my insurance is due!

Spatt

Wanted some advice on insuring my car with modifications... since i want to cover my arse if something should happen.

Can any one recommend an insurance company who don't rip you off for mods?

thanks in advance.

Matt

Sky insurance, Adrian Flux, Chris Knott and try Brent Acre...

I'm with sky at the moment as they matched all quotes...

On my previous car I was with Brent Acre - their quote can be either very good or very bad lol with my previous car it was good and they don't charge extra for the modifications (unless its something major like turbo or supercharger etc)

Get as many quotes as you can basically... Others will try to match it.

Cheers Vlad.. thanks for the advice!

yeh, no major mods for me (Not like yours anyway haha) just the usual pop charger, wheel spacers, exhaust mods, uprated breaks but i dont want to get stung if something should happen.

:thumbs:

thanks again, i'll give them all a call

Thumbs up from me for Sky, I have both cars insured with them :thumbs: But try different insurers as each will load their policies differently given age, location etc.

The ones mentioned above are a good starting point as they're associated with the forum.

I had about 15 mods with Admiral. It's all about how they note them, so if you have a cat back exhaust plus headers and HFC's, thats only 1 mod with them as its all exhaust.

The only issue is you wont get money for them if the car gets stolen or they get damaged, they only deal in OEM parts, but its great for cheap insurance to get you on the road legally :)

I had about 15 mods with Admiral. It's all about how they note them, so if you have a cat back exhaust plus headers and HFC's, thats only 1 mod with them as its all exhaust.

The only issue is you wont get money for them if the car gets stolen or they get damaged, they only deal in OEM parts, but its great for cheap insurance to get you on the road legally :)

I ran through a quote today and it gave me the option to add cover to mods for an extra £29.95/yr.

Edited by liamgdr

I just renewed with Admiral... i told them everything that was on the car and it only went up 20quid...

My body kit and other 'factory options' will be covered and replaced in the event of a claim but any other aftermarket parts are NOT covered and will NOT be replaced.

I ran through a quote today and it gave me the option to add cover to mods for an extra £29.95/yr.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Im going to try this, thanks for the heads up!

Yes, but it's only to the value of £500 or 10% of the value of the vehicle, whichever is lower. Waste of time once you have a set of alloys or an exhaust system fitted. Great for insuring you £12.99 stubby aerials, though :thumbs:

So would they knock the value of exhaust off the overall claim if car stolen? Or just not pay out over and above list price?

It would be list price only. If you had a £3k set of Volks TE37's stolen and your car left on bricks, you'd get standard OEM 18's, Rays if you're super lucky lol

So basically they declare that you have the modifications and get you not he road legally, but refuse to cover the cost of them. After all, if you have a TT kit installed, that would likely cost more than the rest of the car.

Edited by KyleR

If you have a second car, or a misus - maybe try Admiral multicar

It shaved a couple of hundred quid off my quote vs just a single car policy (which was also with the admiral group)

me and the wife have our cars with admiral multicar and when we asked to be put on each others cars as named drivers it dropped the total policy by £150

i only pay £250 for the z with protected no claims though they are being funny over my current mods

might try adrian flux next year as they do multicar

Another thumbs up for Admiral here. Both they and Direct Line were several hundred pounds cheaper than the next nearest quote I got. Interestingly when I told Direct Line about my cobra cat-back exhaust they said it didn't add anything to the premium at all - although as others have pointed out the cost of a replacement exhaust wasn't covered.

• 2 weeks later...

Just renewed with Flux Direct for £316 fully comp with 7 mods declared and for an extra £26 for the year have an agreed fixed valuation of £14k so if the car gets written off i get £14k and not market value. Bargain. Mods are all covered so its like for like replacment if any of them get damaged. £250 excess.. HAPPY DAYS..

The cheapest I'm getting is £400 with Admiral. I'm 33, 10 years NCB, clean licence and live in a decent area. Not sure if it's good or not, doesn't seem great compared to what others are saying but I couldn't get a better price anywhere.

The cheapest I'm getting is £400 with Admiral. I'm 33, 10 years NCB, clean licence and live in a decent area. Not sure if it's good or not, doesn't seem great compared to what others are saying but I couldn't get a better price anywhere.

Have you tried our scheme Lee?