House selling/new boiler question

twobears

If you were selling your house and it had an elderly central heating boiler, would you install a new boiler before you put it on the market? My current boiler is ancient and has just broken down so I have a dilemma. The plumber is looking for spare parts and, assuming he can find them for such an antique, I have the option of a possible repair. If it can't be repaired I will, obviously, have to have a new boiler fitted so the question will be answered for me. The problem is further complicated by the fact that the current boiler is fitted into an old chimney breast, where it sits neatly, but current regs won't allow a new boiler to be installed in the same place so I would have to have an ugly boiler in my otherwise beautiful kitchen.

Any advice please, assuming the boiler can be fixed?

That is true. I was thinking it would be better to fix it if possible but wasn't sure if people now demanded certificates for things like heating systems as I know the whole house selling process has changed since I last did it. Does the 'energy certificate' thing have much impact I wonder? My current boiler is not efficient energywise but it has worked for many years and scrapping it for a new one would surely waste more resources? It all seems too complicated to me :headhurt:

Ok, thanks. Repair it is, assuming it can be repaired.

Hmm, I've no idea what make or model it is. I'm down here in Weybridge and the boiler is in Yorkshire so I can't go and look either :lol:

I know this sounds odd but I don't like wall cupboards in kitchens so I haven't got any. I've got freestanding wooden cabinets and they are all full of baking equipment etc so there really isn't anywhere to put the boiler so that it would be unobtrusive. Also, just to complicate things even further there is only one possible spot in the kitchen that the boiler could be installed because the oil line has to reach it and it has to be vented to the outside I think. I am dreading the plumber ringing to say that he can't repair the old boiler :(

To answer the original question, I would leave as is as new owner may want to change type as in traditional to an on demand. As long as its working and you can state service date would leave alone. I certainly would not be deterred from buying the house i want by something that can be fairly easily replaced and is not a great cost in the grand scheme of things.

Edited by Mudman
  • Like 1

In fairness, I don't see why you'd need to tell any potential buyers, so long as the repair is a proper one and a not either a stopgap or a bodge? When we bought our house we had a plumber check over the heating system the house had before we exchanged contracts as it was warm air and from the 70's. Everything was in decent working order, but a year later it packed up and we had to replace the whole system with radiators etc.

It will be picked up during a survey (unless the buyer is foolish enough not to have one done), so in my experience is always best when you know something in the house is on its last legs to say up front so nasty shocks for either the buyer or the seller being offered a silly price because of issues.

Same principles as selling a car, for me.

• Like 1

If you have to get a new boiler, there is always the option of siting the boiler externally.

We didnt want our boiler in the kitchen on our new build, so we put it outside. Its a self contained unit and sits against one of the bungalow walls.

Saves bringing oil pipes into the living space. Fumes and leaks can stay out there as well.

Had it 2 years and it works very well.

Fix it if it can be fixed. Borderline madness to spend £1000's on a new boiler. The new house buyer won't care as long as the boiler is working and you'll have a recent certificate (Or whatever you get) from the plumber proving so.