Garage compressors

AliveBoy

Hi All!

So, the time has come where I need a compressor at home, but how big should I go?

I will be using it mostly for inflating tyres and every now and again running a few small air tools, saw, sander, paint gun etc.

I've been looking at a budget 2hp model with a 50ltr tank as I only have a standard 240v power supply at home. Noise isn't an issue and to a large extent neither is refill time, so long as I can use tools for a couple of minutes at a time.

Anyone who provides help can use it when needed :lol:

I only have 3 compressors so none spare :lol:

50l 2hp - yes it will spray a car if your not to fast - I do find it is a little lacking for air tools, they usually do about 9cfm a grinder needs 12 or more and my sandblaster takes what it can get lol.

My 2 big compressors are 200l 14cfm - does everything and 150l 12cfm - sandblaster mostly - got it cheap from the bay, got a new motor for (not fitted yet) as it was cheap and the bearings are going in mine.

The 50l is general purpose mostly used for the air-fed mask when spraying or sandblasting - does that OK.

The lidl /Aldi ones come round once or twice a year and are meant to be pretty good for the money but I'm sure they are only 25 litres.

I bought mine from S's this year, and it seems pretty good. It has only had light use so far though.

I went for a 50ltr starter kit with some extra hose and a tool kit with a good selection of air tools in it.

And they look cool in black and blue lol

Have a look here

http://www.sgs-engineering.com/air-compressors

Edited by Sam Mcgoo

I've been looking at petrol generators so I think I'm going to get one as it's cheaper than running power to my garage. Id never spray a whole car, just small parts and the quality would never need to be amazing :lol:

Now I've got some inspiration I'm going to sort the garage out! Thanks guys :lol:

You can run a compressor from a genny - they do at track - you need a good genny and you must ALWAYS bleed the compressor for first start so it removes some of the load - the problem is the compressor will stop and start as you use it.

That is when you get a big draw on the genny, and why they don't recommend it - having said that if it's a permanent solution I would agree it's not a good one.

You can get a petrol engined compressor, cost a bit more

example

http://www.ebay.co.u...D-/161466324043

But that one only has 10CFM - bit of research me thinks is needed :)

Edited by Keyser

This is my issue:

giQ546.png

My house/garden is the bigger red square and the garage is the small one. The pink lines are footpaths which I can't dig up and there's two houses in between mine and the footpath.

I'm thinking that I'll put a 50ltr compressor into the shed (blue square) with one hard line out into the fence which I can then plug the flexible hoses into, and one remaining in the shed so I can use tools on the car on the road but still use bits inside the shed. It's a bit of a ballache, but it would offer the best solution for me I think. Anyone have any better ideas? :lol:

Only problem I see in your cunning plan is you lose pressure over distance with hoses so you would need a BIG hose - I didn't think it would make much difference but it does.

Just a thought :)

Only problem I see in your cunning plan is you lose pressure over distance with hoses so you would need a BIG hose - I didn't think it would make much difference but it does.

Just a thought :)

I wouldn't use the air lines all the way to the garage, just to the road which is only a pavement's width across. Most things I could do in the shed, so it would just mean a bit of manoeuvring around. I think I need a strong trolley to take stacks of wheels from the garage to the shed :lol:

• Like 1