App radio or sat nav + headunit seperate?

-350-Ed-

Good morning ladies and gents B)

So this is my conundrum, on my ever growing and rearranging list of mods I'm wanting to add some sat nav to the Z as well as have some form of Iphone connectivity for audio. So, the way I currently see it is, I have 3 options:

1 - Get an iphone holder and mount it into the centre cubby horizontally, then each time I get into the car I can just slot the phone in and load up maps if required, if not it can just serve as a phone. On top of this, I'd get a new headunit (probably double din) to replace the Bose unit and have it use my phone as a music library.

Pros: Cheapest option. I like the idea of my navigation being in the cubby.

Cons: Iphone 5 screen small in comparison to a dedicated sat nav. If I was running sat nav on the phone whilst playing music through the headunit, it wouldn't dim the music to read me my next instruction. Would running maps absolutely destroy my 10gb data allowance bearing in mind I also stream most music from Deezer or similar?

2 - Buy a nice new sat nav that would fit perfectly into the cubby on the dash, build a mount and have it permanently installed, probably hardwire it into the cig lighter or similar. I was in Halfords the other day and sat navs have come a long way since I bought a TomTom Go 300 years back. There is some nice ones for under 150 that look like they'd fit perfectly into the cubby. Then again, install a DD headunit below and use my phone as its source of music.

Pros: Nice big screen for sat nav as opposed to my iphone. Navigation in preferred position. No worry about data usage. 2 screens look pretty sweet :p

Cons: Cost. Same as option 1 regarding music not dimming when sat nav needs to tell me something.

3 - Buy the Pioneer SPH DA120. This does everything, sat nav, music, bluetooth phone calls. I'm sure you all know the deal with these app radios.

Pros: Does everything I require. No custom mounts need to be made.

Cons: Cost. When using it as sat nav I would think the screen is in an awkward position, being in the cubby would be almost in eye line as opposed to having this thing a bit lower down.

So what are peoples thoughts? I've seen a few people working on ipad mini installs and would love one but it looks way out of my league to install so I've ruled this out until a dedicated kit comes out which it inevitably do.

So have any of you done similar to any of my options? Did it work, do you wish you'd done it differently? Have I missed anything obvious out?

Opinions please :)

Ed

Avoid the App Radio - its OK and a lot better than it was but disconnects frequently which means resetting your phone so not that easy when at the wheel plus also relies on a solid data connection - OK if in town but patchy when out in the wilds . Also pioneer haven't yet got to grips with IOS 6 and I have never been able to get the satnav screen up and listen to music at the same time - it must be possible but defeats me!

• Like 1

Avoid the App Radio - its OK and a lot better than it was but disconnects frequently which means resetting your phone so not that easy when at the wheel plus also relies on a solid data connection - OK if in town but patchy when out in the wilds . Also pioneer haven't yet got to grips with IOS 6 and I have never been able to get the satnav screen up and listen to music at the same time - it must be possible but defeats me!

If that's true then that is a total deal breaker! Which would be a massive shame.

My thoughts:

Option 1: One benefit you haven't mentioned is that this would enable you to charge your phone at the same time, ensuring you're never left without power. Now, granted that means you getting your phone out of your pocket to do so, but using it as a navigation device. If you have it mounted at the correct level, then you wouldn't need spoken directions (indeed, I find them irritating so always turn them off!). Data streaming maps would be a no-go, however you'd simply buy TomTom for iOS and use that instead for £35. I have the UK, Europe and US versions, and they're all superb. Pop a new head unit in and you've got your streaming as well, as you say. This has the added benefit that you always have your satnav with you, regardless of vehicle.

Option 2: I don't see a massive benefit here over the above option. Sure, it will be a bigger screen, but it will also be further away than the iPhone so maybe negligible difference? That's where I had mine mounted when I had a Zed, and although it worked well it's not something I would use these days as satnav on phones is a much more realistic and usable proposition.

Option 3: I personally wouldn't touch App Radio with a bargepole until a couple of generations down the line.

• Like 1

Not had much trouble with my AppRadio once I swapped over to and iPhone. With Android it was a right royal PITA.

I tend to use Waze and the Pioneer CarMediaPlayer to play music. Never had trouble doing both together but you cant see both screens at one. Connects via bluetooth really quick and never had any disconnections. Completely plug in and go which suites me just fine

Steering wheel controlls work fine however for changing through songs. Volume only goes down for some reason regardless of which direction I press the switch and occasionally it will flick over to radio when using the steering wheel controls.

Other than that its been pretty flawless, just dont upgrade to iOS8 as it doesnt support it yet.

http://www.pioneer.e...pdate/page.html

This is how I've got mine setup now minus the old 30pin iPod/iPhone connector.

14952859929_543b7aabe7_c.jpg

Edit:

I actually have two AppRadio2s (SPA-DA100's) with the other in my MX5.

If you watch the video in this post: http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/86529-mx5-build-thread-no-hairdressing-equipment-left-in-vehicle-overnight/page__st__40#entry1386448

I've got my phone hooked up to a WiFi OBD2 reader and it streams loads of info to the DashCommand app on my phone which is then displayed on my headunit. Perfect for getting extra dials without machine gunning my dashboard with gauge pods.

14780369085_71e76b41d2_z.jpg

Edited by longsh07
  • Like 1

Brilliant, cheers for that.

Ok, 2 questions.

Firstly, when using it in sat nav mode, do you find the screen is too low or does it not bother you?

Secondly, if you have the pioneer unit showing your the map, can you have your phone showing music or does it not work like that?

Pop a new head unit in and you've got your streaming as well, as you say. This has the added benefit that you always have your satnav with you, regardless of vehicle.

Do you think if I went down this route, I could be streaming music via bluetooth to a headunit, whilst simultaneously using the tomtom software on my phone as a sat nav?

Brilliant, cheers for that.

Ok, 2 questions.

Firstly, when using it in sat nav mode, do you find the screen is too low or does it not bother you?

Secondly, if you have the pioneer unit showing your the map, can you have your phone showing music or does it not work like that?

Yes, it is a bit low down but you get used to it. I tend to only glance at it now and again and drive off the voice guidance anyway so it's not a bit deal.

No doesn't work like that. The phone doesn't display much at all really. (See my picture). Some apps are supported by the pioneer appradio app, these can be interacted with via touchscreen, any not supported are displayed on the head unit but you can interact with them using the head unit. It basically mirrors what's on the phone screen.

Pop a new head unit in and you've got your streaming as well, as you say. This has the added benefit that you always have your satnav with you, regardless of vehicle.

Do you think if I went down this route, I could be streaming music via bluetooth to a headunit, whilst simultaneously using the tomtom software on my phone as a sat nav?

If you got a head unit capable or accepting streamed Bluetooth audio (not app radio) then no problem, that would work assuming opening tomtom doesn't stop it playing music?

If you went down the app radio route you could play the audio and display the tomtom on phone and head unit but you couldn't swap music (only via the steering controls or opening the pioneer media player) and you couldn't interact with the tomtom app via the head unit as I don't think it's supported.

Have a look at my build thread and see what head unit I have just ordered. Does everything you want and more. I've had one before and can honestly say it's the best unit I've had. My new one arrives in around 10 days, so looking forward to fitting that.

http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/92118-steve916-build-thread/