So let's make it easier to drive like a twonk

glrnet

Did anyone read the text, or just the headline?

"The DVSA said drivers may instead be asked to focus on more realistic everyday manoeuvres, such as reversing out of a parking bay, or re-joining the flow of traffic from the side of a road."

So yes they're CONSIDERING removing the three point turn (which I admit I'd like to see stay) and the reverse round a corner (who even does that?!), but instead they MAY put things in like reversing out of a bay (which would save all those scratches and dents you get in car parks) and rejoining the road (meaning you don't get someone pull out in front of you doing 20mph). Surely that is a good thing? Or do we really want the test to stay exactly the same without any thought to how driving is evolving over the years?

Nobody wanted the theory test when it came in, there were comments made about people then not really concentrating on the actual driving bit, but I think we can all agree that it's now a success in terms of driving education.

partly agree with you here

removing 3 point turn - ok, can't say I do that very often

reversing round a corner - yep do that all the time

hazard perception test (IMHO) is a joke

"The DVSA said drivers may instead be asked to focus on more realistic everyday manoeuvres, such as reversing out of a parking bay, or re-joining the flow of traffic from the side of a road."

So yes they're CONSIDERING removing the three point turn (which I admit I'd like to see stay) and the reverse round a corner (who even does that?!), but instead they MAY put things in like reversing out of a bay (which would save all those scratches and dents you get in car parks) and rejoining the road (meaning you don't get someone pull out in front of you doing 20mph). Surely that is a good thing? Or do we really want the test to stay exactly the same without any thought to how driving is evolving over the years?

Nobody wanted the theory test when it came in, there were comments made about people then not really concentrating on the actual driving bit, but I think we can all agree that it's now a success in terms of driving education.

I read it. :p:D

I just don't think they should be removing anything ~ just adding to it.

Personally I'd like to see some sort of learner driver concentration camps whereby they're not even allowed on a public road until they are confident enough to perform all the maneuvers safely & drive at speed limits. ;)

• Like 1

New drivers aren't the problem, the test is fine as it is. Its the older drivers who need retesting. Oh and people need re-educating on slip roads and roundabouts!

statistics don't agree

do the statistics account for the thousands of times the older person hits a car in a car park and drives off and still haven't realised? No

i think they only state youngsters have more 'recorded' accidents

• Like 3

I don't think age etc. has anything to do with it, I know people that passed their test first time but used to avoid roundabouts after they passed because they scared them. If people and the government are so bothered by this why not go the same way they did with motorbikes years ago and bring in a BHP limit until you have some real road driving experience without an instructor sat beside you?

• Like 1

New drivers aren't the problem, the test is fine as it is. Its the older drivers who need retesting. Oh and people need re-educating on slip roads and roundabouts!

statistics don't agree

do the statistics account for the thousands of times the older person hits a car in a car park and drives off and still haven't realised? No

i think they only state youngsters have more 'recorded' accidents

true dat

The testing process is of course the first step to becoming a competent driver, it's your experience afterwards that really counts. Anything that makes the learning process more realistic is a good thing. Pass plus after passing should also be mandatory with motorway instruction IMO.

Driving unfortunately is also habit forming and many experienced road users deteriorate by failing to continually assess their behaviour or health . Overconfidence in one's ability can also be dangerous.

Also because of increased demand on the road infrastructure most highways are now designed to reduce build up on major arterial routes,for example some roundabouts are marked out for a double lane right turn past 12 o clock. This then confuses people on roundabouts with shared space that think they can turn right in the left lane etc.

There is no such thing as a perfect driver and all we can do is continually assess our behaviour behind the wheel.I certainly don't think removing the three point turn is an issue if the test involves more realistic tasks.

Edited by Zeezeebaba

partly agree with you here

removing 3 point turn - ok, can't say I do that very often

reversing round a corner - yep do that all the time

hazard perception test (IMHO) is a joke

Is the hazard perception a joke? I dont think so, people should be aware of risks, perhaps it's not the best test but at least it makes you think about them. How else would you do it?

yes it is a joke - (IMO)

bought the CD for my son and obviously had a play ;)

we, as "relatively", experienced drivers, would pick up hazards left right and centre - you try clicking when you spot a "hazard" - it marks you down

yes it is a joke - (IMO)

bought the CD for my son and obviously had a play ;)

we, as "relatively", experienced drivers, would pick up hazards left right and centre - you try clicking when you spot a "hazard" - it marks you down

Only if you're overly 'clicky'

I did it for my bike test a few years ago. Not perfect but still shows your ability to assess problems.