Advice On track day in my zed

Jmanji

My zed is an 04 with a pop charger and spacers, I want to take it on track at snetterton in two weeks.

My idea is to get the braided brake lines fitted and put some better pads that are going to give me better braking on the day but keep the standard discs for now?

Also I'm not sure of the clutch condition, it does drive ok but today I tested it out by pulling away in third with revs which it did and could not feel slipping, however I did notice the clutch burning smell, so let it settle for 30 min took it out again and tried a 1st gear wheelspin which it done with no problem, the clutch bites at the top of pedal like most Zeds .

The Last thing I want is the clutch to go on track but then it could go anywhere I suppose.

Could anyone recomend what other precautions to take for a track day like should I change the oil which was done 4,000 miles ago, as well should I upgrade the brake fluid?

Just want a good hard driving day with no big hiccups on track, may also be getting some track tyres to take.

One other important factor, I'm getting mouthwashes cobra back box and I'm worried it may exceed the 105 db noise limit or 92db drive by? Does anyone know what they put out noise wise (non resonated)

Any advice on other things that I should check beforehand would be appreciated.

I've been on track when my car was standard, runs and handles fine.

At the end of the day on track, there is always a risk as I found out. Did all my usual checks, oil, fluids brakes etc.

Engine still blew up :)

You can do all the checks in the world and you may still run into an issue.

Just make sure your fluids are at correct level

Pads are in good condition/along with discs.

Good tread on tyres.

Don't let this put you off though, when I get a new engine I'll be straight back out there.

Pulling away in 3rd is not the way to test a clutch: No wonder it stunk afterwards! Put it in 4th at 30mph and floor it, that's the way to test for slippage.

Standard car will be absolutely fine, just check its mechanically sound. With just a fortnight to go, now isn't the time to be making any changes really.

• Like 1

I have been to snetterton in my mx5 mk1 track car, loved every second of it and had no problems even after thrashing the hell out off it all day.don't want to blow the z engine if I can help it, so will be doing small 10-15 min runs and checking all the vital signs in the pits, At least I now know how to test the clutch " thx Ekona" probably going to leave it stock for the first track day, may flush the brake fluid which someone has recommended, I also read somewhere using water rather than coolant in the rad for the day will be better for keeping temperature down and switch it back after to coolant for the anti corrosives etc?Going off to see what db the cobra exhaust will make.

Anyone else going to snetterton mon 6th October

Thx for the advice

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DO NOT CHANGE THE COOLANT!!! Seriously, it'll be absolutely fine.

Who on earth gave you that nugget of advice?

If it's a cool day, you can probably safely run 20mins at a time, but if you were super hard on your brakes then you might not even manage 5 mins. It's all about being sensible, and listening to what the car is telling you. :)

Cool I won't change it then !!!

Like you say sensible and keep an eye on the car, what about changing tyres to that used track set for sale on here.

DO NOT CHANGE THE COOLANT!!! Seriously, it'll be absolutely fine.

LOL, I was reading water is 50 % more thermal conductive than coolant, I guess as I'm not actually racing it will be fine

As your first time tracking the Zed, I wouldnt. You'll learn more about the car on tyres that allow the car to move around more.

Plus, stickier tyres mean more speed, which means you put more heat into the brakes, which are the weakest point of a standard Zed :)

are you running any other changes to exhaust other than the back box? if its just backbox, you'll be fine, i think the resonated one is 85db, and then non resonated is 90db. miles away from the 105db limit.

if you do change the brake pads before the day make sure you have time to bed them in properly before using them hard. i personally think brake pads, fluid, line and then discs is the order to upgrade, we've been tracking a bmw 3 series for the last year and a half with just pad and fluid change, and its been fine.

and regardless of any changes, make sure you dont overstretch the car - make sure you do a decent cool down lap at the end of every stint to let the brakes cool, and dont put the handbrake on when you come in the pits. also check tyre pressures during the day - they'll go up by as much as 8psi as the tyres get warm, so i'd let air out down to 30psi when they're cold to start, and then check them again once they're warm - you probably want around 33psi hot pressure, then can play with the balance if the is over or understeering.

as for clutch just drive it with mechanical sympathy - need accuracy with gearchanges. how is your heel and toeing? you'll need to slot 2nd for the two hairpins.

