... the primacy3s are not. MPSSs are the ones you want! Goodyear Eagle F1s have a good reputation as well, and are pretty cheap at the moment.

Those tyre ratings are utter nonsense. Worst thing the EU ever brought in IMHO. It's like me saying to you that both a 350Z and a GT-R are capable of 0-60 in under 6 secs, so are both fast: True, but one is significantly better than the other.

Primacys are for shopping trolleys. MPSS are for performance cars.

• Like 3

Do a search for used MPSS tyres in ebay Germany, you can get 6-7mm tyres for less than half the price when new. Just ordered MPSS 305/30/19 for rear and 265/35/19 for fronts for about £400, 6.5mm for fronts, 7mm for rears. Nearly £1000 when new :D

Can you trust the history of the tyres? Hell knows where they being before! Repaired! etc...you have beast under your feet and you need to trust your tyres!

Edited by Dashurik

Do a search for used MPSS tyres in ebay Germany, you can get 6-7mm tyres for less than half the price when new. Just ordered MPSS 305/30/19 for rear and 265/35/19 for fronts for about £400, 6.5mm for fronts, 7mm for rears. Nearly £1000 when new :D

Can you trust the history of the tyres? Hell knows where they being before! Repaired! etc...you have beast under your feet and you need to trust your tyres!

I believe the law in Germany is much tuffer around tyres in that they need to replace them before they get to the level of the above. Thus they can sell them to other countries as they still have a lot of life in them.

Those tyre ratings are utter nonsense. Worst thing the EU ever brought in IMHO. It's like me saying to you that both a 350Z and a GT-R are capable of 0-60 in under 6 secs, so are both fast: True, but one is significantly better than the other.

Primacys are for shopping trolleys. MPSS are for performance cars.

Agreed. MPSS give you a night and day difference over any other performance road tyre. They grip better in the wet than a lot of others do in the dry, last a pretty long time considering how grippy they are, and give you great feel/feedback.

DON'T use P-Zeros. I can't speak for the semi slick trofeos or whatever they are, but the normal road P-Zeros are utter, utter crap. I was in a pickle and needed new rears quickly as I'd had a puncture. The local Kwik Fit (I know, I know... but needs must) only had P-Zeros available in the 'performance' bracket. They were £20 less than the price of MPSS, and I assumed that someone with my limited driving ability would not be able to tell the difference.

They were/are terrible. Just about workable in the dry but any tiny hint of water or even sub 5 degree temps we've had recently and they either spin or, whilst my front MPSS are gripping nicely, the P-Zeros induce ridiculous oversteer because they offer so little grip on the back axle.

Simply overpriced rubbish. I could not believe that two tyres so often compared and so similar in price and application could be so different, until I tried them first hand. I think they are standard fit on Porsches these days (no doubt due to a lucrative exclusivity contract), and have it on good authority that any serious Porsche drivers ditch them for MPSS straight away.

#rantover. Get dem Michelins. Even when my old MPSS on the rear were at the limits of their tread depth, they still offered better grip than just about anything else.

Edited by waltzinblack
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...