Short term insurance for newly qualified driver

ioneabee

struggling to find 1 weeks insuance for an 18 yr old just passed (hopefully)

suggestions on how to do this

alot of sites are saying hold a licence for 1 year or more - but they don't say whether its a full or provisional (he's held his for more than 1 yr but provisional)

Many sites won't accept unless older than 19

he's off to uni next week so pointless taking out insurance for a year

I'm not sure any one would, or that I'd bother if it's just for a week. Tbh using taxis would probably be cheaper.

there speaks someone who hasn't got kids and is soooo old he can't remember what it was like when he passed his test :lol:;)

nah, sorry dan - not an option :)

O.K, I used a company called Fortis, they have now changed their name to Aegas. This involved me insuring the car for 12 months and adding my daughter as a named driver. This would allow her to drive the car for I think 30 days per year. You could choose which days you wanted by popping in to the insurance brokers and nominating the period you needed cover for. We did it in blocks of 10 days and there was an additional fee (something like a tenner) for each block as I remember it.

Pete

• Like 1

What does he need the car for, for a week? Can he not just suffer with public transport?

I just think it's going to be a lot of cost and ballache for little gain.

:lol: we live in the countryside..............what public transport :blush:

if we want go by public transport - we have to (mainly) drive to get to it then so long as we don't want to come back the same day...........

he has a girlfriend he wants to impress :scare:

and yes, I could carry on driving him (not a problem), but all I'll say is that he NEEDS his independance and yes I could refuse to sort it, but I won't and no - he is not a spoiled brat - he's extremely polite and courteous (or else ;) ) - not your average teenager (even if i do say so myself :surrender: )

Ironically, if he'd been in a van he would've passed.

whilst obviously not wrong from the examiners point of view - it just seemed a bit harsh

he had 7 minors (allowed 15) - so well within there - all the other boxes were blank (which means passed ok)

Cant he pay for his own policy? :shrug: i and all my friends when we passed are test had to work and save up to pay them

with what :shrug: - because he's off to uni, no-one wants to employ him and he has tried a lot of places - employers are looking for part timers, but part time every week etc - he's only available holiday times and those positions appear to be few and far between

i dont want this to come across horribly but im sure it will so please forgive me,

if you cant afford it you dont get it!

i cant afford a Ferrari, so i don't own a Ferrari

if he cant afford an insurance premium, he doesn't get insurance,

If i want said Ferrari i do all i can to get it tightening belt etc, its all about priority, When i was 17 on a apprentice wage,

i was earning about £450 a month, £350 of that went to insurance the other £100 on fuel to get to and from work but in turn i sacrificed, going out with friends on a Saturday night or buying nice new clothes, or new phone and other gadgets etc, Because my priority was the car

Same with a friend i have now he cant understand how we both earn similar but i can afford my car and he was just getting by running a civic, difference is he was spending £150-200 a month on games, DVDs and sweets from tesco to sit in and watch most night with a £20 dominos twice a week, where as i dont,

Like you say hes off to UNI which i guessing is his life choice, i still know people who went to uni but haven't got a car but that was there life choice and you cant have everything, No car now and a Degree to earn money for a ferrari in 20 years time or no uni and have the money for a cheap car now

I no that sound really point blank and horrible but i dunno how else to say it, its not meant to sound mean :blush:

It's an interesting debate i.e. that no-one should have anything that they cannot afford to buy for themselves but it seems fundamentally flawed, perhaps because I am a housewife with no income :shrug: If Mr TwoBears took your argument to its logical conclusion he would be eating out tonight in a fancy restaurant whilst I sat at home eating macaroni cheese. Oh wait, that is exactly what IS happening :wacko:

I think Andy is just being a nice Dad though and I would do exactly the same for my own child. In fact, I just bought her a brand new car for her 21st, taxed and insured it for her and I pay for all her fuel!! I also let her and her boyfriend live rent free in my house but in return they do a lot of work for me, not paid work as such but they certainly get a lot of 'freebies' and we are all happy with the arrangement. I guess every family is different?

i dont want this to come across horribly but im sure it will so please forgive me,

if you cant afford it you dont get it!

i cant afford a Ferrari, so i don't own a Ferrari

if he cant afford an insurance premium, he doesn't get insurance,

If i want said Ferrari i do all i can to get it tightening belt etc, its all about priority, When i was 17 on a apprentice wage,

i was earning about £450 a month, £350 of that went to insurance the other £100 on fuel to get to and from work but in turn i sacrificed, going out with friends on a Saturday night or buying nice new clothes, or new phone and other gadgets etc, Because my priority was the car

Same with a friend i have now he cant understand how we both earn similar but i can afford my car and he was just getting by running a civic, difference is he was spending £150-200 a month on games, DVDs and sweets from tesco to sit in and watch most night with a £20 dominos twice a week, where as i dont,

Like you say hes off to UNI which i guessing is his life choice, i still know people who went to uni but haven't got a car but that was there life choice and you cant have everything, No car now and a Degree to earn money for a ferrari in 20 years time or no uni and have the money for a cheap car now

I no that sound really point blank and horrible but i dunno how else to say it, its not meant to sound mean :blush:

I get you exactly :thumbs: - it was also the way I was brung up

but life is very different from when I was a kid and since I can afford to, I will support him as much as i can (within reason). If I see he's starting to take the P*ss, then action WILL be taken to address it.

We did his UNI budget last week...............he ain't gonna have a lot to play with after all commitments are met, ergo - he will have to get a job in York - I'm not paying for him to P*ss it up a wall (if you know what I mean)