Toyo Proxie's or Falken 452's

Argyll

Proxies or 452's  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Proxies or 452's

• Toyo Proxie's T1-R's
    • Falken 452's

I've no doubt that if the Nissan guys owned up they would say there are better tyres than the stones for ZED but as they probably cost Nissan about 50p a corner its stones we get from new (same applies to most other Jap cars - Bridgestone have corned that market :rant: ) . They then rely on the average punter (not people like us) to renew with the same tyres to boost their profits.

Having said that, Nissan arn't about to sell their cars with tyres not up job for the type motoring the various models are likely to be used for. I'm solely talking here about average road use here, not track, ice or similar extreme conditions. Reading this thread and numerous others before on which tyres are best and the helpful advice that someone who posted the attached site a while back:

www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible.html

It seems a number of the familiar makes all have their good and not so good traits.

I am not sure how anybody can be sure they have chosen the best tyre for ZED without trying out each type on the same car in exactly the same conditions. For me, I am probably inclined towards the Toyos when I need to replace the stones. Why? because they don't get bad reports from you guys and are at a reasonable price with decent longevity and yes I amit to finding the tread pattern the coolest - daft reason I know but am I alone in that thinking - see pic below of the Toyos on PINGU2's car below and compare to the more boring tread pattern on the blue ZED (no offence Cavey ;) )?

P9090011.jpg

Lets face it we all like to see mods to the cars that really work well in the looks department - isn't that really why Toyos appeal to many, and not just ZED owners? OK so price also comes into it and there is cut-price rubbish out there, in the same way that the most expensive does not mean the best (unless you are Armani man and that's what matters :lol: )

Also, we all want to think that the replacement tyres we have chosen are better. But anything is likely to be better because its being compared to (usually) worn out tyres that are way past their best. I also wonder just how many want to believe the replacement tyres are better when in fact they might not be but having shelled out several hundred pounds its a brave owner who puts their hand up and says they are worse are at best no better than those before?

Apologies for the ramble :blush: but whilst it is interesting to see the various comparisons I can't help thinking we sometimes get carried away with what appeals (me included!), without really being sure we have opted for a tyre that has been scientifically proven to be the best tyre that suits the ZED for the average road conditions we have in the UK.

Some very good points here. Particularly:

- Most of us change tyres when our old ones are shot, so of course they seem fantastic

- Most of us haven't had the opportunity to test a number of different makes back to back on a Zed to give an accurate comparison

Wise words, oh sage! :notworthy:

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest prescience

With my S/C Z, the stones couldn't cut it, the toyos could - simple as that :teeth:

plus I did have 19"s with the toyos, but still :p

• 1 month later...

Recently (in the last few weeks) had a new set of Falken's fitted and they are excellent compared to my Bridgestones. But they are brand new so I would hope to see an improvement!

Certainly seems to have more grip, with a noticeable improvement on damp/greasy roads.

Under £420 for the set (Front 225/45 R18 and Rear 245/45 R18) fitted at a local garage, all arranged through blackcircles.com

This is a timely thread as I am looking to replace my rear tires. I had the same decision last time round when I did the fronts and went for Falken 452s. I think its generally thought that the Toyos are a better tyre but not by that much. Both middle ground tyres compared to the likes of Eagle F1s etc.

At the moment the best I have found is

Falken 452s - £93 = £186 Delivered or £206 Fitted

Toyo T1-R - £120.50 = £241 Delivered or £261 Fitted

£55 difference or 25% if a fair chunk

(Both prices were from www.camskill.co.uk)

This is a timely thread as I am looking to replace my rear tires. I had the same decision last time round when I did the fronts and went for Falken 452s. I think its generally thought that the Toyos are a better tyre but not by that much. Both middle ground tyres compared to the likes of Eagle F1s etc.

I have a pair of barely worn RE040 rears in the garage if you want to wait until you replace all 4 with the same brand..... ;)

I have the Toyos on all the cars in the house, so I would recommend them. Plenty of people here rate the Falkens too. Might be worth checking price for fronts too so you know what you're letting yourself in for when they are ready. BUT, I would mainly recommend doing all four in one go...... :)

I have a pair of barely worn RE040 rears in the garage if you want to wait until you replace all 4 with the same brand..... ;)

The same set you offered me years ago and didn't answer your pm's about? :lol::p

The same set you offered me years ago and didn't answer your pm's about? :lol::p

:lol: Yup, I was doing more interesting things! :p

• 1 month later...

Falkens all the way imo... I've just fitted my second set after being very happy with the first set. Better than the Bridgestones in the wet and dry in my experience and are much better suited to UK weather. They're a lot cheaper too!

EDIT: BTW, I got about 15k miles out of the last set, with the fronts only starting to wear a bit. I replaced all 4 to keep the handling balanced though!

Does it matter what size of wheels you have on the car as to which tyres are most suitable? It seems that there are a large number of you think that either the Toyos or the Falkens are a good replacement for the Bridgestones on the standard UK wheels, but what about the 17" wheels on the JDM? Is it more to do with the car and its suspension setup rather than the wheels themselves?

Does it matter what size of wheels you have on the car as to which tyres are most suitable? It seems that there are a large number of you think that either the Toyos or the Falkens are a good replacement for the Bridgestones on the standard UK wheels, but what about the 17" wheels on the JDM? Is it more to do with the car and its suspension setup rather than the wheels themselves?

My JDM came with 17" rims Jim, with Bridgestones on , and yes they were bloody awful, just the same feel to them as when I put 18" rims on with Bridgestones :blush:

My JDM came with 17" rims Jim, with Bridgestones on , and yes they were bloody awful, just the same feel to them as when I put 18" rims on with Bridgestones :blush:

Mine still has the Dunlop Direzzas that were on the car when I got it, and they seem to have been much better than the 'stones. They are now getting close to needing replacement and I have been thinking about the Falkens. Just wanted to check that they would be equally suitable for the 17" rims.

I have just fitted Toyo proxies yesterday and I had falkens on before. the difference is amazing. so much more tracion in the wet and dry, more grip round the bends, much better feel of getting the power down. all in all you would have to threaten my whole family and have your finger firmly on the button, before I ever went nack to Falkens.

Why have hamburger, when you can have steak!!

;)

I have just fitted Toyo proxies yesterday and I had falkens on before. the difference is amazing. so much more tracion in the wet and dry, more grip round the bends, much better feel of getting the power down. all in all you would have to threaten my whole family and have your finger firmly on the button, before I ever went nack to Falkens.

Why have hamburger, when you can have steak!!

;)

Fitted Toyo's to what though?

im just deciding on these two tires as well im having 255/35/18 at the front and 275/35/18's on the rear the toyo's for me are about 85 quid for a full new set so cant make my mind up

Where are you getting Toyos for that price?