Thinking about it.....

Hi all!

New car time and I'm really unsure about selling my R53 Mini Cooper S. Its been put back to standard and up for sale so too late to pull out now.

I have gone from car to car trying to decide what I want next but I keep coming back to the 350z.

The Mini was horrendous on fuel so it makes Zed ownership less daunting, I only do low mileage as I work from home.

I have a viewing tomorrow for a local to me UK 350Z GT. Its a low miler (56k) 2004. Fingers crossed its a good one and I will see how I get on with it.

Ive had a read of the site but in case I have missed anything should I look out for anything other than the usual tomorrow?

Thanks, Stuart

Hi and welcome check the radiator fans are working as the motors sticking are an issue and the middle of the exhaust as the standard one likes to break. But I'd say go for it as the only problem I've found is now I want a 370z. Make sure you have good tyres all round as cheap ones destroy the handling :)

• Like 1

Ok thanks for that Shane.

It has mixed front to back tyres but they aren't 'cheap' tyres so its not the be all end all.

Just reading the buying guide on here and its sitting right at the 'big service' mileage so I will find out what is needed in this service and check its been done.

Stu

Even if I don't like it or 350's I will be happy to walk away thinking I haven't wasted my time or had it wasted for me.

Ive recently looked at four Focus ST's and the experience has put me off the car in general. The condition dealers try and sell cars in is shocking. Unwashed, accident damaged.... Yesterday I didn't even get out of my car as I pulled up this ST was sat there with a flat tyre. Why? Just why?

Like I say, really has put me off them and I wasn't 100% convinced anyway.

Im a keen Cyclist (when I get chance) which made me hesitate with a Zed but Im confident in the Seasucker bike mounts so I will either go that route or a custom hidden hitch mount (I can fabricate to a reasonable level). Nice project (maybe :-) ).

:welcome:

Good luck with your search, there's no going back though once you experience the joys of a zed, I was smitten after my first test drive and then there is the inevitable zeditis for which there is no known cure :lol:

Research is the best way forward which you've already done so just enjoy your test drive and I'm sure you'll know when you find the right one :thumbs:

• Like 1

If you can look for corrosion on the chassis side hardline brake pipes on the rears as pic below, take a torch if necessary to get a look through the wheels.

I've had mine from new, 2004 (56k miles) and the break pipe has just recently split from corrosion.

Andy

SAM 2468

• Like 1

Welcome Stu ~ most has been covered above and also in the buyers guide that you've been reading.

If you can try to ascertain what fuel has been used that's useful info as the Zed should have only been run on Super Unleaded and lower Ron unleaded fuel can cause damage to the engine especially if used for long periods.

Check to see if the boot opens with one press of the button, if it takes two presses to clear the latch it's not a big deal but just another bargaining chip for a cheaper price. To fix that it will likely need either new boot assist popper springs or the "penny trick" doing to it to fix it.

If the boot doesn't hold it's own weight up & wants to drop then that'll be the gas struts going or gone ~ again easy fix (new struts) & another bargaining chip.

Service schedule for the 350Z here which is useful for checking what should have been done depending on the year/mileage of the car; http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/31110-service-schedule-for-a-350z/

Enjoy the test drive. :thumbs:

• Like 1

Thanks for all the help.

Regarding the fuel I doubt most are run on the higher octane surely?

Duck mate quick :lol: You can get strung up on here for suggesting the use of standard grade fuel :scare:

They SHOULD be run on higher and there are a few stories on here including one from me of engines blowing pistons apart from not using the good stuff ;)

Here ya go a 350 (DE) engine tuned for performance and run on standard did this to the pistons -

DSCF1734.jpg

DSCF1733.jpg

DSCF1732.jpg

DSCF1731.jpg

When I showed the block to Dan at advanced motorsport he said it looks like they drove it till it died - then just kept going :lol:

• Like 2

Even if you was to buy a st I would be putting higher grade stuff in. I did with my megane sport.

I think you can get away with it in the HR but with the older cars you can't. And even with a HR I wouldn't dream of putting cheap fuel in!!

Well, you guys won't believe this. I can't.

Arranged to view the car mentioned above at 11am this morning.

Pulled up at the address and got that wonderful feeling in my gut that I was looking at my next car. Seller opened the front door to tell me he sold it a minute earlier. Shrugged his shoulders.

Mightily pi**ed off as my Mini sold this morning also so I was in a position to buy.

:-(