LED Reflectors DRL's

LloydZee

Looking good Martinjj, was wondering if you are planning to remove some LED on the pcb? Something like missing 2 LEDs after every 2, so that it doesn't look like a continuous strip?

Edit: having said that, might get away with an insert to create the look whilst maintaining the brightness.

Edited by veeg33

was wondering if you are planning to remove some LED on the pcb? Something like missing 2 LEDs after every 2, so that it doesn't look like a continuous strip

I don't think that would really work on this project as for it to be done correctly you would need a shroud around the back and sides of each pair of LED to stop the light from merging so much, also bear in mind the photos were taken indoors under house light I dare say in real day time use you will see the lights as being single but still very bright, I won't find that out until Saturday though when I have daylight hours to run that test as I finish work at 6pm during the week the light is fading.

Edited by Martinjj
  • Like 1

Would it be difficult to make these fit pre facelift though? Or would the pcb have to be a different size?

I have black reflectors already with leds in them but the leds have failed and they really bother me. It don't want to go back to the amber reflectors. Or are you considering making pre facelift later on?

Would it be difficult to make these fit pre facelift though? Or would the pcb have to be a different size?

I have black reflectors already with leds in them but the leds have failed and they really bother me. It don't want to go back to the amber reflectors. Or are you considering making pre facelift later on?

These pcb's are custom made to an exact fit for the facelift reflectors so deffo would not fit the pre-facelift, Give me a couple of weeks to get these facelift ones finalised and i will definatly come up with something for the pre-facelift guys.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Just an update for you guys who are interested in these, finally after a two week wait more LED's have been delivered to me today which means i can move on to making up the final item and getting them onto the car..

I'm saving up pennies for these..... It's also in the Xmas wish list 😇

• Like 1

I shall be trialing these on my car in four or five days once a relay i have ordered turns up, there will be no wiring visible inside the reflector on the final item, apologies for the dark background but the lights are so bright they mess around with the white balance on the camera too much.

DRL_1_zpsce20abed.jpg

DRL_2_zps538deadd.jpg

TURN_SIG1_zpsbb4f0b2c.jpg

DRL_TURN1_zpscf41a6a5.jpg

• Like 1

^^ Very cool and nice n' bright. :sun:

Sure are, i have a set running in the kitchen now (just testing thermal build up), everytime i go in to check on them i'm seeing stars for 5 minutes everytime i blink.. and the good news is they are getting slightly warm as expected and staying the same temp..

Edited by Martinjj

• 2 weeks later...

Ok folks! There's a slight change to plan with theses DRLs, the ones pictured I am sort of happy with so they will be going on my own car in the next few days, however this is only for getting the wiring sorted out.

Since my last update I have been working on a new PCB design, two designs Infact, absolutely knockout if I say so myself,

Design one is as above but now with 24 white and 24 Amber leds and hidden wiring, the first batch of PCBs will be manufactured in White.

Design two is an out and out DRL comprising 48 LED in total and will initially be on a black PCB for use with tinted reflectors ( a stealthy look ). Again the wiring will be hidden completely.

Both designs are right now at the PCB manufacturers and should be with me in around ten days.

There is no change to LED type, the diodes will still be Nichia superflux.

• Like 2