RAC Inspection? Your views please

Joeycuz

Hi,

I've got my heart set on buying a zed over the next few weeks and I'm after a little advice.

I have arranged a few viewings over the weekend, all within a reasonable distance from

Where I live apart from one zed that is over 250 miles away.

Would you guys say it's wise to have the car inspected by the RAC and for them to give me a detailed report of the car as it would save me a 500 Mile round trip?

I don't mind traveling if I know the car is going to be coming home with me, but it would grate my gears if I turned up and something was wrong.

Would I be making a huge mistake in not viewing it in person? Are the rac inspections any good??

I know a lot of people may think I'm mad even contemplating the idea but I'd love to hear back from anyone who may of done this. :/

What Doogy said.

I had an AA inspection on mine when I bought it, got a nice report back and had a straightforward chat with the bloke. They only inspect visually and go for a drive, they don't start taking bits off and prodding it around. The guy was friendly and helpful and I even managed to get the dealer to do some jobs he suggested, which I hadn't noticed (due to being massively over excited :lol: ).

It wasn't cheap to get it and since then I have met people who I trust to do the same thing, but at the time it gave me a bit more peace of mind. An experienced Zed fiend will know exactly what to look for, but an inspection guy may only have ever seen one or two 350s up close before.

We had it done both times that we bought our Zed.

I would always get it done unless they were local and I could get CS to look at the car for me but our current one was up in Scotland when we got her. The AA report was very detailed he found that a wing had been resprayed with paint depth meter!, that the battery was on the way out and all the dings and scratches which gave me good negotiating leverage. TBH without wishing any disrespect to the forum members unless your working on cars regularly (Zmanalex/CS/abbeyfield/Zedshed etc) I don't think I'd trust your opinion over the AA mechanic. I know about the issues (and discounted numerous cars before finding the current one on test drives etc) with the Zed but I don't think id be qualified or have the equipment to check a car over thoroughly and I wouldn't want someone to take my word for it either. They also pressure tested the coolant system as it was a little low in the tank so its not just a visual inspection.

I could probably drag up the AA report if you want to see the detail Joey.

Hawker

Edited by hawker1986

Personally I'd get someone on here to go look at it like DoogyRev has said , I don't rate AA/RAC Inspections.

The guys on here know the cars very well and Id trust their opinion if I didn't already know about zeds.

I think there are othe companies that do this other than AA or RAC. Pre purchase inspections, I'm sure there might be a better option out there.

Will probably cost you tho, but then it would cost if you had to do the 500 mile trip

Problem is, is the said forum member going to take any responsibility when they say 'yeah, it's a good car' and it turns out to be a lemon?

It's difficult to trust someone you've never met or spoken to before to basically give you the go ahead to spend a good few thousand coins, where as the RAC/AA inspection will at least have some comeback (I've not looked at their blurb or anything but I believe they give you some cover if it breaks)?

Problem is, is the said forum member going to take any responsibility when they say 'yeah, it's a good car' and it turns out to be a lemon?

It's difficult to trust someone you've never met or spoken to before to basically give you the go ahead to spend a good few thousand coins, where as the RAC/AA inspection will at least have some comeback (I've not looked at their blurb or anything but I believe they give you some cover if it breaks)?

I don't think they do.

Thanks for all the replys. Yeah that is a good idea asking a fellow member to check it out, I didn't consider that! But like the member above mentioned its a lot of money il be spending.

The car is infact in Scotland and I'm down in essex so it's going to be near on 700 miles rather than 500 in which I first mentioned. I drive for a living throughout the week so I don't want to waste my weekend doing it for nothing :)

I'm going to get afew quotes today and il post it later.

Thanks again,

Joe

Think the idea of getting a member to go see it, is what if it's someones neighbor etc? or lives 2 seconds away - Even if it's just to go inspect the car and see if it's dog or any hidden damages etc.

Then when the member gives it the all clear, thats when I'd decide to go see it or get the RAC out.

People are suggesting that someone on the forum check out the car rather than having it inspected, personally I wouldn't look at a car for someone (I would go with them however and point things out) as it's a bit like looking at someone's personal PC. You'll be forever responsible for anything that goes wrong with it.

My thinking is,

Seller says - Car is fine, runs sound, has 4 new tyres on etc.

What if seller was lying or wasn't sure, and said tyres are bold or has one bold tyre or the car has something obvious wrong that would put the buyer off.

Would you ask a local member or pay £200 to find that out?

A member could go and look . If it's an obvious lemon then they can say don't bother but if it looks a decent car then look at getting a paid inspection. Your as covered as you can be then and not wasting time/money on rubbish cars.

But that's what pictures are for? I like the community spirit and everything but I would only go with the person so they can make their own decision.

Pictures lie! The amount of cars/ bikes I've looked at over the years that look great in photos and s#%t in the metal.

I don't think they do.

I aksed my one about this, they take responsbility at all for missing stuff or if things go pear shaped after purchase.

Guy who bought my Audi had one done for 300 quid and the report said that the car was idling high and needed a new turbo.

I had to go out and film the car ticking over, load it to YouTube and let the guy watch it to prove the mong wrong!

• Like 1

I wouldn't think it would be a problem getting a member to go and have a look before getting inspection done.

Also if you go yourself you may have rose tinted glasses on and miss some maybe obvious flaws.

It's a difficult one. I live same sort of distance from Scotland so there is no way I would travel up there without someone saying it was worth the trip.

Are any of them on the forum? Someone may have owned it before

Why not make full use of modern technology?

If you get a member to go look at it, and you both have iPhones or similar, you could FaceTime/Skype the member whilst he/she is viewing the car. Then if he/she spots anything, you'll get to see it too, and then it's you that makes the decision on it, not the member that's viewing. You also get yourself a live viewing of the car.