Any martial Art nuts ?

SJ350z

Jeet Kun Do isn't a martial Art you can just go and learn like TKD. It's an adaptation from Bruce Lee. His own perfected style and how he fights. I think there is one club that " trains " people in JKD and needless to say I bet you can already tell how I feel about it :lol:

Itching to start training BJJ and already have my gi :p Will be cross training with Muay Thai most likely and then just general MMA training.

Least it'll keep me busy in the evenings whilst keeping my fit :D Also teaches you respect for yourself. I always believe that if you don't truly respect yourself.. its hard to respect others.

• Like 2

Jeet Kun Do isn't a martial Art you can just go and learn like TKD. It's an adaptation from Bruce Lee. His own perfected style and how he fights. I think there is one club that " trains " people in JKD and needless to say I bet you can already tell how I feel about it :lol:

Yeah I could never find a club that did JKD for obvious reasons.

I had several books on Jeet Kune Do (written by Bruce Lee & some by previous students) which I used to self teach myself as best I could for many years when I was younger ~ also had a book I studied about perfecting the 1" punch and the study of Chinese Gung Fu.

I have no real idea of how much of it has stayed with me but I was able to comfortably defend myself when I needed to several times when younger ~ maybe it was just a confidence booster.

I have been to Taekwondo lessons which I never really liked much and tbh much prefered kick boxing when I tried it. Never kept it up though but my brother did and has won a few tournaments although this was never my sort of thing ~ only fight if I have to/need to. ;)

Anything that involves chokes, like BJJ, JUDO, SUB WRESTLING is a must if your are serious about MMA! You can hit someone with a bat and if they have enough adrenaline they'll keep coming at you! Choke the person out however and regardless of how strong and tough they are, they're going to sleep!

One on one, there is no better art form than BJJ, PROVEN!!!!!

Anything that involves chokes, like BJJ, JUDO, SUB WRESTLING is a must if your are serious about MMA! You can hit someone with a bat and if they have enough adrenaline they'll keep coming at you! Choke the person out however and regardless of how strong and tough they are, they're going to sleep!

I do a bit of casual Brazilian Jui Jitsu (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brazilian_jiu-jitsu) but not graded or anything, literally learn a few holds and moves. It ties in quite nicely with my gym work as it adds some flexibility, and mobility work, but also teaches me to use my considerable strength/weight to use with minimal injury to myself or opponent.

• Like 1

:stir:

When a martial art becomes a sport. I ceases to be a martial art, as it is a 'sport'.

:stir:

:snack: :snack:

I agree in some cases, for instance I think tae-kwon-do is a bit of a joke in the Olympics but traditional style is another story.

Wouldn't say Taekwondo is a bit of a joke, you are welcome to attend out Academy any time you wish

and have a go with our training, let me know..!

http://martinace.com...ut-the-academy/

I didn't say it was Taekwondo was a joke i said when it gets taken to the Olympics it becomes one. I like taekwondo as a hole, especially traditional styles, but the more modernized alot of martial arts become they seem to wither abit. In the Olympics it seem to solely concentrate on getting one fast kick off and getting out the way as quick as possible. You rarely get to see the combo's and moves which some of these guys/ girls have spent years mastering. My Best friend who got to around the black belt 2nd dan i think, is the one who actually pointed this out to me and made me watch. It's not just Teakwondo but alot of martial arts. The very martial art i used to love and train Muay Thai, which mainly originated to Muay Boran. Now Muay Boran that is one serious martial art, but insanely hard to find somewhere to train it.

• Like 1

Either choke or lock-up the opponent, anything to neutralise the opponent

• Like 2

Depending on the rules, if none i would take the side of an art along the lines of Krav Manga.

Krav Maga....unless you wanna draw them to death :lol:

That's why there is no best because they all follow there own rules. Not involving death is a large factor to a lot of martial arts :lol:

You wrote Krav Manga....so..........

Was impressed by russian Sambo. I think that was Fedor Emelianenko's background and he was undefeated for a long time

Edited by BulletMagnet
  • Like 1

The friend who is teaching me BJJ has also done aikido for 15 years and BJJ now for about 8 years. Needless to say that despite being much stronger than him, he gets the better of me every time. He just knows how to throw me off balance, or use my momentum against me, and manages to get me into a hold using decent leverage which whilst doesn't break anything is incapacitating - he hasn't been able to get a choke hold on me yet (I'm sure it'll happen) but if the scrap gets on the floor he'd most probably win. The only thing I have against him is strength which does play it's part if (and only if, I don't have his skill) I can utilise it in the right way. I think if we were trying to hurt one another we'd both end up with injuries but he'd probably end up having the upper hand.

It was a very humbling experience when I first started it really proved to me that the RIGHT martial art with the right attitude (i.e. you're not invincible), and skill you can overpower most people. I really was impressed and went home sore and somewhat surprised. Despite playing 10+ years of rugby and considering myself reasonably tough, if you keep within the rules (no gauging of the eyes, yanking on genitals, or ripping of throat, or breaking of limbs) it's VERY hard work which requires a huge amount of skill.

In a drunken pub brawl you'd end up (if sober and all your wits about you) overcoming the antagonist. Someone charges at you, having the skills to transfer the attack into defence is pretty much the key to surviving a fight.

Ultimately, if you have some boxing or kick boxing training, and BJJ and are pretty strong and know how to take some knocks you'd make a formidable opponent.

Edited by wmr1980

• 4 weeks later...

I believe no matter what martial art you focus on, if you train hard and dedicate yourself to it, one is no better than the other. Say for instance, i study itf tkd. If a person of similar level in jiujitsu or a mainly grappling and throwing martial art comes at me, the idea is to take them out in one hit. Whereas jiujitsu is more about submission of the opponent.

anyone who says 'my martial art is better than yours' really needs to have their ego checked. Imo of course.

• Like 1

I believe no matter what martial art you focus on, if you train hard and dedicate yourself to it, one is no better than the other. Say for instance, i study itf tkd. If a person of similar level in jiujitsu or a mainly grappling and throwing martial art comes at me, the idea is to take them out in one hit. Whereas jiujitsu is more about submission of the opponent.

anyone who says 'my martial art is better than yours' really needs to have their ego checked. Imo of course.

I used to always be interested in what the most competent art was and then realisation struck me. The best thing to do is not think that way and avoid conversations of such nature :) Train , enjoy and be humble and respectful