• Like 2

What pads are you using in the Z? If some OEM type ones bring a spare set... also flush the coolant and get some Motul 660 in there, what rubber is on the wheels? What spacers are on it? Keep a good eye on the water temps... burp the system before you go out using a funnel, great way of getting out trapped air. if the water temp goes up to half way its pretty hot in there and Id recommend cruising a bit to get it down, the OEM gauge is very bad to keep track on the temperature though so best play it safe.

• Like 1

i did my first day at snet in a basically stock car,

just checked my levels all round and tyre condition before i went out, and i choose to change oil etc after

surprised myself and a lot of cars out there, was a beginner day so lots of mx5 mr2 e36 bmw civic/integra type r but the only things to pass me all day was a elise and a r8,

yea pulling away isnt a way to test a clutch that a way to ruin it and fast at that, but i do the same as ekona when testing clutch high gear low speed and plant it see if the revs rise and the mph doesn't, but you can feel/ ear it easy enough

Edited by StevoD

Thanks for the info regarding the checkpoints etc, I have bought a set of used toyo r888 tyres on standard 350z wheels 3mm left on them, I have ebach spacers

20mm front, 24mm backs, oem pads as far as I'm aware but not 100%, plenty left on them. May not be fitting the cobra back box now as it may not come my way. Perhaps I should use the road tyres first time out as Ekona mentions brake heat could be stretched for oem setup.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ive done 2 track days at Snetteron in my almost standard Zed. Heres my 2 cents:

General:

Driving on a track is far more intense on the car than road driving. It will highlight any problems with your car. If I could test drive a car on a track I would. I used to track day a Saxo VTR once a month. I discovered a faulty rear damper on Debtors Dip at Kirkistown, Northern Ireland by having the back snap out at 100MPH and skidding backwards across the grass at 80MPH. It was interesting!

Therefore I advise you build your speed slowly. I highly recommend your do it however! Take advantage of the driving instruction. Its well worth it.

Brakes:

As others have pointed out the weak point on the Zed. Check your discs and pads from and rear. Specifically check the inside of disc and the inside pad as they tend to wear more than the outside. I found my front discs where shot, as the expanded under the heat they warped causing vibrations under braking. Not confidence inspiring at 120MPH! Braided lines and uprated fluid are a cheap and reasonably easy upgrade. Extra ducting is worth considering. Beware when leaving the circuit as the fluid will still be hot. You may find you need to brake considerably harder when driving at normal speeds. When the fluid cools its no longer a problem. A Spare set of brake pads is worth considering.

Do not apply the handbrake after a driving session, leave it in gear. You can weld the rear pads to the hot disc.

Oil:

Another weak point of the zed is it does heat the oil. There is an oil to coolant oil cooler installed but a proper oil cooler is worth considering. I would limit hard laps to say five in a row followed by a cool down lap driving in a high gear. After you stop pop your bonnet to allow the heat to escape.

Tyres:

The single most important item for track days. Don't mix brands front and rear. Get a tyre pressure gauge, you will find as your tyres heat the pressure rises dramatically. You will need to let out some air and top it up after the track day.

Other:

Bringing a Go Pro camera is a great way to record your day but it must be mounted securely or the Marshall's won't let you out. Unfortunately the Zed interior doesn't have many good points.

• Like 2

No never used 888s

Then be careful. They're amazing, but they grip and grip and grip then snap: They're not massively progressive on the limit in the dry. They're are very communicative in the wet though!

If you're sliding a lot then you'll burn through them quickly, which can make it interesting for the drive home...

Amazing tyres though, I ran them as road tyres on my Zed and still use them on the MR2.

OK, Im not having a pop but do you really think two trackdays is enough to start giving advice?

I found my front discs where shot, as the expanded under the heat they warped causing vibrations under braking.

Brake discs dont warp, they sometimes pick up deposits which are impossible to see though. Generally a proper bit of heavy braking will sort them out so if they are a bit wobbly to start with just push through it.

Extra ducting is worth considering.

Why? Ive done 15+ days on everything from Anglesey to Spa and not had a problem.

There is an oil to coolant oil cooler installed but a proper oil cooler is worth considering. I would limit hard laps to say five in a row followed by a cool down lap driving in a high gear

Oil cooler - not needed unless you are drifting, and cool down lap just needs to be not maximum attack, high gears or going really slowly arent anything to worry about - its more for the brakes than the engine anyway :)

Don't mix brands front and rear.

I wouldnt rush out and buy matching tyres just for a trackday TBH ;)

My main advice - dont worry. At the end of the day its not much different from a spirited drive on an A road, yes its harder on the brakes but its not like youre entering a 6 hour endurance race. Go steady to start with, dont try to race anyone and gradually build your speed up while remaining comfortable with it and before you know it you'll be hossing round like an old hand. The best bit of advice I ever got given youre the only person driving the car, if you crash or lose it its because YOU were pushing too hard, and YOU need to be the one to realise that. :thumbs:

• Like 4

OK, Im not having a pop but do you really think two trackdays is enough to start giving advice?

2 days in the Zed but I've been doing track days for donkeys.

I found my front discs where shot, as the expanded under the heat they warped causing vibrations under braking.

Brake discs dont warp, they sometimes pick up deposits which are impossible to see though. Generally a proper bit of heavy braking will sort them out so if they are a bit wobbly to start with just push through it.

Any metal will expand with enough heat. If the disc is not a floating design it will warp. The discs were shot. I had a look before I went but didn't check the inside. The insides of both front and rear where worn.

Extra ducting is worth considering.

Why? Ive done 15+ days on everything from Anglesey to Spa and not had a problem.

Good for you, take a look here http://www.350z-uk.c...ld#entry1167694

The after picture has been removed but the calliper changed colour. My guess is that takes some serious heat. Why not extra ducting? Its very cheap and might just save you from brake fade at the worst moment. What brake pads/disc were you using? not all are created equal.

There is an oil to coolant oil cooler installed but a proper oil cooler is worth considering. I would limit hard laps to say five in a row followed by a cool down lap driving in a high gear

Oil cooler - not needed unless you are drifting, and cool down lap just needs to be not maximum attack, high gears or going really slowly arent anything to worry about - its more for the brakes than the engine anyway :)

You have just repeated what I said. What oil temperature are you getting? what was the ambient temperature? again an oil cooler is not expensive if you plan to do many track days.

Don't mix brands front and rear.

I wouldnt rush out and buy matching tyres just for a trackday TBH ;)

Mixing brands front and rear is not even recommended for road driving! especially in the wet. Just get some part worns if they don't match.

My main advice - dont worry. At the end of the day its not much different from a spirited drive on an A road, yes its harder on the brakes but its not like youre entering a 6 hour endurance race. Go steady to start with, dont try to race anyone and gradually build your speed up while remaining comfortable with it and before you know it you'll be hossing round like an old hand. The best bit of advice I ever got given youre the only person driving the car, if you crash or lose it its because YOU were pushing too hard, and YOU need to be the one to realise that. :thumbs:

Edited by Mack

Think you read too much into that, who said that when you're on track you have to drive like a F1 driver? A Track day is like a spirited road drive, you take it easy and be mindful of your surroundings. It's not a time attack.

Think you read too much into that, who said that when you're on track you have to drive like a F1 driver? A Track day is like a spirited road drive, you take it easy and be mindful of your surroundings. It's not a time attack.

Fair enough, I've edited my post.

I personally like to push hard.

Edited by Mack

Ok, looks like a mixed bag of rainy weather tomorrow so leaving the road tyres on.

Done all the checks I can think of and everything on the car seems fine.

Will hopefully get some video footage using harrys laptimer app, just fixed an iphone holder to the rear screen.

Will update after the event !!!!

• Like 2