Bonnet Struts

steve916

Hi guys,

I fitted my bonnet gas struts this morning, and I've found that I now have to pull the bonnet open, and push down quite hard to close it.

Is this just because the struts are new?

I've checked and double checked everything is fitted correctly.

Have you fitted them upside down?

That's a good point BBK. ;)

Although Steve does say he's checked all fitted correctly ~ just in case pictures below to clarify.

INCORRECTLY FITTED X

AE35704F-4E2F-4C46-A5FD-C615B0FCC443-12699-0000081FC607B109.jpg

CORRECT FITTING

AD116F1A-AA25-4C71-AF2B-13F6349AA175-5590-0000038A4FEDDBB0_zpsadf1bc26.jpg

Best pictures I could find Steve but hope that makes it obvious which way around they should be. :thumbs:

• Like 1

Steve not sure what bonnet struts you bought but mine work in a similar way. They have got better over time but yes you do have to give it a helping hand so I'd say it was most likely normal. ;)

Still better than using the OEM bonnet stay. B)

Sounds like it's normal then. I agree it's better than the OEM stay, but just wanted to check.

Have you fitted them upside down?

That's one thing I made sure of before I started fitting them. I watched a vid on YouTube of these fitted and when the bonnet is opened it only needed a small amount of lift before the struts take over. I think it may have been your car.

I have to give mine a small lift to start them off, I sure it's normal, :thumbs:

Just don't force them either up or down.

I have to lift mine all the way open, then it stays there ok

That's not normal then Steve, mine opens a bit slowly but you can tell when the lifters take over. :thumbs:

my one springs open... almost a bit too aggressively. once i unlock the bonnet i have to keep a hand on it to control the speed

I designed an auto opening boot strut system for MGZT and Rover 75, and sometimes these were a bit aggressive depending on the age of the original hinges, spoilers fitted etc. We used to have competitions at local meets to see who could launch a polystyrene cup the furthest at the press of the key fob button :D

We used to have competitions at local meets to see who could launch a polystyrene cup the furthest at the press of the key fob button :D

I now want a Rover 75. Kill me. Kill me now.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Help! Just installed the bonnet struts and they are so stiff my lid won't even close. Just hangs open. Anyone else had this or know how to fix it?

I think I'm actually going to remove mine, as they are horribly stiff and they are putting too much stress on my bonnet. They have actually pushed the bonnet up higher when it's closed.

Edited by steve916

Stu had a similar problem with his. It was only when I tried another set, then removed them altogether, we found it was actually his bonnet/hinges that were the issue and not the dampers.

Try your bonnet without them connected.