Leaving car outside

chrisday1990

Am I the only person who just shoves their Z on a drive, doesn't use a cover and does drive it (almost) everyday, rain or shine?

It's a modern, mass produced, jap car and as such, should be treated like any other normal car! It doesn't need a lullaby, a blanket or a cuddle at night, it doesn't need a week off between uses and it works perfectly well in wet, windy, foggy and even snowy weather. Stop wrapping your car in cotton wool (and weatherproof breathable covers from Halfords) and just go drive the bloody thing!

Calm down. You seem to be assuming that people who use a cover drive their car less than they would if they didn't use one. It takes me about 1 minute to whip the cover off and shove it in the porch - it has no impact on how much I drive the car.

If you don't have a drive to park on and you don't have the opportunity to drive your car as often as you'd like (in my case because I commute to work on the train every day), a cover can be pretty useful. It's personal choice and it works for me. It means I can wash the car when I have time and it will still be looking good next time I want to drive it. What's wrong with that? :)

Edited by sipar69
  • Like 3

Oh my, I thought I was particular about my zed but I don't even bat an eye lid about leaving it out in the elements.

I gave up worrying about stone chips, marks, rain, etc long ago, these are cars that are meant to be driven and enjoyed.

Reminds me of seeing lots of old classic, vintage cars all spotless and gleaming, wrapped up nice and warm in a museum, it's such a shame, those machines should be out there being used as they were intended.

• Like 2

Just on my way to pick my 350 up and plan to leave it on the drive and commute 40 miles at least twice a week, so hopefully its not too fragile.

Totally get why people would garage/cover especially if its a weekender, always clean ready for a drive then, happy days.

• Like 4

I have to keep my car outside and the cats just love to sit on the bonnet leaving muddy paw prints all over it. Also, I've lost count of amount of times I've just finished washing my car then it starts raining 15 minutes later even when there are no clouds in sight :lol:

I brought a stormforce cover, it's really easy to fit even in the wind, just start with the wing mirrors and slip both ends over in 2 mins.

PVABu9f.jpg

• Like 2

Not really, it's a silly question. Can you leave a mass-produced Japanese built car outside without any problems? Well of course you can!

If the question had been "Is there any benefits of covers/garaging?", then that would've been perfectly reasonable. I'm not trying to be harsh, and I mean it with the greatest of respect to the OP, but this isn't the 1970s anymore. Garaging is awesome, my car lives in there, but I also don't fret when parking it outside for a long period of time. Covers I would never use, for the risk of scratching is too great unless it gets a 100% clean before you put it on. Probably okay if you have the time and/or don't drive the car very often, but it's not for me.

• Like 1

Not really, it's a silly question. Can you leave a mass-produced Japanese built car outside without any problems? Well of course you can!

It's not a silly question. A Madza RX8 is a mass-produced Japanese built car. Created same time as the Z. They rot like crazy! I've owned 2 and they both rotted all over the back arches, sills and boot. A quick search on there owners club will produce a mass of rust and rot threads. Depending on where you live in the country it can be better or worse but unless you keep it inside, they all rot to a degree.

People mention other cars of the same era that rot when defending their RX8s. A very legit question if you've owned such a car.

It's not a silly question. A Madza RX8 is a mass-produced Japanese built car. Created same time as the Z. They rot like crazy! I've owned 2 and they both rotted all over the back arches, sills and boot. A quick search on there owners club will produce a mass of rust and rot threads. Depending on where you live in the country it can be better or worse but unless you keep it inside, they all rot to a degree.

People mention other cars of the same era that rot when defending their RX8s. A very legit question if you've owned such a car.

So they mass produced a car that isn't capable of being outside?

What do you do when you have to drive to the shops and have to park out side?

Surely they wouldn't rust if they were taken care of?

So they mass produced a car that isn't capable of being outside?

What do you do when you have to drive to the shops and have to park out side?

Surely they wouldn't rust if they were taken care of?

I didn't say that and I do take care of my cars. I'm just telling you the facts, you can interpret them however you want to and let the straw man out.

Check out the link below:

http://www.rx8ownersclub.co.uk/forum/search.php?keywords=rust&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=titleonly&sk=t&sd=d&sr=topics&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

I'm just saying it's not a silly question if you've owned certain cars. The op just wanted to know how it fairs in British weather. A legit question. I have a 98 Passat which doesn't have a spot of rust on it and lived outside all it's life. I guess the thickness of paint and type of metal play a part in how they fair

• Like 1