How long have you been married?

NeilMH

I think that marriage, even if you think it is a 'useless piece of paper', gives both partners certain legal rights doesn't it? I'm a bit hazy on the detail but I'm pretty sure there is no such thing as common law marriage and so you run the risk of not being allowed to see your partner if they become seriously ill and hospitalised. A bit extreme I know but it could happen if you were unlucky. Also, if one of you won the lottery and decided to run off with the au pair/tennis coach or whatever, wouldn't you have more rights if you were married?

There again if you don't believe in marriage maybe there's nothing that would persuade you to get hitched? I like being married but I wouldn't have wanted a massive, 'look at us' type wedding. We had a lovely little civil wedding in a beautiful venue with only 5 guests and it was perfect for us :)

• Like 1

If people want to get married I say fair play to them but I wouldn't do it to protect my legal rights - that doesn't seem like a very meaningful reason. I do think that along with kids and a mortgage it's one of those things that SOME NOT ALL people have tended to do because it's 'the done thing' - just one of those things in life that people are automatically expected to do.

Provided it's done for the right reasons and not rushed into - great - enjoy! :)

Two bears - you are correct - marriage creates stronger legal rights in certain matters and also obligations to go with them.

Edited by sipar69

I have been monitoring the responses on Blatchat (Lotus and Caterham 7 owners) that prompted me to start this thread.

Someone has just responded that he first met his wife in 1953. Their first proper date was at the 1957 Motor Show :lol: where his Dad's Porsche 356B was on display. They were married in 1964. Plus they still drive around in a Caterham 7. That's quite cool B)

• Like 2

14 years on second marriage.

Can't remember first marriage, so painful emotionally and financially that it has been deleted from my memory.

First wedding was a full blown affair - hated it.

Second wedding was low key, civil wedding with just close relatives and mates and was a great day.

I would never encourage anyone to spend a small fortune on all the pomp and circumstance, too stressful and really spoils the enjoyment.

• Like 3

14 years on second marriage.

Can't remember first marriage, so painful emotionally and financially that it has been deleted from my memory.

First wedding was a full blown affair - hated it.

Second wedding was low key, civil wedding with just close relatives and mates and was a great day.

I would never encourage anyone to spend a small fortune on all the pomp and circumstance, too stressful and really spoils the enjoyment.

We almost went this route then just canned it due to the instant expectations - everyone saying 'you HAVE to do this and you HAVE to do that' so we said sod it, close family and some friends and that is it. We thought people might get annoyed but it was fine, most people are in it for the party any way :lol: