Buying a car minefield

secretstar07979

"Hello, I'm ringing about the car you have advertised in the Autotrader"

"Oh hi mate"

"First things first, are you a dealer or a private seller"

"Oh I'm a private seller mate. No bullshit"

"Ok, good to know because a lot of traders masquerade as private sellers to dupe potential buyers. So, just a couple of questions about the vehicle. How long has you owned the car"

"A month mate...."

Maybe his financial situation changed? Didn't like the car, cost too much to run, found something better... Many reasons why you'd only have a car for a month.

I had a punto when I first passed my test and the seat gave me a horrible bad back. Sold it and got an A4 about a month later. I wasn't a trader :)

The issue is he is CLEARLY a trader.

Got it from auction and lying to buyers that he's a private seller.

No one buys a car like this blind.

I spoke to him on the phone. Shifty as hell. Trust me. He's a dealer.

His excuse was it cost too much but thats BS. Who buys a sports car expecting it to be cheap to run.

Edited by secretstar07979

"Hello, I'm ringing about the car you have advertised in the Autotrader"

"Oh hi mate"

"First things first, are you a dealer or a private seller"

"Oh I'm a private seller mate. No bullshit"

"Ok, good to know because a lot of traders masquerade as private sellers to dupe potential buyers. So, just a couple of questions about the vehicle. How long has you owned the car"

"A month mate...."

Not necessarily a problem.

I just bought a car for the wife but she doesn't like it so will be selling it very soon.

Has been into my local garage for full check over and new clutch and flywheel.

So I will be selling after a months ownership and someone will get a bargain .........

Got to trust your instincts, if you say he's dodgy or don't like the sound of the deal or whatever then best to walk away and find another.

Bear in mind it is coming up to Christmas and an expensive time for many people so perhaps he hadn't quite worked his finances properly meaning he cannot afford both the car and the holiday season.

Pretty easy one TBH .........

"Hi, Im calling about the car"

"Which car?"

"Bye Mr dealer" :thumbs:

And anyway, whats the problem? If the guy is an actual dealer youve got 28 right or return, if he not a "proper" dealer I dont see how thats different from buying private anyway?

• Like 1

It's the principle guys.

I don't mind buying from a dealer but I don't want to deal with a liar.

I like to deal with honest upfront people.

Another point worth mentioning is this, he had no idea if the service history is Nissan. He said he didn't know until he checked the book. Surely he would have known if he bought it for himself a month back?

And anyway, whats the problem? If the guy is an actual dealer youve got 28 right or return, if he not a "proper" dealer I dont see how thats different from buying private anyway?

This. What is the problem with buying from a dealer? Private seller does not mean that the description will be accurate and the car won't have any issues. If you don't like the guy and don't want to buy from him it is fair enough, but what does that have to do with him being a trader?

It's the principle guys.

Another point worth mentioning is this, he had no idea if the service history is Nissan. He said he didn't know until he checked the book. Surely he would have known if he bought it for himself a month back?

Stop assuming stuff.

Either go see it or move on. For all you know it could be a gem of a car, that you just lost out on because you assumed he was a trader and couldn't remember if it had a FSH....

I don't want to buy from a cowboy dealer. All they do is get them from auctions, whack on a grand and sell it on. Hence the reason why this car is overpriced.

Then.... wait for it.... don't buy it...

Crying about it on the internet isn't going to do anything.

Edit: spelling :doh:

Edited by AliveBoy

The only way to have any kind of confidence in a seller is to buy from a forum member. At least you know that he is an enthusiast and can see previous posts/topics. Autotrader/ebay is 100% buyer beware, unless a reasonably-sized dealer.

Geez, What's with the attitude

It's the principle guys.

Stop assuming stuff.

Either go see it or move on. For all you know it could be a gem of a car, that you just lost out on because you assumed he was a trader and couldn't remember if it had a FSH....

What's with the attitude? Geez

There's no attitude, just trying to open your mind a little bit to alternative answers...

I don't want to buy from a cowboy dealer. All they do is get them from auctions, whack on a grand and sell it on. Hence the reason why this car is overpriced.

But this is how their business works, or any business for that matter :S